PDA

View Full Version : New guy with exile questions

Tx_medic
10-19-2011, 12:04 AM
First off let me say im new to bows, so im still trying to figure out all the terminology.

This past weekend I purchased a martin rack attack, aka exile. Ive been having some issues with the peep site moving on me and having to adjust it every 3-4 shots. From what ive read I see that this is normal to an extent, but is there anyway to minimize it? Right now id estimate I have roughly 100-150 shots through it. Ive also had some issues with the trg/sos, which I also believe is normal. Im a little confused as to how the sts installs though. Is it secured to the same place on the bow that the trg/sos does?

Im also curious about accessories. I plan on getting a stabilizer, but really have no idea where to start with which one I should pick, is it just trial and error? Are there any in particular anyone would suggest?
Are there any other must have accessories I should be looking at?

Also, this bow is mainly going to be used for bowfishing, with hopefully a few hunts a year if that matters at all.

Money Man
10-19-2011, 04:26 AM
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new bow. A couple words of caution to you, this sport is very addicting. You may find yourself putting off chores, to go out in the back yard and fling some arrows. As for your new bow, please post some pictures so we can all see what you have. How much adjusting do you need to do to the peep? Do you need to move a quarter turn to the right, left, etc? If it is only a small adjustment, you may be able to slide the peep up or down the string a small amount. If it is a bigger adjustment, you may need to add or remove a twist from the string. With the stabilizer, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Do you need it for balance, vibration dampening, or both? Check the bow tuning made easy section of this forum. This link is for peep rotation http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?20083-Peep-Rotation-a-must-read! Good luck.

MLN1963
10-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Welcome to the website!

I hope I am misunderstanding something here, but if I am not, I have to go against money man's suggestion of sliding the peep up and down. That will throw off your aim and ultimately your arrow's point of impact.

As wrong as it seems, you probably need to do the string twist to get where you need to be. If you don't want to do it yourself just bring your bow by your local archery shop and they can make the adjustment for you.

Although this may seem very intimidating to a new comer, it is really simple and worth while to do. I should know, not long ago I was in your same shoes, a newbie. The guys on this sight, YouTube and Google helped me out and I'm off and running now. If you aren't interested in learning how to do things you are in the wrong place. The guys on this site will have fixing, tweaking and adjusting things on your bow before you even have time to get worried about not knowing what you are doing. Stick around and you will have no choice but to learn if you pay attention to what is being said.

Grasshopper, when you can snatch this peep sight from my hand you are ready.......

Tx_medic
10-19-2011, 06:17 AM
Heres some pictures of the bow...i shot it around 30-40 times this morning and ended up not having to mess with the peep, but im wondering if thats just because its 30 degrees cooler then it was when i was shooting this weekend? The only adjustment i was having to do before was move it up and it would usually fix the problem.
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww357/JTI_ShmEric/Bow/2011-10-19_09-30-49_556.jpg

This is the issue i have with the sos, the rubber string stopper broke at some point. There also seems to be a little wear on the strings due to the TRG.
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww357/JTI_ShmEric/Bow/2011-10-19_09-32-19_740.jpg

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww357/JTI_ShmEric/Bow/2011-10-19_09-32-56_943.jpg
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww357/JTI_ShmEric/Bow/2011-10-19_09-33-27_789.jpg

Tx_medic
10-19-2011, 06:17 AM
This is one of my 10 yard groupings from this morning. im still trying to get it sighted in, i almost have it set horizontally, but i couldnt find my allen wrenches to set the pins this morning.
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww357/JTI_ShmEric/Bow/2011-10-19_08-36-56_685.jpg

gravedigger
10-19-2011, 10:18 AM
First off let me say im new to bows, so im still trying to figure out all the terminology.

This past weekend I purchased a martin rack attack, aka exile. Ive been having some issues with the peep site moving on me and having to adjust it every 3-4 shots. From what ive read I see that this is normal to an extent, but is there anyway to minimize it? Right now id estimate I have roughly 100-150 shots through it. Ive also had some issues with the trg/sos, which I also believe is normal. Im a little confused as to how the sts installs though. Is it secured to the same place on the bow that the trg/sos does?

Im also curious about accessories. I plan on getting a stabilizer, but really have no idea where to start with which one I should pick, is it just trial and error? Are there any in particular anyone would suggest?
Are there any other must have accessories I should be looking at?

Also, this bow is mainly going to be used for bowfishing, with hopefully a few hunts a year if that matters at all.

welcome to MTF.the peep thing you have going on will be a twist or two in either direction.first off make sure your bow is in spec...ATA(axle to axle),BH(brace height) and lets start from there for now.i would put 2 or 300 shots through your bow to make sure your string has settled,then make the fix for your peep.if you dont like the TRG/SOS then give martin a call and they will send you a STS and rod/slide.picking out a stab is your choice.go to a pro shop and fit a few on your bow,take some shots and find what fits you best.

the bows are very ez to work on.no bow press needed.stick around and learn a few things,have fun.if your in the market for new string then check out our in house string builder.http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?11745-Custom-strings-for-sale!

champno6
10-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Just wondering what kind(s) of problems are you having with your TRG/SOS? I assume since you only recently purchased it you haven't had a chance to shoot it much and based on what I've been reading it appeared most of the problems with the TRG/SOS weren't surfacing right away. Apparently some others have had some problems however it also seems like some guys haven't had any problems whatsoever. Also wondering what poundage you are shooting and was wondering if most of the problems with the TRG/SOS have been with long draw and/or heavy draw weights. In other words, would say shooting the TRG/SOS at 40-45 #'s and 26-27" draw still cause problems? Just curious, thanks.

HawgEnvy
10-19-2011, 03:07 PM
the TRG/SOS is a problem waiting to happen. though there may be a few cases of people not having issues, the majority have experienced problems with the string/cable ware and the rubber on the SOS tearing. aside from the fact that it robs you of an anchor point since a kisser button cannot be used. i would most certainly in the case of the TRG/SOS,fix it before its broke. let's call it preventative maintanence since a simple phone call to Martin CS will get you the parts that GD mentioned and you can install them and enjoy your bow without worry of the string ware.

the peep sight will stop twisting as much when the string settles. the factory strings are,according to alot of people,low quality. opinions vary on this subject,though. if its an option for you financially,you could order up a set of custom strings and cables. Hutch makes excellent strings at great prices. I've purchased 2 sets of strings from him. both sets seemed to significantly quiet the bows and add a bit of performance. both sets of strings settled in just a few shots and peep rotation is nearly non-existant.

your Rack Attack(a.k.a Exile,Cheetah)is a sweet shooter and i'm sure you will enjoy it. it will serve you well as a bowfishing rig or a hunting rig. you've got a great bow. enjoy it. if you need help,just ask. the only stupid question is the one not asked. we're your on-line pro shop and you'll be doing all this stuff yourself. its easier than you think. Welcome to the forum

and as far as a stabilizer goes,pick up a Sims S-coil. this bow balances well and really doesnt need anything more. but that all personal preference. just like everything else archery related

MLN1963
10-19-2011, 03:27 PM
No disrespect guys, but I wouldn't try get this guy too concerned over his brand new bow. The worst thing we can do is having him regret buying it before he even gets started.

TX

Take a deep breath, relax breath. Your bow is okay as is. If you want to in the future you can do everything we said. For now IMO and my opinion only I think at 200 shots your sting is settled in. I know my Hammerhead string was at that point. So maybe all you need to do is put a half or full twist on your string. Take a couple shots, 10-20, to let it settle in and see if it is in the right position. If not make 1/2 twist adjustments. Another option if you don't want to mess with it you can always put a tube sight in. My son prefered that so it is what I put on his. The great thing is he never has to worry about it not being in the right position because the tube pulls it straight every time. Change out the tube every hunting season and you will be problem free.

You can check Axle to axle and brace and all that later. Just get it to where you can shoot it while you are learning about this stuff.

Tx_medic
10-20-2011, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the info so far, ive learned alot from this site already. The problem im having with the TRG/SOS is that the rubber string stop has already broken, and im already starting to get a little bit of string wear, nothing significant, but enough that if its not fixed now it will become a problem down the road. I did have some other issues with the bow when i first bought it, but the more i shoot it the more im starting to like it. The draw is pretty smooth, its comfortable in my hands and im fairly accurate considering i havent been able to get it sighted in properly yet.

Tx_medic
10-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Got another question for yall, I bought the 45-60lb draw, for deer/hog hunting ill be maxing the draw out. Im curious as to what grain arrow/broadhead combo I should be looking for? Should I be shooting the same grain arrow for hunting as the ones I practice with?

bfisher
10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Before answering I'd have to know what arrow you are practicing with.

gravedigger
10-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Got another question for yall, I bought the 45-60lb draw, for deer/hog hunting ill be maxing the draw out. Im curious as to what grain arrow/broadhead combo I should be looking for? Should I be shooting the same grain arrow for hunting as the ones I practice with?

yes.when i buy arrows i buy them in a dozen,i use 8 for hunting and 4 for practice.from what i have been reading a heavy arrow would be best for hog hunting because they have thick skin.something in 450 grn and up.total arrow weight

Tx_medic
10-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Right now im practicing with easton carbon raiders 55-70, im pretty sure they are only sold at dicks..

bfisher
10-20-2011, 03:48 PM
OK, you can hunt with those. They are plenty heavy for hunting. Somw things you should know (learn) though. Choose broadheads that are the same wight as your practice (field) tips. Make sure the fletching (vanes) are either helical or straight/offset.

When you install the broadheads onto the arrows you need to spin-test them to ensure that they don't have any wobble. There are various ways to spin the arrows. You can buy a spin checker. You can find a flat surface such as a coffee table. You can just stand the arrow up almost vertical with the broadhead in the palm of one hand while supporting it between two fingernails of the other hand and blow on the vanes to get it to spin. If the tip wobbles you'll feel it. You'll likely feel the tip trying to bore a hole in your palm, too, LOL.

Now that you're this far you noew need a copy of Easton's Tuning Guide. I believe we have links to it in the Tuning Forum. This is an indispensible piece of gear that will come in handy for many years. It covers almost anything you need to kow about basic setups to several good methods of tuning the bow/arrow combination. Read it and use it.

Tx_medic
10-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Talked to Martin customer service about the trg/sos system and getting it replaced. They said Id have to take it to a proshop and have them call customer service saying they will fix it. Problem is customer service is not open weekends, and thats the only time id be able to go.

I guess Im gonna have to order the parts myself now to fix it, does anyone know thw exact part numbers /parts I need to replace it?

MLN1963
10-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Talked to Martin customer service about the trg/sos system and getting it replaced. They said Id have to take it to a proshop and have them call customer service saying they will fix it. Problem is customer service is not open weekends, and thats the only time id be able to go.

I guess Im gonna have to order the parts myself now to fix it, does anyone know thw exact part numbers /parts I need to replace it?

That is not cool, they sent me mine to the house. I spoke with Ryan Martin but it shouldn't matter who it was. I spoke to Brandon and Joel in the past too and both were pretty good about sending parts to the house. Now if it was cams or something I could see their point, but not a TRG and cable slide. I swapped it out in about 5 minutes. I would call them back and ask them politely to send it directly to you explaining that you are mechanically able to make such a simple swap and it would be a real inconvenience not to mention costly for something you can easily handle yourself. Even offer to send back the TRG if they want it.

bfisher
10-25-2011, 05:57 AM

The STS is part # 8897. Cable slide is BP-50. Cable rod is CG7C for the carbon rod and CG5 for the doglegged steel one; either will work, but the CG-5 might give you more options for adjusting fletching clearance.

By the way, Mark made a good suggestion about asking about shipping the parts directly to you. These are about as easy as pie to swap. Be sure and ask how long the rod should be if you get that. Don't want to get one that's too short.

MLN1963
10-25-2011, 06:11 AM
By the way, Mark made a god suggestion about asking about shipping the parts directly to you. These are about as easy as pie to swap. Be sure and ask how long the rod should be if you get that. Don't want to get one that's too short.

I made no God like suggestions, far be it from me to even think such a thing. My only God suggestion would be that you don't be a stranger to him.

If you meant I made a good suggestion, Thanks! :cool:

bfisher
10-25-2011, 06:36 AM
I made no God like suggestions, far be it from me to even think such a thing. My only God suggestion would be that you don't be a stranger too him.

If you meant I made a good suggestion, Thanks! :cool:

Yes, a mispelling which has been corrected. I need to proofread before I hit the submit button.

Tx_medic
10-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Talked to brad today with c/s, hes sending me out the replacement parts.

MLN1963
10-26-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm glad you didn't give up and called them back. See, I told you they would send direct, it just took a little persistence!

Tx_medic
10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Yup, and with the extra cash I have from not having to buy that, I may just have to order some custom strings from Hutch!

justin
10-26-2011, 11:52 AM
I shrongly recomend him, if you need strings!