PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Arrow Comparison

Kodiak
09-13-2007, 12:54 AM
I shoot a Phantom Fuzion and am currently using Gold Tip 5575 with 100 gr field points at 71#, 29" draw length and am attaining 273 fps. Are their new carbon arrows with a stiffer spline that will allow me to back it down to say 65 lbs and still attain the same speed as with the Gold Tips?

bfisher
09-17-2007, 08:30 AM
A couple things. #1---arrows done have a sline. It's spine and is a measure of the stiffness of the arro. #2----your 5575's are underspined for the setup you are using. You need to be shooting 7595's at that length and weight. Or turn the bow's weight down to about 65#. #3---In either case you are not going to get the same speed you are getting now. Your going to lose about 10 fps, but that is much better than having arrows that won't fly right with broadheads on them.

You have your concept backwards in a way. Assuming you are using GT XT 5575 if you go to a 7595 XT (stiffer) you're going to lose some speed. The other option you have is to look at arrows that weigh less, but are stiffer. You can look at Gold Tip's Ultralite series of arrows. In these you would want to use either the UL 300 or the UL 22 series.

But a cheaper alternative is to just keep the arrows you have, turn the bow down as I suggested, and lose that 10 fps. For a hunting setup and average shots under 30 yards you'll never see the speed difference nor will the animal.

Kodiak
09-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks bfisher I was under the impression that the number on the shaft referred to the weight range of the bow. At 70-73# I have always shot the 5575's and they handle broadheads fine with no planeing occuring. I never take a shot over 40 yards anyway and know the animal doesn't see it coming.
I know an arrow doesn't have a spline (its spine), but they don't have a sline either ha, ha. Anyway, thanks for the info I was just trying to see if their was an arrow out their that would allow me to attain the IBO rating of 305 fps for this bow.

-------------------------------

Phantom Fuzion
71# DW 29" DL
QuicTune 1000 rest
6" stabilizer
Four pin optic sights
Gold Tip 5575
SIMS Limbsavers

bfisher
09-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Ok, you got me on that one. My fingers got ahead of my brain on the spelling. Seriously though, the 5575 usually doesn't work well much above 65# at any length around 29" or more. Yeh, it can be done, but they get awfully squirrely for most people. And you are assuming correctly about the marking of the arrow. Theoretically they should work from 55 to 75#. When comparing them with other shafts though you must know that they are are a 400 spine (spline or whatever). LOL.

As a shooter for Gold Tip I go through this a lot. I wish they would just relabel the arrows like 50-65 as it is confusing for most folks.

As I said before, if you are looking for the speed and want a decent line cutter you should look at the 22 series. These only weigh 7.3 gr/inch so would be pretty light when finished. Mine are only 27" long with 80gr glue-in points and weigh right around 300 grains depending on the fletching I use.

For you, you're going to want more mass weight so you could use inserts and screw-in points with vanes on the tail end and be pretty close to 5gr/lb.

On GT's website click on products, then build your own arrow. See what you can come up with.

Thanks bfisher I was under the impression that the number on the shaft referred to the weight range of the bow. At 70-73# I have always shot the 5575's and they handle broadheads fine with no planeing occuring. I never take a shot over 40 yards anyway and know the animal doesn't see it coming.
I know an arrow doesn't have a spline (its spine), but they don't have a sline either ha, ha. Anyway, thanks for the info I was just trying to see if their was an arrow out their that would allow me to attain the IBO rating of 305 fps for this bow.

-------------------------------

Phantom Fuzion
71# DW 29" DL
QuicTune 1000 rest
6" stabilizer
Four pin optic sights
Gold Tip 5575
SIMS Limbsavers