PDA

View Full Version : How Windy Is Too Windy To Deer Hunt?

MLN1963
11-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I planned on going hunting with my father-in-law this evening. That was until the wind started kicking up, even in a blind I don't think it would be any fun. I have heard that deer bed down if it gets too windy, not that they will blow over, but that they can't hear well so they get nervous and bed down. I'm not sure that I believe that as a blanket statement but I tend to think there is some merit to it. I mean if it has been windy for a couple days they will eventually need to get up and eat and drink.

What I am asking is when do you say enough is enough and not even go out? I understand there are different methods of hunting and a ground blind user may endure more winds than a tree stand user. I'm thinking more along the lines that you won't waste your time because the deer will be holed up (if you believe in that).

Feel free to make comments for your reasoning. E.G. Today the winds were 35 gusting 45 so I didn't go out. I think the deer will be laying low and I would be wasting my time.

darkember
11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Don't have that issue in the UK. I'm afraid it is illegal to hunt with a bow in this country:( I'll be stuck to targets & 3D shoots. I may have a go at some rabbits when my aim gets gets better on my m8's farm land.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Truly shooting a bow in the wind is not the best conditions. But I have shot in heavy winds before and hit the mark. But would I hunt, I would have to say no.

Hutch:cool:

MLN1963
11-02-2011, 12:32 PM
I hear you Bill. I was more thinking along the lines of when do you think it's too windy because the game won't be moving? Even 15 MPH can be dicey with a bow for me. That is one nice thing about the ground blinds, it's not very windy in them. I'm not saying they are the way to go, they are just an option.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I hear you Bill. I was more thinking along the lines of when do you think it's too windy because the game won't be moving? Even 15 MPH can be dicey with a bow for me. That is one nice thing about the ground blinds, it's not very windy in them. I'm not saying they are the way to go, they are just an option.Yeah I did but I checked 25 to 30 mph wasn't thinking LOL. And deer would be laying down in the wind. They spook real easy. But I always like to go because the opportunity of spooking one up is greater.

Speedykills
11-02-2011, 01:43 PM
30-35 mph ....................

bob cooly
11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
If you can find a place out of the wind the deer will too. They don't like the wind because it compromises their senses, strong winds make it difficult to smell as the scent disapates rapidly, their hearing is impaired just like ours with trees creaking and leaves blowing and lastly it affects their sight, everything is moving and its harder for them to detect danger. But, if your can find a little couly or creek bottom, any place out of the blasts, you'll find deer.

gravedigger
11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
i will hunt any place any conditions.wind,snow,rain im in the hunt.most people would stay home so at that time i would head out.wind helps the stalk,you wont be heard by them deer,or elk for me.

MLN1963
11-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm starting to see a trend here. Windy days could be great spot and stalk days.

Are these days where you possibly get a shot at deer lying on the ground?

gravedigger
11-02-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm starting to see a trend here. Windy days could be great spot and stalk days.

i guess that depends on if your in the right place at the right time.cloudy nights when it is good and dark the deer should be beded down,that early morning of the cloudy night would be a great time tohunt,better if it was good and windy.nights with full moon the deer will be moveing,that morning most likely they will bed down.

i have not herd much about deer beding down in high wind.but that is out my way.the hunting is probly difffernt out your way.

MLN1963
11-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Maybe they aren't bedded down, maybe they have sought shelter like Bob was talking about? Maybe that is why you don't see them and people think they are bedded down?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Lots of times they will go into thick brush or under fur trees. I have seen them crawl out from under the branches of a fur tree. Most of the ones I have seen are in valleys where there is less wind and noises.

Double S
11-02-2011, 03:48 PM
I voted for 20-25 mph. It's what the winds bring with it that matters to me. I hunt mainly in desert terrain. So when the winds pick up, the deer head for the nearest bush for cover. Usually the winds picks up sand which ain't no fun to be in when it swirls around you. When the dust and sand is blowing then I'm worried about visibility. Where I live is windy as I live near the river in a canyon. Plus, the higher the winds, Then my max shooting distance will drop. That's what i think. I use fobs for that reason. I believe they are better than 2 inch blazers or fusions in Windy Conditions. I will shoot my Fobs in a heart beat in windy conditions at farther distances. If I just had Blazers on me I would either shorten my effective distance or not even shoot at all. The effective distance would differ from person to person. It's what your comfortable with. If I can't see or my bow hand is all over the place because of the wind then I'm not shooting at all. It's time to stop and wait for the winds to die down. The deer in my area will usually find cover to get out of the wind by finding the nearest grouping of bushes to use as wind block or drop down into a draw for cover. Draws are great places to find deer in windy conditions. They cannot hear Predators coming so they fell safer out of the wind. My .2 cents. The terrain matters.

Money Man
11-02-2011, 03:57 PM
I will hunt in the wind, but I find myself doing more walking because it covers noise. I do call it quits if the wind is blowing branches out of the trees. Some days the wind needed to do that may be faster than other days, so I don't have a set number (mph). I have had several limbs and a couple trees come down near me. They call those things widow makers for a reason. I get into the woods early and it seems that the wind always comes up with the sun.

HawgEnvy
11-03-2011, 05:01 AM

windy days ARE great spot and stalk days. not much worry for Team M1. lol! your noise and movements blend in with the everything else. down side is,so do the deer's. keep your eyes peeled. set your blind for the first couple hours of light,then start the stalking. the deer live in the elements. when they're hungry,they'll eat. when their horny,they'll be looking for action. find the bedding areas and start there. they'll stay relatively close to cover,but they'll still need food and water. wind is a good sign of a front moving in and the movement tends to pick up at this time. just stay alert. look for horizontal movement. it's more uncomfy for the hunters than it is the deer.

Sounds like GD n I are on the same page. i'll hunt regardless of the weather. but i wont be caught sittin in a tree stand in anything over 15mph winds. i have no problem shooting steady in the wind,but not when i'm being rocked and swayed in a tree. not to mention it makes me nervous. windy days are ground hunting days.

if you can find a cornfield to stalk...thats fun stuff. walk it in a grid pattern.peak through the corn looking down the rows. look low to try seeing their legs moving. if nothing,step into the next row and do the same thing. make your way to the edge of the field then walk up 25-30yds and work your way back the other way. it makes for some VERY close encounters. they could be feeding or bedded. alone or in small groups. in the rows or in small clearings. shots can be difficult,though. i havent been able to do it yet this year and may not have the opportunity. the corn was cut on the property i hunt before i got a chance to hunt it :mad:

Spiker
11-03-2011, 06:36 AM
The only thing I dont like hunting in bad weather conditions, wind-rain-snow, is Turkeys. They tend to just hole-up or stay very close to their roosts.
But deer, elk and antelope - - I like hunting them most when it is raining. Once in awhile I hunt them out of a tree stand or a blind but 90% of the time
it is spot & stalk/still hunting. Rain covers your sound and scent and makes them less likely to bolt because they dont want to go out in it.

Spiker
11-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Don't have that issue in the UK. I'm afraid it is illegal to hunt with a bow in this country:( I'll be stuck to targets & 3D shoots. I may have a go at some rabbits when my aim gets gets better on my m8's farm land.

??? it is illegal to bowhunt but you can hunt rabbits???

MLN1963
11-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Rain covers your sound and scent and makes them less likely to bolt because they dont want to go out in it.

Where are they if they are not out in it?

elkslayer4x5
11-11-2011, 06:33 AM
At around 20 to 25 mph, branches start breaking and the deer will take cover, less that that they move out into the open, where they can see. or at least thats what blacktail deer do. Just sayin. :)