PDA

View Full Version : Whisker biscuit vs. Drop away...

nscshwn08
11-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Just wondering what everyone thought about the pro's and cons of a drop away vs. a biscuit? At the archery shop today the tech was convinced the biscuit was the best thing ever, and a customer was vehement that the drop away was the best thing since sliced bread....

FiddlersGreen
11-04-2011, 07:07 PM
ive always used a biscuit. ive tried dropaways but they just werent my thing. to me its just one more thing to go wrong mechanically. the biscuit is a no frills, easy to adjust, all around simple rest. thats just my opinion though

alex
11-04-2011, 11:28 PM
I also use a WB and like it, but now there are newer rests like Octane Hostage or NAP Quicktune 360,etc. I've never used a drop-away rest, but it seems that most of the archers here in the forum prefer it, because there's no contact with the shaft during the flight with all the benefits of this.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Why not both?
http://midatlanticarchery.com/arrow-rests/

The Tri-Van is both take a look!

Hutch:cool:

HawgEnvy
11-05-2011, 04:55 AM
i prefer drop rests. Trophy Taker,actually. but I'm really liking the G5 Expert 2 on my Quest. the Diamond is sporting the original whisker biscuit. easy to use and adjust. no scratchy sounds like i got from the Hostage pro. so far,so good with the biscuit. no complaints,but still prefer a drop rest.

justin
11-05-2011, 05:05 AM
They bolth work great. The wb is generally lighter and foolproof. Drops are nearly foolproof. But some may have containment issues. Bolth shoot great though.

SJunior
11-05-2011, 05:08 AM
Shot all summer with the whisker biscuit on my Trophy Hunter and liked it. When I bought my Silencer I put a QAD Hunter on it and am liking it also. No preference hear, bot work great.

Irish Sitka
11-05-2011, 05:13 AM
Rip Cord Code Red.

Sharxfan
11-05-2011, 09:37 AM
I had the hostage on my bow and had no noise or containment issues. Now I did loose the whisker part one day walking from the tree to my car so I am not fond of the plastic on it. I am seriously looking at the Quicktune 360 as the adjustment parts are metal and seem less likely to drop off on the walk in and out of the field. Seriously pissed off about that I may look for it the next time I am in that part of the woods.

gravedigger
11-05-2011, 10:09 AM
im also looking into this rest.i think it is kind of cool
http://www.trophyridge.com/arrow-rests/revolution/

Double S
11-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I started out with the WB. They are easy to use but after awhile I was getting excessive wear on one of my vanes. I tried to alleviate the extra contact to no avail. I could tell from the odd wear on the whiskers that something was going on. Instead of replacing the Whiskers, I switched over to a Drop away. Plus I use Starrflight Fobs which cannot be used with a WB. Now I'm using the TrophyTaker Smack down...and I love it. It's easy to adjust and tighten. It connects to my lower limb.

darkember
11-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I'll be fitting the NAP Apache drop away once it finally gets here. Will give feedback once fitted.

Ehunter
11-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I have a NAP Apache, and I think it's a very good rest. I also have 3 Trophy Taker Full containment drop-aways that I use. Very good rests in my opinion. I have a WB on one bow, and while it's a decent rest, I personally don't care much for it. A bit noisier than my drop-aways, due to the fletching slap against the whiskers. To me, the WB is a good rest, but I love the clean flight I get with a drop-away.

RLW
11-07-2011, 05:24 AM
It's drop away for me.
I can’t even get myself to try a Whisker Biscuit. After so many years of trying to tune my bows to achieve 100% vane clearance for the cleanest arrow flight, it just seems so wrong to intentionally shoot an arrow thru a soft whisk broom.........However, I have a friend that really likes his Whisker Biscuit and he generally shoots well with it.
So based on last couple years shooting with him, here’s my personal observation from our 3D shoots and practice sessions.

WHISKER BISCUIT:
• Inexpensive
• Easy install and get decent basic tune
• Good containment at any angle
• Nothing mechanical to go wrong (not sure on affects of snow frozen in whisker?)
• Smaller vanes appear to shoot well out of them, and even the 3 4” helical vanes my friend now uses fly pretty well, but have noticed slight vane wear.
• Accuracy may suffers beyond maybe 30-40yds of what it could be……I have noticed a friend getting some strange arrow flight at targets 45-50yds and out to +/-60 that I believe were Whisker Biscuit caused.

DROP-AWAY:
• More expensive
• Slightly more involved install and tuning, but still not that hard
• My Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter can drop an arrow off if you bump arrow and/or try shooting at some weird angle, but I’ve not had this be a problem. Other full containment rest do not have this issue.
• Operating string can slip when wet causing improper arm operation…...last spring at a 3D shoot is was snowing on us, my rest string slipped and I sent 3-4 shoots under target before I noticed the problem……totally my fault for apparently not getting served in tight enough, but I have since put on one of Trophy Takers wonderful Buss Stop Cable Clamps and have not had another issue.
• I also fell in slick mud/snow at that shoot and packed my rest with mud…….not good (not a good day). Rinsed it off with water I carry and it shot fine. Later at home I took it apart to clean…....not good, maybe worse idea. Took a lot of trouble to get it back together. Next time, only WD-40 or some other lube, and leave it alone.
• Accuracy is as good as it gets. Once the bow is properly tuned with correct arrows, it’s all on the shooter. There is no arrow rest contact to disrupt arrow flight.

Another friend has used whisker biscuit and believes that is the best rest out there for a simple, easy tuned hunting rest for most hunters……….look at his bow and you’ll now see a Rip Cord Code Red drop away

MLN1963
11-07-2011, 06:13 AM
There are a few drop-away rests such as the NAP Apache, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Trophy Taker Xtreme SL and several more that are cheaper than a lot of whisker biscuit rests. So don't rule out a drop-away thinking it is always more expensive than a WB as that just isn't the case.

bfisher
11-07-2011, 07:07 AM
To each his own, but why do you have to limit your choices to a WB or a drop-away? There are many rests on the market that have been used for decades and are still good rests. Star Hunter, Nap 750, Nap Quicktune 1000, Bodoodle (several), and lots of other shoot through rests. Seems like the "containment" craze has taken over these days. Maybe something simple would be a better choice in the long run.

I've only ever had two drop-away rests that I liked. One was a Trapdoor and the other is the Muzzy. Most have some stupid piece of cord that connects to the down cable, which can cause timing issues if it should slip or the string/cables creep. Why do we keep lining the pockets of manufacturers who essentially reverse the spring on a prong rest, attach a cord and go from $20 to $80 or more for some of them? I've a GKF Infiniti ($130) in the junk drawer. Smoothest dropper I've ever seen, but it's got that stupid cord. When are we going to see some real innovation and get rid of the cord?

Contaiment? Who really needs it? I've had people tell me they could use a Bisquit and shoot the bow while standing on their head. My reply is usually something like "Here's my phone number. Call me the next time you shoot your bow while standing on your head."

OK, I've thrown some fuel on the fire.

MLN1963
11-07-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm new to archery. You mean there are other kinds of rests besides WB and drop-aways? No way! :p

tim300wsm
11-07-2011, 08:07 AM
I had a wb and I hated it it seemed to be less accurate I now have a qad ultra rest hdx and I love the drop away once its setup it's just as fool proof as the wb. The down side is cost the hdx is 150+ a wb is 50

Rottzilla
11-07-2011, 08:29 AM
I shoot with a NAP Apache and it is the best rest I have ever had. I have perceived faster speed than with my wb. I am shooting flatter and more tighter groups but groups with my arrows can be dangerous, cause I shoot FOB's so groups break FOB's like they tear off fletchings.

I also got tired of replacing the brushes on the wb. all in all I think the dropaway has been a better rest for me.

Have a blessed day

Will

bbjavelina
11-07-2011, 09:33 AM
I've had biscuits on at least three bows for a number of years. This year they're all coming off. They are not foolproof like I and so many others have thought.

My buddy and I have made two trips to Africa and we both took two bows on each trip. The airlines managed to wreck a biscuit or two on each trip. Both going and coming. Other types of rest may have been wrecked if that's what we would have had. Can't say for sure. In each instance the bows were in top dollar SKB cases. By the way, the SKB $1500.00 content protection guarentee has not yet yielded a penny, but, that's another topic.

I'm not saying the biscuit is bad --- just saying it's not commpletely foolproof.

Best of luck to you.

darkember
11-07-2011, 11:20 AM
WD40 be careful when using it. It is a degreasent & will remove all lubrication from mechanical parts. By all means use it as a deep cleaner then you must dry off & reapply a suitable lubricant such as graphite powder or Tri Flow. I do know since i ride motocycles & it is the one product we steer well clear of unless trying to remove a rusted exhaust stud:D

Speedykills
11-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Whisker biscuit is like training wheels on a bike it's nice to start with but once you get going it's time to move to a dropaway.......ya thats something you would here on AT isnt it...:p.But really ive used both over the years and i prefer a dropaway for me im more accurate at farther distance's and i can get the same containment from many dropaway rest.
But there's absolutely nothing wrong with a WB...................:cool:

bowgramp59
11-07-2011, 03:42 PM
i use the quad hunter rest on all my bows and if they are set right they are better than sliced bread. and they are very easy to set. set the trip cable tight enough for the 2 little white lines under the thumb bar to align. now i didn't say this and don't agree with it, i don't want no one to get mad i'm just repeating what a martin dealer said, WB are for little boys and girls .

dragonsfire311
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I have used both and not had any problems with either. Used the biscuit for 10 years, but switched to a QAD ultra rest on new bow. Never had a fletch tearing issue with biscuit either.

coolsam402
11-07-2011, 07:23 PM
well a buskit contains the arrow and it also slows it down a little when it goes hrough and it can mass up your shot by torking your bow but a drop away elimiATES all thoes things

justin
11-08-2011, 03:26 AM
lol drop aways dont keep your pins from moving when you torque your bow!!! that can affect your poi more that the aarow flight!!!

RLW
11-08-2011, 04:33 AM
WD40 be careful when using it. It is a degreasent & will remove all lubrication from mechanical parts. By all means use it as a deep cleaner then you must dry off & reapply a suitable lubricant such as graphite powder or Tri Flow. I do know since i ride motocycles & it is the one product we steer well clear of unless trying to remove a rusted exhaust stud:D

FYI: your taking to someone with four decades of riding, mostly dirt and know all about WD-40. That was a poor choice of brand names for this topic.........I guess I used "WD-40" as a generic term for a lube as I hear some use "Jeep" for a 4x4 regardless of brand.
I actually use same lubes I use on my guns, like Hoppe's products, Rem-Oil or maybe mentioned Tri-Flow. Lubes I know won't freeze or thicken and cause problems during cold late hunts.