PDA

View Full Version : who's got some good jerky how-to's?

HawgEnvy
11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
lets hear it. i haven't made it in years and sucked at it then. lol. but it sounds really good. i can use the neighbor's smoker or my oven. don't have a dehydrater anymore(that's probably why it didn't turn out so good last time).

Ehunter
11-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Personally, I like it simple. If using cut meat, I just use Liquid smoke, Worchestershire, and Lite Soy Sauce. Soak the meat for about an hour, then dry. Occasionally, I'll throw in some brown sugar for sweeter jerky, or cayenne for spicy jerky. If using burger to make jerky, I just use Cabelas dry mixes. Reasonably cheap, good flavor, and easy to do. The hickory is my favorite. Mix it, let it set for an hour or two, load a jerky gun, and start shooting.

elkslayer4x5
11-11-2011, 06:43 AM
And don't mess with sasquach! :D

ElkSlayer
11-14-2011, 05:24 AM
I use my secret pattened brine. ( years of testing an eating it)
What i will say is you are on the right track but are taking a wrong turn... I leave it in a BRINE for a weak 5 day min.... I do have a dubble sided tupperware jerkey contaner... just fill it up with layers of your meat strips, add brine then every time someone opend fridge, flip contaner over to keep it mixed... then smoke it, with what ever chip flavor you like...do some searchin each chip addds differant type of flavor...to early for me to recall... I just know ,I like the apple with a pan of cherry tosed in between...
DO not be afraide to taste your brine, if you dont like what it tastes like you wont like the jerkey.. brown surgar is KEY.. be brave and mix up some things you think will taste GOOD.... For practice go to the store get some beef roast's lots easer to perfect your brine with that then your hard earned game meat :cool:
signed the.............. Squach

MLN1963
02-02-2012, 09:54 AM
This is my families Frontier Jerky recipe.

1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 Table spoon Worcestershire
2 Table spoon Liquid Smoke
1 pound meat

Adjust amount of ingredients based on amount of meat you are jerking. Mix ingredients, layer meat in non-metallic bowl with tight lid (I prefer zip-lock freezer bags). Marinate for 6-12 hours in refrigerator, stir occasionally.

This is a base and I may make it a little different depending on my mood. The good thing is there is no right or wrong way to make it, someone will always eat it. I usually let it sit overnight as a minimum, sometimes for a few days or until I remember its in the refrigerator. :o

I tried some of the Eastman Outdoors jerky mixes and it is pretty good too. Its kinda spendy but tastes good if you want a change of pace. Whiskey Pepper and sweet bbq are pretty good ones.

bowgramp59
02-07-2012, 04:49 PM
we have a local super market with a deli , they have turkey pestromi may not be spelled corectly, but anyway,
i get them to slice it about 3/16" thick, put some teriyaki sause on it dry in the oven for a couple hrs. @ 140 degrees the only problem is me and my grandkids eat it as quick as it comes out of the oven, cost about $6.00 a lb. the last time i bought some. store bought jerk is $16.00 a lb. or more now!