PDA

View Full Version : Martin / wildcat?

96xjclassic
11-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Hey guys, I just bought my first bow! I got it from a seller on Craigs list. I know its probably not the best place to buy one, but like I said its my first one. We all have to start somewhere, right?
So here is my question, I bought a Martin 60lb draw bow. It looks awesome, it seems to be in great shape. I was told its about 2-1/2 years old. On the limb it says Martin Wildcat. I can't find out any info on it. Any help or info would be great, thanks in advance!

gravedigger
11-08-2011, 02:08 PM
does the bow have a sticker on the bottom limb.if it does then the first two numbers where is says bow # will be the year it was made.and dont worrie about the craigs lits bow buy because i bought my bengal off craigs list and its a great bow....but it was new in the box

if you can please post some pics...we all love to see pics.

welcome to MTF

96xjclassic
11-08-2011, 02:09 PM
It's definitely not new, however it was well loved! Lol.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Welcome to the forum, The Martin Wild Cat is a Jaguar. Wild Cat is just a Dicks Sporting goods name. On your bottom limb sticker should be a serial number the first two digits are the year. Let us know what year it is and we can get you the link for the specs.

Hutch:cool:

96xjclassic
11-08-2011, 02:21 PM
So, based on the first two digits its from '07 . So its a little older than I thought.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Here is a link. http://www.martinarchery.com/pdf/2007Specs.pdf Is your cam on the bottom a mpro or a dyna?

Hutch

96xjclassic
11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Here is 2 pics. Hopefully the Jaguar isn't a bad thing.

96xjclassic
11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Here is a link. http://www.martinarchery.com/pdf/2007Specs.pdf Is your cam on the bottom a mpro or a dyna?

Hutch

The cam is on the bottom.

96xjclassic
11-08-2011, 02:33 PM
The cam is on the bottom.

gravedigger
11-08-2011, 02:34 PM
not a bad bow.its got after market string,apex sight,limbsavers,i dont know what stab that is because i dont use them

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-08-2011, 02:42 PM
The Cam is on the bottom and the idler is on the top. What does it say on the bottom cam. Dyna or Mpro?
Or just post a pic of it

96xjclassic
11-08-2011, 02:55 PM
The cam says M-pro.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-08-2011, 03:00 PM
That bow is a late 2007 Jaguar. You got a very nice bow to start with. Its is a nice shooting bow. My son shoots the same year Jaguar but with the dyna cam. My daughter shoots one but a 05

96xjclassic
11-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Good to know. I'm glad to hear it. Any tips or info you could offer would be great. I know the string is new. What about up keep, as far as inspection or regular? Since I just got it anything I need to check or know?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-08-2011, 03:50 PM
1. Take a cotton ball and go around the limbs and cam and idler wheel and check for limb splinters and burrs.
2. Check limbs for cracks use a magnifying glass.
3. Wax the string and keep check on it. (they don't last for ever change them every 2-3yrs.)
4. Check to make sure every thing is tight on the bow. (PERIODICALLY)
5. Flex arrows regularly to see if they are safe.

Anything else stay tuned some one will make mention. Stay on the forum and ask ?'s and you will learn a great deal.

96xjclassic
11-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks a lot, and will do. I look toward to learning.

peace
11-09-2011, 03:29 AM
Congrats on the WildCat aka Jaguar! A lot of guys here love those, enjoy your purchase and have fun. Also welcome to this board, great people and great info. Don't be a stranger, pull up a chair and set a spell, Ya'll come back now, hear!

Smarten Up and Martin Up

96xjclassic
11-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Thanks a lot. I can't wait to start using it. Or would it be her? Is it like a car? Do I call it, her?

gravedigger
11-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Thanks a lot. I can't wait to start using it. Or would it be her? Is it like a car? Do I call it, her?

call it what ever you want...i call my bow"dam thing why cant you hit that elk":p

96xjclassic
11-09-2011, 07:16 AM
call it what ever you want...i call my bow"dam thing why cant you hit that elk":p

Lol. I love that name. I think she is a she.

elkslayer4x5
11-10-2011, 06:29 AM
All my toys are she's and so is my truck, and they all have names. ;)

96xjclassic
11-10-2011, 07:36 AM
My jeeps name is midnight. My bow still needs a name. What did you name her?

justin
11-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Is this revival? My bow is named fireball.... lol.

96xjclassic
11-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Is this revival? My bow is named fireball.... lol.

Good name. Not very feminine though.

justin
11-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Yeah, my bow isnt a girl. Its a skullz camo alienx there isnt much feminine about it. Its pimp, fast and agressive! Its just as happy smoking a 3d as it is smoking deer, and doesnt mind blowing knocks off and piledriving the last aarow that went into the target. It surely is one mean bow!

96xjclassic
11-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah, my bow isnt a girl. Its a skullz camo alienx there isnt much feminine about it. Its pimp, fast and agressive! Its just as happy smoking a 3d as it is smoking deer, and doesnt mind blowing knocks off and piledriving the last aarow that went into the target. It surely is one mean bow!

Your bow sounds bad ass! Got a picture?

elkslayer4x5
11-11-2011, 05:23 AM
My jeeps name is midnight. My bow still needs a name. What did you name her?

In the same order as my signature, their names are;
Gail ( of course )
The Twin
and Ole Blue ( cause she is blue flame ) :D

96xjclassic
11-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Very nice! The one named the twin is a very fitting name! Lol.

tomrybicki
11-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey Digger,that's a Bowjax stabilizer. My wife has one. It's a good product,plus,they are very affordable. My wifes was $11.50 with free shipping. Sorry to ramble.

96xjclassic
11-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Got to shoot her today! After a few slight adjustments to the sight pins I was hitting bullseyes. Only at 20 yards, but its a start!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like fun!

darkember
11-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Had an interesting day today. Went into my local Fishing/gun/archery shop, in that order & started discussing my bow. Straight away the bloke said he could not test it on the store range as his target was not adequate enough. He was concerened the penetration would be too great & would damage his wall:):) I was ticked by that response. Incidently, it does not have a name as yet but if it did it would be called ""WellHard"";)

96xjclassic
11-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like fun!

It was fun. It made me realize how fast and accurate this bow is! Any tips for when I move up to 30 yards? What distance should I get comfortable shooting at for hunting?

coolsam402
11-12-2011, 06:06 PM
It was fun. It made me realize how fast and accurate this bow is! Any tips for when I move up to 30 yards? What distance should I get comfortable shooting at for hunting?

if your going to be hunting with it my pins have been at 10...20...30...40...50 but my 10 and 20 yard pins are the same unless im elivated (up in a tree on out of a window in my house to practice) but also when i am hunting i only feel comfy at shooting at 10..20...30 yards at the most i can say most people usually ar only comfy at 20 yards i only have my pins for 40 and 50 for doing practice and just playing around doing shoot outs with some of my buddies on the weekends but you never know the more you practice the farther you can shoot the other day i took a doe at 43 yards but even when i practice i say i wont shoot that far just know the farther it is from you the smaller the target and easyer mistakes and if you feel you can make the shot just dont take the shot its not worth wounding an animal you also got to remember its alot harder hunting than it is target shooting because of adrentalen is making you shake craze just think of it this way when hunting you take a shot at 20 yards feels like target shooting at 50 or 60 yards almost thats my opinion

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-13-2011, 02:55 AM
It was fun. It made me realize how fast and accurate this bow is! Any tips for when I move up to 30 yards? What distance should I get comfortable shooting at for hunting?Do a search on this site or on the web, for walk back tuning and you should be all set. I believe that you tube has a perfect video on it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-13-2011, 03:06 AM
Here is a link or two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rMYJjjpHXg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UggySBM6CWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLiJelNYKfw

Take a look and see

elkslayer4x5
11-13-2011, 04:43 AM

Get comfortable at all distances, meaning shoot a lot of arrows at all distances. The more you shoot, and become proficant at, the easier the 40 to 20 yds shots seem. I see no problem with a 60 yd shot at a feeding deer, I know that he won't hear my bow at that distance and with his head down in the browse, he'll never know whats about to hit him. Of course, your results may differ. :)

96xjclassic
11-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Uuuugh. I just wrote like a three page response to all of you guys and somehow I accidentally changed pages and hit back and it was gone.
Anyway, thank you all for the responses and positive encouragement. From what I got from you all the key is practice, practice,practice. I love shooting this bow so that's a good thing, right!
As far as the videos, thanks hutch. At the moment I'm having trouble watching them. I will definitely watch later.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Your are welcome! learn a little put it to practice. Learn a little more put it to practice.

gravedigger
11-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Uuuugh. I just wrote like a three page response to all of you guys and somehow I accidentally changed pages and hit back and it was gone.
Anyway, thank you all for the responses and positive encouragement. From what I got from you all the key is practice, practice,practice. I love shooting this bow so that's a good thing, right!
As far as the videos, thanks hutch. At the moment I'm having trouble watching them. I will definitely watch later.

practice is key along with good form.the more you shoot the better you get.shooting from differnt spots,changeing the places you shoot at is allwaysgood.i would kick a ball out into a open field and shoot at it no knowing the yardage to i was shooting.and also shooting like 5-10 feet awy from a target to help with form

96xjclassic
11-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks grave, I really like the ball idea. I will give it a try.

gravedigger
11-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks grave, I really like the ball idea. I will give it a try.

yep the ball thing is fun..i cant remember who told me about that but i think it was hutch,elkslayer,or elkslayer 4x5 that told me about it.when i firs cam on this forum i was a mess and had no idea what i was doing,now well i know my bow front to bak.

96xjclassic
11-13-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm about where you were when you started here.lol. Hopefully someday I will be able to shoot well.