PDA

View Full Version : Chasin tail

elkslayer4x5
11-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Blacktails, that is! 2nd season is about to open here, and here's a couple of bucks that survived the rifle season. Some of you will reconize the location as where some of my bear pics where taken. Last day of rifle season, my daughter-in-law tagged out with a nice fat mature doe on her handicap permit in this same unit. Two days ( extenderd youth season ) later my grandson missed a 350+ yds shot at a tall tined buck, but was not this guy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Nanners%20boys/4by4.jpg

Last night, we downloaded the last batch of pics off a new cam location and found this big 3 X 3. Both have eye guards, generally scarce on blacktails.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Nanners%20boys/Big3.jpg
This pic was taken about 400 yds from some of the earlier velvet pics. Could be the same buck, what do you think?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Shedbuck.jpg

elkslayer4x5
11-13-2011, 06:14 AM
What? Did I leave you all speachless? :D:D:D:cool:

ElkSlayer
11-13-2011, 06:21 AM
Ok guys, pick the jaws up off the floor place tonuge back in mouth an get to typing....We know ya all got something to say :cool: :p :p :p

gravedigger
11-13-2011, 09:52 AM
all right.i had a hard time picking my jaw up,it kind of sticks in spots and had to have my wofe help me get it off the ground.if you see mye out there dont shoot me.i will be the guy with the shovel.darn it i want to shoot it.im not going on my late season hunt.no one to hunt with.:mad:

ElkSlayer
11-13-2011, 06:47 PM
well if you buy a case we may be able to put you down for the posable 3rd shot at one of the forkies...lol come on down leave the shovel bring the bow we got doe's too...:cool:

elkslayer4x5
11-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Spent the rest of yesterday chasin tail out in the Melrose unit, hung another trail cam where we saw a nice buck during the rifle season. got nuthin but cold and wet, except a good cam location, we'll see in about two weeks how good it really is. Going out today to hang a couple of cams on an elk trail that we found a couple of weeks back, if the elk are still using the trail, will get tags tonight, ( me and the grandson ) and see if we can't aquire more freezer filler. :D So todays is just a bear hunt and trail check. Its tough to live in Oregon. :D

Spiker
11-16-2011, 05:54 AM
I so gotta move.

ElkSlayer
11-16-2011, 05:56 AM
I told you .. last year... we got it going on here man what can i say

gravedigger
11-16-2011, 06:19 AM
yes,yes spiker you so have to move to oregon.we have sooooo much elk and deer and bear and couger, and well lots of stuff to hunt. with a low amount of bow hunters.its all most like shooting fish in a barrel.lol

ElkSlayer
11-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Hey Digger dont tell folks about or barrel fish shoot....is it on the 5th weekend in FEB this year or what...lol

Spiker
11-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Oh - we are certainly still working in that direction.
Some things have come together recently that will help us keep up the momentum but - - -
it's still a year or two away. :(

gravedigger
11-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Hey Digger dont tell folks about or barrel fish shoot....is it on the 5th weekend in FEB this year or what...lol

that sounds about right...but just to bump it up a notch how about bow fishing rig,from a tree stand oh lets say 15 - 20 feet up.oh ya now thats fishing.lol

ElkSlayer
12-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Hey all , been out the last few days in the wood lot close to home.. and been so close every day did even get a shot with my recurve .. some may know it was a tad low or this would have been a differant post...lol
I just gota vent a bit this ole gray faced blacktail is driving me crazy... so earler I gear up today is the day I just know it....NOT :confused:

So i walk out, bang they they are 2 big ole does one has me peged..so make like a tree and she's calm 100 yards out or so ( for got RF..ugg)
So I drop on hands an knees, crawl ,Yes 50 yards still there. I was angling to some other trees so Im still 70 or so out One more Big tree for cover to go and Then Im in range.. They could have seen me Maybe, no way they heard me posable busted by the light brezze.... but they just disapeard..
there one secound then just gone.. area is Flat no way the can sneak away... must have dug in a goffer hole..lol be back after them again latter..because They have this boy friend that should be showin up SOON...

Plan to head out into our PP camp out in my blind all day.. soon as we get all our chores done...lol been a bit busy around here thats why i sneek of to the wood lot...lol she says I can:cool:

Stéphane
12-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Okay, I'm looking at your deer and you call a blacktailed deer. Here in BC, they're called blacktailed West of Hope and Mule Deer East of it. Really, the Mullies tend to be bigger and not so spooky. How do you see it down there?

The ears of a mule deer are significantly bigger than a white tail. Yours seems to have those big flappers, don't they?

elkslayer4x5
12-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Here in Oregon the dividing line is Interstate 5, any deer to the west side is concidered a pure blacktail, and on the east side they're hybrids, a blacktail and mule deer cross. As for the ears, Blacktails have a 7 inch ear, while the Mulies have a much larger ear, more like 9 inches, which as you know is how they got thier name. "Ears like a mule" :)

ElkSlayer
12-11-2011, 07:27 AM
This is a huge can of worms... as once the line gets to calif they still claim Blacktail but in fact its a high bread cross...

This is what i know for the record books we have to take a blacktail west of I 5 there range runs to the pacific crest trail but mixes with mule deer. so to count as a true BT It must come from the west side My side LOL

here in oregon it is black tail from the coast to the PCT then mule deer to the snake river on into Idaho also have pockets of white tails here an there..

Stéphane
12-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Who would have thought that it would be politically incorrect to call a mule deer "blacktail" or vise versa. Which one is the minority? And what are their rights? Politics, I tell you. And I thought that was an only a Canadian thing.

Thanks for the info.

SG

ElkSlayer
12-11-2011, 04:25 PM
That would have to be the Balcktail... since it only lives on the west coast from use to you ..
Mulies range from use to the mid west....some guys get real touchy about it..lol

elkslayer4x5
12-12-2011, 06:42 AM
According the genitics, a blacktail buck bred a whitetail doe and a Mule deer was born.