PDA

View Full Version : exctied but i heard bad

coolsam402
11-12-2011, 05:46 PM
ok so i am excited martin said there sending me my slide to replace the trg and the sts to replace the sos but when i look at stuff about the sts people are saying that the sts doesent fit in the notch in the bows riser and they have to make the notch bigger in the riser and like it doesent sit tight in the riser if you can get it in there because of the screws does any one know anything about this i have the martin exile how does it effect this

dzsmith
11-12-2011, 07:40 PM
thats interesting, because i have an exile and at one point was thinking of going to the sts instead. I have had no problems with my trg/sos so im not changing it, but im interested to see how this turns out. i take it martin knows you have an exile when you requested the sts right, if they were thinking they should have known whether or not they would fit. the 2011 exile is my first martin bow so off the top of my head I cannot tell you whether or not an sts will fit

coolsam402
11-12-2011, 07:48 PM
ya they know its a exile but i was thinking that if they send me the slide and the sts i will upt the sts were the trg is and put the slide at the bottom because the top notch it bigger than the botton then i would go to the shop and get a 3 doller rod but i hope it all works goot and i dont have to do that does any one else know anything about this tho

elkslayer4x5
11-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Some people have had some trouble getting the rod to fit because of the film dip inside of the rod hole, clean it out, should have no problem. If you do, someone here will have an idea or two to help you out.

MLN1963
11-13-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm fighting (what I consider) a loud noise on the shot of my bow. I think I have it figured out and it is the STS is not tight enough and thunks. The problem is the screws are bottomed out and I can't do anything about it. I tried adding some tape to my STS but then it gets too tight and is hard to get the STS in the slot. It will quiet it for a little bit and then it comes back. I will call Martin about it but not until after hunting season because I'm not going to send it back during the season as it is the only bow I have.

darkember
11-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Are the screws bottoming out because the threaded hole in the STS is too short?? If this is the case why not fit a spacer to take up the slack & also remember to apply locktight thread compound before securing.

archerx7
11-13-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm fighting (what I consider) a loud noise on the shot of my bow. I think I have it figured out and it is the STS is not tight enough and thunks. The problem is the screws are bottomed out and I can't do anything about it. I tried adding some tape to my STS but then it gets too tight and is hard to get the STS in the slot. It will quiet it for a little bit and then it comes back. I will call Martin about it but not until after hunting season because I'm not going to send it back during the season as it is the only bow I have.

Try changing out the 4way bumper for a BowJax MacDaddy. The 4 way is a relativley hard rubber compound that will create the thunk you are talking about, I've found the BowJax will usually quiet things down, next choice would be the LimbSaver string decelerator.

MLN1963
11-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Guys,

The screw heads are bottoming out and can't go deeper to grip the rod. The rod is loose and you can move it. The string slapping the rubber stopper moves the rod which in turn moves in the slot and results in noise. This noise didn't exist when I had the TRG installed.

coolsam402
11-13-2011, 08:42 AM
ut oh looks like some problems not getting exctied starting to frown

SJunior
11-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Seems like an easy fix, get something to put between the screw head and the rod or file down the screws then clean up the threads. Maybe shorter screws also.

MLN1963
11-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Seems like an easy fix, get something to put between the screw head and the rod or file down the screws then clean up the threads. Maybe shorter screws also.

Yep, seems easy, but I haven't had any success yet. Anything between the screw and rod gets spit out as you tighten the rod down. In fact the screws should be on the bottom of the slot instead of the top. Why you ask? As you tighten the screws it pushes the sts rod out the back towards the string, on the bottom they would bottom the STS rod against the riser, not push it out. These are tiny screws, there is no filing them down. There would be no way to hold them and that really isn't the problem.

This is a machining problem IMO. Also, as the riser gets tension on it, say going from 45# to 60# it flexes and opens up the slot. How do I know this? I took the bow apart and the STS rod fit tighter in the slot. I'm sure Martin plans for this but the tolerances must be off on my bow? Also, my string would move off center on my TRG (when I had it) when I would increase poundage as well so I know there is lateral flexing going on.

SJunior
11-14-2011, 03:32 PM
New question for you, when you changed the TRG did they send new screws for the rod and sts? Just replaced the TRG on my son's Leopard and noticed there were 2 different size screws, the smaller ones going to the sts. Could make a difference. But looking at my Silencer the screws are the same size, which should be the same as your Firecat. Got any pics?

SJunior
11-14-2011, 03:36 PM
BTW, the sts had plenty of room in the slot on the Leopard. Bought the Silencer with factory installed rod and sts but still looks like the sts goes in with no problems.

MLN1963
11-14-2011, 04:32 PM
New question for you, when you changed the TRG did they send new screws for the rod and sts? Just replaced the TRG on my son's Leopard and noticed there were 2 different size screws, the smaller ones going to the sts. Could make a difference. But looking at my Silencer the screws are the same size, which should be the same as your Firecat. Got any pics?

My bow came with screws in the STS holes even though there was no STS. I know I shouldn't assume that they would put the right screws in the holes but I assume they put the right screws in the holes.

This is my opinion. The countersunk holes are either not deep enough or the slot is flexing too much and allowing the rod too much clearance. I'm not about to pay a machinist the $60 minimum fee to find out if deeper countersunk holes will work. It could be the tolerance on slot is too great. I'm not about to go taking a drill to the riser to deepen them. Eventually (after bow season or I tag out) I will be in contact with Martin. I'm just not willing to give up my bow with 2 months left and the Rut about to start.

MLN1963
11-14-2011, 04:34 PM
BTW, the sts had plenty of room in the slot on the Leopard. Bought the Silencer with factory installed rod and sts but still looks like the sts goes in with no problems.

My STS goes in easy. It just won't stay put. If I try "shim" it up with tape on the rod then it gets tight to install but will loosen up after a few shots.

MLN1963
11-14-2011, 04:35 PM
BTW, thanks for taking the time to help me try sort this out.

elkslayer4x5
11-15-2011, 04:54 AM
My bow came with screws in the STS holes even though there was no STS. I know I shouldn't assume that they would put the right screws in the holes but I assume they put the right screws in the holes.

This is my opinion. The countersunk holes are either not deep enough or the slot is flexing too much and allowing the rod too much clearance. I'm not about to pay a machinist the $60 minimum fee to find out if deeper countersunk holes will work. It could be the tolerance on slot is too great. I'm not about to go taking a drill to the riser to deepen them. Eventually (after bow season or I tag out) I will be in contact with Martin. I'm just not willing to give up my bow with 2 months left and the Rut about to start.

From waht I'm reading, that is what needs to be done. Sounds like the set screws are'nt making contact with the rod, therefore deeper holes and longer screws.

MLN1963
11-15-2011, 06:34 AM
From what I'm reading, that is what needs to be done. Sounds like the set screws aren't making contact with the rod, therefore deeper holes and longer screws.

ES45

I'm not going to do it (use a drill and deepen the countersinks) because I don't want Martin to say that I voided my warranty by making a modification to the riser. If it snapped there, I don't know why it would, then that is all they would need to wash their hands of it. Also, the STS rod is aluminum and it has some depressions in the rod so my mind keeps coming back to the slot flexing, maybe while drawing or at the shot, and it causing it to lose bite.

Tosi
11-15-2011, 10:57 AM
I changed out the TRG/SOS sysytem on my FC400 and WOW! shoots great and it fit perfect. Your will need to clean up the shaft and hole. I did use some others scews that I purchased that fit and keep the shaft tight. Hope this helps

coolsam402
11-15-2011, 03:58 PM
well how long does it take to get they said that they sent them out on friday nights and said something about 3 days so would that mean i get them tomarrow...

coolsam402
11-15-2011, 05:08 PM
I changed out the TRG/SOS sysytem on my FC400 and WOW! shoots great and it fit perfect. Your will need to clean up the shaft and hole. I did use some others scews that I purchased that fit and keep the shaft tight. Hope this helps

what do you mean you have to clean up your shaft ;) and your hole :eek: like sand it down or what ??????/

and well how long does it take to get they said that they sent them out on friday nights and said something about 3 days so would that mean i get them tomarrow..

Tosi
11-16-2011, 04:07 AM
I have had a few shippments and they all took about five working days.

elkslayer4x5
11-16-2011, 04:45 AM
what do you mean you have to clean up your shaft ;) and your hole :eek: like sand it down or what ??????/

and well how long does it take to get they said that they sent them out on friday nights and said something about 3 days so would that mean i get them tomarrow..

We don't really know how long it will take to get to you as we don't know where you are. Martin is in Washington, how far is that from you?