PDA

View Full Version : What kind of arrows?

96xjclassic
11-13-2011, 04:02 PM
I own a 2007 Martin wildcat/jaguar. It has a 60# draw set on it. I want to use carbon arrows but what kind do you guys recommend? What weight? How much should I expect to spend? These arrows will be used for hunting. Any help would be great, thanks guys.

coolsam402
11-13-2011, 04:17 PM
I own a 2007 Martin wildcat/jaguar. It has a 60# draw set on it. I want to use carbon arrows but what kind do you guys recommend? What weight? How much should I expect to spend? These arrows will be used for hunting. Any help would be great, thanks guys.

I would strongly reccomend easton axis carbin n-fused arrows and you would want 400's and if you go to a pro shop not a cabelas or bass pro or dicks an actual pro shop they will have the good quality arrows and usually all arrows are around 60 for a half dozen and arount 120 to 150 for a dozen but there worth the money and make sure you get the tips for the arrows so you will gave the best shooting expereance

96xjclassic
11-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Speedykills
11-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I use gold tip 5575 pretty good arrows.

SJunior
11-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Can't go wrong with Beman's.

coolsam402
11-13-2011, 05:04 PM
id still say the ones i said are the best ive shot pritty much every arrow on the market

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-13-2011, 05:58 PM
I use gold tip 5575 pretty good arrows.Agreed!

Hutch:cool:

Double S
11-13-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm using harvest Time Archery arrows. HT-2 harvester arrows. 400's,.01 spine for my 60 DW. great shooting arrows without breaking the bank. roughly 80-90 bucks for a dozen with nocks and inserts included.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/FobsandHarvestTimeHT-2arrows3.jpg

Money Man
11-13-2011, 07:10 PM
If you are curious about prices, check huntersfriend.com they have many types of carbon arrows and their prices seem reasonable too. I ordered my sight from them and it was here pretty quick.

coolsam402
11-13-2011, 07:19 PM
easton axis carbon n-fused 400 3 in vanes best arrows

gravedigger
11-13-2011, 09:38 PM
im a gold tip pro hunter man my self,i get the 75-95.good arrow but spendy.

elkslayer4x5
11-14-2011, 04:20 AM
Lots of arrows companys out there with all sorts of prices from cheap to OMG! Buy what you can afford, and then tune your bow to shoot them. :cool:

Don B
11-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Check out Harvest Time Archery.
Awsome arrows and you can't beat the prices and quality.
Don. www.harvesttimearchery.com

96xjclassic
11-14-2011, 05:28 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. What is the general opinion of carbon express?

gravedigger
11-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. What is the general opinion of carbon express?

never shot them.2 of my friends d,well they do when dicks is having a half off on them arrows sale.but they like them.i dont see how a guy can go wrong with a arrow that is the right spine and straightness they want.i know my next arrows will be the cheapest ones i can find.

Tosi
11-14-2011, 05:51 AM
I would look at Victory arrows, the V3 350 are a graet arrow thats not over priced. Wt 8.8g per' and a spine of 350. Carbon express also has the new Munity thats weight a little more @ 9.2g per', spine is 323. Both @ or under $75 per dozen.

Skbengal
11-14-2011, 06:55 AM
I use Carbon Express maxima 350's.I couldn't be happier with them.With 100 gr tips my arrow weight is 374 gr.Still gives me decent speed and works well with my Bengal.Do a little careful research(I'm not a fan of weight-forward arrows), but generally the lighter the arrow and the closer the tolerances(straightness and spine)the more expensive they are.Straightness tends to be exagerated.Most people will likely never notice a difference in groups between shooting arrows with a .003" and a .0001" tolerance,or even .006" and .003".That's just 2 cents from me,for whatever it's worth.I'm sure there's a lot of the other guys on here(with more experience)that will give you advise.Good luck.

droppixel
11-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Currently shooting Gold Tip Velocity Hunters, picked them up for $63 a dozen on evil-bay. Considering shooting something different at the end of the season. Have really liked these arrows, but they are a touch on the light side and I think I would be a little happier with a slightly heavier arrow - 1-1.5 gpi more should be plenty I think.

Going to do a little poking around but some of the CE arrows are on my mind, was shooting Mutinys before these, might go back to those or a higher grade arrow and might look into some of the Easton arrows if I get away from Gold Tip.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-14-2011, 01:43 PM
The kind that kill animals! LOL!
Sorry I couldn't resist.

96xjclassic
11-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Well, in your opinion which ones kill animals the best? Lol!

droppixel
11-14-2011, 03:20 PM

The ones that find the boiler room.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-14-2011, 03:48 PM
The ones that find the boiler room.Yep those are the ones.

96xjclassic
11-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Lmao! I get jokes.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Looking like gold tips or victory arrows seem to be the most used arrows.

droppixel
11-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Really, a $10 arrow can do everything a $100 arrow can (that'd better be one sweet arrow for $100) if the shooter is accurate with both. If you place them in the right spot, they will get the job done, just like any broadhead argument out there. Are there certain perks to different arrows, of course.

The arrows I am shooting right now at $64 a dozen are awesome, I think I just want to shoot something a little heavier so I can turn my poundage up a little bit more and/or to help with noise reduction and penetration with more KE/Momentum than my lighter arrows. At the same time, I wouldn't have any problems continuing to shoot these arrows with what I have seen from them so far.

96xjclassic
11-15-2011, 01:44 PM
The arrows I am shooting right now at $64 a dozen are awesome

I was internet window shopping last night and $64 bucks for a dozen is a great price. What kind are they?

justin
11-15-2011, 03:25 PM
You can buy beman bowhunters for 54 bucks a dozen fleched! (Locally in iowa anyway) ive shot them for awhile and i like them, fly almost as good as my gt prohunters. Im hunting with beman speeds, at 342 grains i dont have penitration issues with fixed heads.

coolsam402
11-15-2011, 04:05 PM
for 50 dollers a doz is not a good deal i will garrrentie you that they will brake right away ive already tryed them just get the easton axis carbon n-fused and they will last you forever and they fly the best

Ehunter
11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
I shot Beman ICS Hunters for several years, and they are a good, DURABLE, affordable arrow. I've killed 3 bucks with the exact same arrow, so they do hold up well. I switched over to Victory NAP's last year, and I love them. Pretty pricey, but they out penetrate anything else I have ever used, and are very durable. Just find something in your price range that's the correct spine, and start shooting it. Straightness isn't much if any of a factor in a carbon hunting arrow. A .006 tolerance is fine. If they aren't fletched yet, you can actually cut a little off of both ends to get the right arrow length for your set-up, and it'll probably turn out to be a .003 straightness afterall. Most of the run-out on an arrow is in the very ends.

droppixel
11-15-2011, 04:25 PM
I was internet window shopping last night and $64 bucks for a dozen is a great price. What kind are they?

Gold Tip Velocity Hunters - fletched and free shipping.

ClydeWigg3
11-16-2011, 08:11 AM
I've been shooting Carbon Express arrows for a long time and never had a bit of trouble.

96xjclassic
11-16-2011, 10:13 AM
I've been shooting Carbon Express arrows for a long time and never had a bit of trouble.

That's great to hear. I know those are not the most expensive or probably people's favorite, but I gotta start somewhere. I haven't heard anything negative about them though.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-16-2011, 11:42 AM
That's great to hear. I know those are not the most expensive or probably people's favorite, but I gotta start somewhere. I haven't heard anything negative about them though.Gotta admit when I shot Carbon Express I had the most robin hoods.

gravedigger
11-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Gotta admit when I shot Carbon Express I had the most robin hoods.

well then stop shooting them things...next thing ya know you have shot yourself out of house and home.:p

coolsam402
11-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Gotta admit when I shot Carbon Express I had the most robin hoods.

me too other than when i dont shoot in groups with my easton axis st carbon n-fused arrows and i got out and get a cheap set of arrows i usually when i shoot in groups with them i do get alot of robin hoods i would say dont shoot groups get eather the carbon express or the easton axis st carbon n-fused arrows bothe amazing arrows

96xjclassic
11-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I think I've made up my mind. Carbon express arrows. Now, which ones? I'm taking my bow to a shop this we.ekend to have a few adjustments made as well as figure out my dw. While I'm there I will pick up a dozen. I know, big slender. Lol. Which ones do you, who have shot them prefer?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I think I've made up my mind. Carbon express arrows. Now, which ones? I'm taking my bow to a shop this we.ekend to have a few adjustments made as well as figure out my dw. While I'm there I will pick up a dozen. I know, big slender. Lol. Which ones do you, who have shot them prefer?Predators low price and hit the mark or terminators

HUTCH:cool:

Rottzilla
11-16-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm using harvest Time Archery arrows. HT-2 harvester arrows. 400's,.01 spine for my 60 DW. great shooting arrows without breaking the bank. roughly 80-90 bucks for a dozen with nocks and inserts included.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/FobsandHarvestTimeHT-2arrows3.jpg

I agree Harvest Time Archery is the best arrows you can buy. HT 2 Harvesters .600 straightness tolerance with a 300-500 spine. are $79.00 dz before shipping and there is a $15.00 fee to cut to your spec and glue in the inserts. you can't ask for better and the HT 1 Vengeance .600 straightness tolerance and 300-1000 spine are $99.00 dz before shipping (these are like the axis arrows Victory VAP's that sort)

http://www.harvesttimearchery.com/

The Right Arrow For The Harvest.

Love Those FOB's Much Better than Fletchings.

Will

Arrow Splitter
11-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I think I've made up my mind. Carbon express arrows. Now, which ones? I'm taking my bow to a shop this we.ekend to have a few adjustments made as well as figure out my dw. While I'm there I will pick up a dozen. I know, big slender. Lol. Which ones do you, who have shot them prefer?I have shot Carbon Express Terminators before, and with a .003 straightness tolerance, you can't go wrong.:cool: They will TERMINATE your target.:cool:

96xjclassic
11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
I have shot Carbon Express Terminators before, and with a .003 straightness tolerance, you can't go wrong.:cool: They will TERMINATE your target.:cool:

Lol. Where can I find those?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Here is a link for Carbon Express. Pick the arrow you want then click on find a dealer
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/

96xjclassic
11-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Here is a link for Carbon Express. Pick the arrow you want then click on find a dealer
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/

Thanks. When I tried that the other night there was no dealers near me. However I'm sure the place where I'm going this weekend to get my bow tuned with have some.

elkslayer4x5
11-18-2011, 05:14 AM
Thanks. When I tried that the other night there was no dealers near me. However I'm sure the place where I'm going this weekend to get my bow tuned with have some.

Lancaster has plenty of 'em. I like the predators @ $50 a doz, and 9.8 gpi in my size. :)

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/arrows/arrow-shafts-mto-arrows/hunting-shafts.html?manufacturer=1955

96xjclassic
11-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Double S
11-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Go to harvesttimearchery.com. Click on the contact link and Email Shooting staff.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/RyteraNemesis2011withnewAccessories1.jpg

droppixel
11-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Go to harvesttimearchery.com. Click on the contact link and Email Shooting staff.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/RyteraNemesis2011withnewAccessories1.jpg

Wondered about that, going about being a staff shooter. Have a friend that is a staff shooter for Gold Tip and he said he pretty just got referred ...

droppixel
11-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Lancaster has plenty of 'em. I like the predators @ $50 a doz, and 9.8 gpi in my size. :)

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/arrows/arrow-shafts-mto-arrows/hunting-shafts.html?manufacturer=1955

That is actually a pretty good deal for arrows I think. I shoot 400s right now and think I am a little on the week side with my setup - so the .336 might be just right. Gold tip only has .400 or .300 and I think the .300 rate out a little on the stiff side when I have done the calculations.

I shot the Mutiny before I got my Gold Tip - I thought they were so so, had some breaking issues with them - might consider giving CE another go at the end of this season. Going to need to get more arrows anyhow.

Double S
11-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Wondered about that, going about being a staff shooter. Have a friend that is a staff shooter for Gold Tip and he said he pretty just got referred ...

They are always looking for staffers. Go ahead and go to the homepage and take a look at the arrow selections. My arrows fly true and are tough. If you like what you see and they have the right arrow spine for your setup go to the contact page.

MLN1963
11-18-2011, 12:45 PM
They are always looking for staffers. Go ahead and go to the homepage and take a look at the arrow selections. My arrows fly true and are tough. If you like what you see and they have the right arrow spine for your setup go to the contact page.

That is what I did. Took my first deer with an HT-2!!!

96xjclassic
11-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks double s. That's very kind of you. Will they send me some arrows to try out?

Double S
11-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks double s. That's very kind of you. Will they send me some arrows to try out?

No. That's not how it works. Probably for the Professional top ranked Archers but that's just a guess on my part. There are incentives. :cool: She will email you info.

MLN1963
11-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Basically, they are giving you a good deal on arrows, they're not free. You are commiting to using only their arrows and positively representing their company. You are also to try get new dealers to handle the HTA line.

droppixel
11-18-2011, 04:12 PM

Awesome, I might have to do that. I'm not really in a position to buy arrows right now, but plan to as soon as the season is over I think. I like the Gold Tips I'm shooting right now, but think I'll be looking to have something with a little more weight behind it.

96xjclassic
11-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Hey thanks a lot.

tim300wsm
11-19-2011, 01:10 AM
I shoot the carbon express maxima kv. .001 shafts I bought 2 dozen and all were within. 1 grains in weight they are not the lightest but super strong I have been very happy with them

96xjclassic
11-19-2011, 06:44 AM
I shoot the carbon express maxima kv. .001 shafts I bought 2 dozen and all were within. 1 grains in weight they are not the lightest but super strong I have been very happy with them

Thanks good to know Tim, I just picked up a half dozen of the carbon express predators last night. I had my bow adjusted slightly so after I sight my pins back in I will give them a try! I'm pretty excited!

96xjclassic
11-19-2011, 06:46 AM

Got some predators. Can't wait to play with them!

coolsam402
11-19-2011, 09:59 AM
heres the full truth answer if you buy cheap arrows they will got you cheap results and will brake quicker

MLN1963
11-19-2011, 10:37 AM
heres the full truth answer if you buy cheap arrows they will got you cheap results and will brake quickerIt's all about confidence in your equipment. It that is what makes you confident then go for it. I however don't buy into the marketing hype for what I do and my skill level.

Rottzilla
11-19-2011, 11:08 AM
No. That's not how it works. Probably for the Professional top ranked Archers but that's just a guess on my part. There are incentives. :cool: She will email you info.

Double S

At the moment Amber (she is in charge of the shooting staff) is in Georgia on a Hog Hunting trip. But she is to be back by Monday and then out of the office from Thursday till the 30th.

Believe me you will not be disappointed. And just to let you know these are not cheap arrows that break easy. They are top of the line grade A 100% truly the Best arrows you will ever buy.

Will

96xjclassic
11-19-2011, 12:26 PM
I will wait until after thanksgiving then to contact her. I just picked up some Beman bow hunter 400 from my local archery shop at the recommendation of the tech. He's said they are good and economical. For the time being I will Target shoot with these. Then move up to what you guys are playing with.
I'm not very good, but I considered this sighted in at 10 yards. Good?

96xjclassic
11-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Be gentle. I'm new.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Looks like you need to keep your eyes open! Lol

Nice shooting for a rookie! good shooting!

96xjclassic
11-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks. I thought it was pretty good. Just need some encouragement. That's all. Tomorrow will be 20 yards.

parttimr
11-19-2011, 01:39 PM
You keep grouping them like that and you'll be buying more sooner than you think due to robinhoods and shaving fletchings whenn you switch to broadheads. Just take your time and ask questions. These guys will help all they can and won't make you feel like an idiot like other sites. Good luck.

96xjclassic
11-19-2011, 01:47 PM
You keep grouping them like that and you'll be buying more sooner than you think due to robinhoods and shaving fletchings whenn you switch to broadheads. Just take your time and ask questions. These guys will help all they can and won't make you feel like an idiot like other sites. Good luck.

Thanks, I was shooting 2 at a time while I was sighting in my pins. Once I felt pretty good about my sights I went a little nuts. Point taken.

justin
11-19-2011, 02:18 PM
yep beaman bowhunter 400s are good aarows. im thinking of shooting mine for winter league this year, if i dont end up with some more gt prohunter shafts. my beamans never let me down though!! and for your groups... not bad!! when you get better, you will start wrecking aarows at an alarming rate. so when you wreck your first, its time to start shooting spots, insted of groups!!

Double S
11-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Your doing well. Take your time. I like to take a shot. Put the bow down rest my bow arm for about 30 seconds or more. Take another shot and rest. It helped me with building strength and holding longer. I used to shoot fast..All it did was wear my arms out ( Jello arms) and give me crappy groups. I've learned to slow down. Make sure I pay attention to all the aspects of aiming, breathing, bow grip, follow through and patience.

96xjclassic
11-19-2011, 02:37 PM
yep beaman bowhunter 400s are good aarows. im thinking of shooting mine for winter league this year, if i dont end up with some more gt prohunter shafts. my beamans never let me down though!! and for your groups... not bad!! when you get better, you will start wrecking aarows at an alarming rate. so when you wreck your first, its time to start shooting spots, insted of groups!!

That's a homemade Target I made. I guess I get why they make targets with multiple spots now. Thanks. Good to know about the Bowhunter 400's. Thanks everyone.

elkslayer4x5
11-20-2011, 04:59 AM
You're welcome. We all like to help and sometimes a guy will hear what we're saying, and a problem gets solved. Thats why we all come here. But, then there is the otherside of the coin, when everyone tells someone the same thing and he can't or won't hear you. Buy the inexpencive arrows ( .006 straightness ) because as you improve, you're gonna start wrecking 'em. Truth be told, most of us can't outshoot a .003 arrow. :)

ElkSlayer
11-20-2011, 06:10 AM

the one that flys and hit its mark....lol sorry had to do it

for 50 dollers a doz is not a good deal i will garrrentie you that they will brake right away ive already tryed them just get the easton axis carbon n-fused and they will last you forever and they fly the best

yea Why do they? and what makes you think 50 is a bad deal... do you work for a arrow mfg. How many differt arrows have you shot in your life time.. Im 46 been shootin for 40 years now and have shot less then a dozzen differant mfg... tried some cheep vapors( made by gold tip) liked um so much i picked up a 2nd dozzen for my recurve and was pissed when they sold out now they call it something differant...

Your doing well. Take your time. I like to take a shot. Put the bow down rest my bow arm for about 30 seconds or more. Take another shot and rest. It helped me with building strength and holding longer. I used to shoot fast..All it did was wear my arms out ( Jello arms) and give me crappy groups. I've learned to slow down. Make sure I pay attention to all the aspects of aiming, breathing, bow grip, follow through and patience.

Best advice yet...do not rush your self it is not a race and your only competition is your self keep it up once you get the first causality stop aiming at the same spot... call your shot as in like a clock face 3 or 9 12 or 6 etc...good luck and FYI pick up any dozzen that fits your pocket book

96xjclassic
11-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks for all the great advice guys!