PDA

View Full Version : 1st bow kill

Money Man
11-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Got my first bow kill this afternoon. After not seeing any deer all season, I saw 2 today. Went out around 12:30, had a young doe walk 5 yards past me (I sit on the ground). She came in at a bad angle and I had no cover to draw behind, but my heart was racing just to have the deer that close. She walked by without spooking. About 2:30 I decide to try strapping on a swivel seat I have that straps to a tree. I figured the way the wind was blowing, it would help if anything came from my right. The seat keeps my feet on the ground, but allows me to swivel and I can see down over the hill a little better to. I decided at 3:00 I would head out and take a slow walk to the car because I had a class to take tonight. At 2:55 this 7 pointer walks up from my right. I swivel around and it looks like he is going to go up the hill out of range to the right. Then he turns and walks towards me. When he goes behind a tree I draw, and now he is moving toward my #1 shooting lane. He stops and I need about 10 more steps to get into the lane. I am in a bad spot now because when I swiveled around to the right, I had to move my elbow to the other side of the tree. Now I am full draw and have to move around the tree again. I get it done and he is just standing there. I think he might have smelled that doe as he was standing right where she came up the hill. Now my fingers are going numb and my arms are ready to break. I don't want to let down without him being behind cover, so I line up my shot, which was not the perfect broadside shot, but I had a nice look at the sweet spot behind the shoulder. I estimate him at 30 yards, put my 30 yard pin on him and let the arrow go. It looks great up until the last couple yards. I don't know if he saw it and flinched or if I hit a twig (found a bunch of them after the shot, but couldn't see them before the shot). He goes down in a heap and rolls onto his back. I see his legs thrashing, and he still has not moved the spot from where he was standing. I am super excited now and I see him attempt to run. He is dragging his hind legs and bleeding real good from behind the shoulder. At the time I am not sure what's up, but I tracked him and found I spine shot him. Just a little deflection was all it took. Thankfully I got him. I may actually give up hunting with a gun after this. That was a thrill. Sorry the photo is terrible as I took it with my cell phone and then had to send it to my brother in law so he could e-mail it to me so I could post it here. I have a couple others with the bow, but I was out by myself and had no one to take the photo for me. I made it to my class but just barely.4967

Double S
11-17-2011, 06:28 PM
A big congrats MM on your first deer!. I remember my first deer. Every second of it. I can play it back in my head frame by frame. Cheers!.

Money Man
11-17-2011, 07:11 PM
I agree. My first deer with a gun was 18 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

MLN1963
11-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Congrats! :cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-18-2011, 02:48 AM
Well Dave, you hung in there and got that bow all redone. Boy did it pay off nice real nice!!!http://d2bbx2n1xhw9pj.cloudfront.net/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Hutch:cool:

Speedykills
11-18-2011, 03:04 AM
Congrats,nice first buck.

bfisher
11-18-2011, 03:20 AM
MM, that's a good one. Nice start with your bowhunting career.

I remember my first one vividly, a nice fat doe. That was 36 years ago. Now where did lay my sunglasses 10 minutes ago? I know they have to be here somewhere!!!!!!!!!!LOL.

Don B
11-18-2011, 03:45 AM
Jumps up and slaps a high 5 to MM.
Congrats on a very fine first deer, and a buck to boot.
It's all down hill now.
Don.

ElkSlayer
11-18-2011, 05:12 AM
hey way to get it done MM...nice 3x you got your self oh sorry 7pt lol
all the time and practice pays off and you got straps now boy good job nice buck

elkslayer4x5
11-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Got my first bow kill this afternoon. After not seeing any deer all season, I saw 2 today. Went out around 12:30, had a young doe walk 5 yards past me (I sit on the ground). She came in at a bad angle and I had no cover to draw behind, but my heart was racing just to have the deer that close. She walked by without spooking. About 2:30 I decide to try strapping on a swivel seat I have that straps to a tree. I figured the way the wind was blowing, it would help if anything came from my right. The seat keeps my feet on the ground, but allows me to swivel and I can see down over the hill a little better to. I decided at 3:00 I would head out and take a slow walk to the car because I had a class to take tonight. At 2:55 this 7 pointer walks up from my right. I swivel around and it looks like he is going to go up the hill out of range to the right. Then he turns and walks towards me. When he goes behind a tree I draw, and now he is moving toward my #1 shooting lane. He stops and I need about 10 more steps to get into the lane. I am in a bad spot now because when I swiveled around to the right, I had to move my elbow to the other side of the tree. Now I am full draw and have to move around the tree again. I get it done and he is just standing there. I think he might have smelled that doe as he was standing right where she came up the hill. Now my fingers are going numb and my arms are ready to break. I don't want to let down without him being behind cover, so I line up my shot, which was not the perfect broadside shot, but I had a nice look at the sweet spot behind the shoulder. I estimate him at 30 yards, put my 30 yard pin on him and let the arrow go. It looks great up until the last couple yards. I don't know if he saw it and flinched or if I hit a twig (found a bunch of them after the shot, but couldn't see them before the shot). He goes down in a heap and rolls onto his back. I see his legs thrashing, and he still has not moved the spot from where he was standing. I am super excited now and I see him attempt to run. He is dragging his hind legs and bleeding real good from behind the shoulder. At the time I am not sure what's up, but I tracked him and found I spine shot him. Just a little deflection was all it took. Thankfully I got him. I may actually give up hunting with a gun after this. That was a thrill. Sorry the photo is terrible as I took it with my cell phone and then had to send it to my brother in law so he could e-mail it to me so I could post it here. I have a couple others with the bow, but I was out by myself and had no one to take the photo for me. I made it to my class but just barely.4967

Oh oh, you're hooked now! Congratulations. Now about that class that you made it to, where you able to concentrate on it, or where you re-living your deer hunt? :D

Skbengal
11-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Congrats on the buck!Hard to beat that rush isn't it?

Ford
11-18-2011, 07:46 AM
congrats on the buck. and good story, some days you get away with moving a ton and other days you cant flinch and they are off and gone. Glad it ended as well as it did, way to go.

MLN1963
11-18-2011, 09:34 AM
MM

Tell me more about this swivel seat. It has my attention.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
MM

Tell me more about this swivel seat. It has my attention.Here is one MLN there are many on the market but this seat leaves you free to move and swivel

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ameristep-swivel-tripod-seat.aspx?a=210593

MLN1963
11-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Here is one MLN there are many on the market but this seat leaves you free to move and swivel

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ameristep-swivel-tripod-seat.aspx?a=210593

Thanks hutch. I was curious about his since he straps it too a tree.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Gottcha MLN, Here is the one that straps to a tree. http://www.biggametreestands.com/products/the-ultimate-swivel.html
I should get one for my back yard there is a bruiser out there. Especially since I can't walk munch my knee is toast.

Hutch :cool:

96xjclassic
11-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Congrats on the buck! I'm so excited to get mine.
Hutch thanks for the link.

Money Man
11-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Gottcha MLN, Here is the one that straps to a tree. http://www.biggametreestands.com/products/the-ultimate-swivel.html
I should get one for my back yard there is a bruiser out there. Especially since I can't walk munch my knee is toast.

Hutch :cool:

Hutch,
This one looks almost identical to the one I have. I bought mine about 15 years ago so I don't remember where I got it or how much I paid. It works ok if you use smaller trees, I need to put a longer strap on it and I'll be all set for some of the larger trees that I like to sit against

Money Man
11-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh oh, you're hooked now! Congratulations. Now about that class that you made it to, where you able to concentrate on it, or where you re-living your deer hunt? :D

It was a bus rescue class for the fie dept, so we were cutting a bus apart, so I had to pay attention to class, but during the breaks, it was mostly about the hunt.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Hutch,
This one looks almost identical to the one I have. I bought mine about 15 years ago so I don't remember where I got it or how much I paid. It works ok if you use smaller trees, I need to put a longer strap on it and I'll be all set for some of the larger trees that I like to sit againstSo MM do you like your swivel seat I might have to look into those for my backyard.

Money Man
11-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Hutch,
It's OK. I spent all day on it today from 6:30 am to 4 pm. It is not the most comfortable, but I like that I can fold it and lash it to my pack. I have even just used the strap and wore it like a belt. So it is really portable which I like. I am not a fan of climbing into trees. Some types of trees work better than others due to the bark type. Overall it's pretty good. Nice to get up off the ground a little. Not so fun when you fall asleep and fall off.

MLN1963
11-19-2011, 06:34 PM
MM

how small a tree can you use it on? A lot of the trees I see where I am hunting are only about 3"-4" across (not around), would that be big enough?

Since small trees aren't going to provide cover do the deer get skittish when they see you? I'll look like a very fat over sized squirrel sitting on the tree and wonder how that would go over? Hutch, be quiet! :cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-20-2011, 01:50 AM
http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/images/smilies/tape2.gif

ElkSlayer
11-20-2011, 06:25 AM
dang thats the best post i have read from hutch yet.....lol hahhhaha:cool:

MLN1963
11-20-2011, 09:35 AM
dang thats the best post i have read from hutch yet.....lol hahhhaha:cool:

X10 LOL :p

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-20-2011, 09:54 AM
MM I'll look like a very fat over sized squirrel sitting on the tree and wonder how that would go over? :rolleyes:Be nice MLN ! ;)

MLN1963
11-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Let'er rip potato chip. I can handle it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Well MLN, I am concerned about you!!!! If you picture yourself like this" I'll look like a very fat over sized squirrel sitting on the tree" Then counseling will be needed.:p

Ehunter
11-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Congrats MM. No better memory that that first buck with a bow. Keep up the good work!

Money Man
11-20-2011, 04:50 PM
MM

how small a tree can you use it on? A lot of the trees I see where I am hunting are only about 3"-4" across (not around), would that be big enough?

Since small trees aren't going to provide cover do the deer get skittish when they see you? I'll look like a very fat over sized squirrel sitting on the tree and wonder how that would go over? Hutch, be quiet! :cool:

I don't know how well it would work on a tree that small. The seat has a post that has the strap attached to it, and that post is placed against the tree and the strap is fastened around the tree. The seat folds down and has 2 little cleats that dig into the tree. I think the cleats might be 3 or 4 inches apart, so I don't know if you would get a good enough bite on the tree to stay in place. Then there is the fat squirrel issue. Actually I don't know if the deer notice me more than I think they notice things that look out of place. I feel like I am in their back yard, and I think I would notice if somebody placed a 200 pound camo wearing over sized squirrel in my back yard. It is important to control your movement because the seat places you at eye level with the deer. I shot a coyote at 30 yards yesterday and he never knew I was there.

MLN1963
11-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Well MLN, I am concerned about you!!!! If you picture yourself like this" I'll look like a very fat over sized squirrel sitting on the tree" Then counseling will be needed.

What makes you think I'm not already going? :p

MLN1963
11-20-2011, 06:34 PM
I feel like I am in their back yard, and I think I would notice if somebody placed a 200 pound camo wearing over sized squirrel in my back yard. It is important to control your movement because the seat places you at eye level with the deer.

I have been gun hunting the last two days but had some unique experiences. Sat. morning I was at the edge of a wheat field, it was a point (90*) and I was seated on the ground leaning at the tip under two small barren trees wearing my blase orange vest and hat. Two does walked up on me at first light, by time I made sure they weren't spikes or buttons they were too close to raise my gun without being busted. One spotted me and came closer, 10 feet close, and was checking me out doing the head bob and all that. I never moved and I had my eyes closed to where I was only seeing thru my eyelashes. She knew I wasn't there last time but she didn't get excited, she casually walked off with no sign of being scared or threatened.

Yesterday evening I was seated on the ground leaning against a tree at the edge in a different location, again in the open because that is the only way I could have chance of seeing to the left and right. If I moved back into the trees I would have such a narrow shooting lane it would be luck to have a deer walk into it. Long story short, a 6-point walks out from across the field, heads my way and lays down 59 yards from me. I pulled my camo head net thingy over my eyes so I could watch him. I knew I wasn't going to shoot him so I had some fun. I bleated and such and he would look my way and then go back to his siesta. We played this game for a while. I had a dry throat and started coughing and he looked my way and then when about his nap. I even took my phone out slowly and took pictures of him. All in all he was there a good 20 minutes and the thing that made him get up was a car driving by over 200 yards away. He got up and grazed his way towards me and then started walking the edge of the field. I was getting excited now because I thought he would have to practically step over me if he kept coming. He ended up taking a deer trail about 25 yards from me and cut thru the tree line.

Three deer sightings and three Mark sightings for sure. This is out in the country so I know they aren't used to people. I'm really surprised that they stayed so calm and weren't bothered by me. So maybe the fat squirrel is less worrisome than I originally thought (as long as I stay still)? Tonight I sat in a box blind and seen nothing. Go figure?