PDA

View Full Version : My Rifle Grouping (Sorry, Bullets Not Broadheads)

MLN1963
11-18-2011, 01:29 PM
My .270 T/C Venture really surprised me today, this group is from 218 yards. I'm shooting cheapo Federal ammo WM270B (because it is always available at WM) and this stuff grouped really well. I would have loved to stay and try somemore but the wind really started whipping. I had about 7" of wind drift as it was and it made it hard to keep the rifle steady on the target. I don't think I could ask for more out of any inexpensive gun, cheap scope and cheap ammo. I'm pleased with sub MOA like this!

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4972&d=1321643891

I know this isn't archery related but deer gun starts tomorrow so I took out the guns and checked the sights. Good thing too because my guns were in their (soft) cases stacked against the wall and the next thing I know I hear them hitting the ground. I suspect a certain nuisance cat I have rubbed against the cases and they fell over. I had to tweak both scopes some so I am really glad I went out and checked them. Ignore the holes closest to the bull, that was my .243 I had shot earlier.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Very nice MLN I too use federal ammo in my 30-30. I found at 300 yards we were grouping like you and it still shocks me on how much money I wasted on high price ammo. Still that looks like a dead deer group MLN.

Hutch:cool:

MLN1963
11-18-2011, 06:22 PM
1" groups at thee hundred yards with a lever action 30-30? You better never sell that gun, it is one in a billion!!!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-19-2011, 04:32 AM
1" groups at thee hundred yards with a lever action 30-30? You better never sell that gun, it is one in a billion!!!!Sounds like a lot of disbelief there?

elkslayer4x5
11-19-2011, 06:32 AM
Sounds like a lot of disbelief there? Do I have to prove that like the super shooter.

Well, yeah! A .30-30? Of course you do, tell me, how much 'holdover' did you use? ;)

ElkSlayer
11-19-2011, 06:44 AM
hutch you using the new lever action pointed ammo.... how ever you spell that stuff

Mln nice shooting there I got me an ole winchester 670 in 30-06 that will cut holes with winchester cheep ammo now it eating fed prem. at 40 bucks a box ..good thing thats what i end up with ....40 bucks lol

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-19-2011, 07:01 AM
I know it sounds unreasonable. But we sighted in at my friends house. In his field and he had a pile of soil with a target in front of it. He used a range finder on it and it was 300yards give or take a few feet. In shooting my marlin 30-30 with scope. I was hitting to the left about 3 to 4 inches lower than how MLN's is hitting. Ron my friend then shot it him being right handed and I am left handed, he shot 2 shots in the same level but a little to the right of where I shot. So don't know what to tell you, but that is the long and short of it. We didn't raise the level of the scope for the fact we knew the gun was being stretched as it was. But the point was with federal 170grn bullets it hit in a group low to the left in a inch to two inch triangle. Not saying it is a long range rifle its not. Just saying that is what happen.

ElkSlayer
11-19-2011, 07:05 AM
not doubting you just wonder if you used the pointed lever action stuff thou i dont think its cheep....I have a dirty 30 too so ..... you know I want play too but it is just open sighted and have busted milk jugs at 150 with it easy...not a long range gun but it will rain down from high above.....lol

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-19-2011, 07:40 AM
not doubting you just wonder if you used the pointed lever action stuff thou i dont think its cheep....I have a dirty 30 too so ..... you know I want play too but it is just open sighted and have busted milk jugs at 150 with it easy...not a long range gun but it will rain down from high above.....lolNo I haven't spent the big dollars on the special pointed 30-30 ammo. I have tried higher price ammo in the 30 30 and find its not much diff.

gravedigger
11-19-2011, 08:56 AM
love the 30-30.allways have allways will......one day i will have one.oh yae one dayhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent043.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

MLN1963
11-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Not doubting your capability. Just saying you have a very special 30-30 to be doing that. If you want to sell it I want to buy it.

My picture was rotated so you could read the numbers on the caliper. I was hitting high (my zero is 225 yards) and about 6"-8" left of where I was aiming because of the stiff cross winds. Originally I couldn't figure out why I was missing the target.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-20-2011, 04:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa5SnzmxvFE

Ehunter
11-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Nice shooting MLN. I recently traded for a .257 Weatherby that the owner said would "only hit 2 inch groups at 100 yards." Apparently, he wasn't a very good shot. lol I'm getting 5/8th inch groups at 100, and right at 1 inch at 200. Glad I traded for this rifle. lol

MLN1963
11-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Sorry Hutch that video really doesn't mean much. Those are A-Max target bullets and you wouldn't use in the tube of your Marlin. The iconic 30-30 can shoot that far but it doesn't mean the bullets will have the energy needed for hunting applications. They also aren't showing group size. I watched a guy shoot a 9mm with no sights and hit a human sized target at 100 yards for a full magazine (Fists of Fury training video).

Lever actions have 2 piece stocks and are not typically what someone building a rifle for accuracy is looking for. As I'm sure you know MOA (http://www.bmotsoft.com/moa.html) is real close to 1 inch at 100 yards. A gun holding MOA is generally accepted as an very accurate weapon, a gun holding sub-MOA is highly touted. MOA at 300 yards is about 3". For your gun to shoot 1" groups at 300 yards with factory ammo is truly phenomenal as that means its capable of shooting through the same hole at 100 yards. Most guns wish they could do that.

Now before you think I'm calling you out, I'm not, I believe you. I will re-emphasize, you have a very special Marlin there. I would love to take it off your hands if you ever wish to sell it.