PDA

View Full Version : draw length on hunter recurve?

martin-hunter57
09-30-2007, 08:00 PM
im tall 6 feet 4 inches. My draw length is 31 inches and i was wondering what the max draw length on a martin hunter recurve? I currently own a martin jaguar and hunt with it regularly but am interested in traditional archery.

satan15
11-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Hi there,
Your post caught my attention because you own the Jaguar Recurve. I am a beginner in the sport of archery and would like to get your feedback on the bow.

Also, please tell me your set uo for the bow. What rest and sights are you using and what arrows too.

I am planing to purchase the Jaguar but it seems there is not sight which is particularly suitable for recurves on the martin catalog.

I'll really appreciate any help in this regard.

dbd870
11-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Recurves aren't like compounds, there is no draw length setting. You draw to your anchor point. The rated weight is measured at 28" so you will end up pulling a little more than rated weight.

alex
11-11-2008, 08:58 AM
The draw lenght of the recurve is till you break it or it breaks you :D .And if you are as strong as tall you must be carefull about the first possibility ;) .

Saberuser
11-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Your draw will be a few inches shorter then with a compound. juat the simple facts of recurves. Have fun with a new adventure.

satan15
11-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanx for the help guys

Just need a bit more info. Could anyone suggest a site for the Jaguar, or is it intended to be shot bare bow?

Montalaar
11-12-2008, 03:45 AM
@original poster

The draw length for a recurve or longbow depends on its length. A 66" recurve will not support draw lengths longer then 26". For very long draw lenghts you should consider a 72" recurve or longbow. That is the reason why W&W, Hoyt and all the other manufacturers sell their risers in different lengths so that everybody can get the perfect fit.

alex
11-12-2008, 04:27 AM
satan, [ :) ] there is a book,which is published annualy,called "Archer's Bible".In it you'll find almost everything you want to know about archery-bows,accesories,etc.In this book you can see and compare a lot of sights for a recurve bow.Their prices vary,but i think they are more expensive then the sights for the compounds.I can't give you more information,because i'm not familiar with the sights.I have for now only a cheap taiwanian bow with a simple pin sight,wich i've replaced with a red-dot sight with hand-made mount-it works great,i shoot twice more accurately and i don't think i'll come back to the pins and peeps.

Montalaar
11-12-2008, 06:33 AM
The prices for recurve sights are the same as the compound sights. You can get some for around 20 and you can also pay 300 (Euro, not Dollar) for a recurve sight. Depends on what you expect and want to do.

satan15
11-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Hmmmm...

Theirs a lot of information for me there....But i still need to know if the riser on that jaguar is drilled n tapped to accept a site or not......

alex
11-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, as far as i can see on the picture of the Jaguar Take-Down in this site there is a hole for a stabilizer,so there must be ones and for a sight :rolleyes:On the bows from this type i have seen sights and i don't think that the archers drill holes for them themselves.(Please,excuse my english, but i'm starting to get confused by all these archery terms :o )

Russ
01-12-2009, 05:52 PM
@original poster

The draw length for a recurve or longbow depends on its length. A 66" recurve will not support draw lengths longer then 26". For very long draw lenghts you should consider a 72" recurve or longbow. That is the reason why W&W, Hoyt and all the other manufacturers sell their risers in different lengths so that everybody can get the perfect fit.
New guy here. I'm a bit confused by the, ". . .66" recurve will not support draw lengths longer then 26". The Hunter is only 62" and in the website description it reads:
Built for speed, the Hunter easily lives up to its name. Perfect for the archer with a longer than average draw length, the 62” Hunter will perform well for draw lengths up to 30”. I was shooting my Hunter today pulling 29" and there was more in the bow. Unless I'm missing something, I think the answer to the original question is at least 30".