PDA

View Full Version : DIY Camera Mount

droppixel
11-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Looking to put one together with my dad - he comes up with all sorts of random ways to make things work and I have seen some threads over at AT about it. Just wondering what you guys think of these options in terms of holding my phone (HD video capable) Incredible2?

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/cellphoneseller2488/WNCEHJIA02.jpg

http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/43000509/images/mp3-car-hold.jpg

http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/62001008/images/chtchod02002_b.jpg
http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/62001008/images/chtchod02002_c.jpg

The last 2 are the same one, front back - I have a feeling that might be the best option but didn't know if anyone has had any first hand experience putting one of these together yet. We already have a piece and a plan for the bracket that will mount up at the stabilizer. This is just the missing piece.

elkslayer4x5
11-23-2011, 05:44 AM
And here I thought I was gonna see a trail cam mount. So, going to mount your phone to your bow? Make sure that you turn the ring tone off. Looks a lot like the dash mount for my Explorist 500LE gps. Hope it works out, could be THE next big thing. :)

droppixel
11-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Yes sir, phone will be going on the bow. There are actually quite a few threads over on AT about guys that have already done it and one guy that is actually marketing a product for the iphone 4 - he hasn't figured out how to tone down the vibration though at the shot, that is something I'll be looking to snug up as much as possible.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1527484&page=1

ElkSlayer
11-23-2011, 07:03 AM
cool idea would love to film my shots ...but Ore says no electronic stuff on bow or arrow

droppixel
11-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Thats pretty lame. I'm doing this as a short term until or unless I can get a WildGame Innovations Action Cam.

ElkSlayer
11-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Thats pretty lame. I'm doing this as a short term until or unless I can get a WildGame Innovations Action Cam.

LOL yea not even lighted nocks... but guess what wal-mart was selling this summer...yea sold out too.

droppixel
11-23-2011, 09:05 AM
not even lighted nocks

Extra lame! Do they have a rule about engaging wild game too? Like you must announce your presence before shooting?

ElkSlayer
11-23-2011, 09:30 AM
LMAO..... Nope most guys just do that on their own. We have elk that drive trucks...hear um every year drive up slam doors then rip of a bugle...lmao

gravedigger
11-23-2011, 09:41 AM
LMAO..... Nope most guys just do that on their own. We have elk that drive trucks...hear um every year drive up slam doors then rip of a bugle...lmao

for the past 2 or 3 yearss i have called in the same group of huntiners from there camp at about 11pm.i can hear them slam there doors,hual butt to my camp and get of of there rigs to only see me and my buddy bugle at them.then they get back in there rig(mad as mad can be )and hual butt back to camp...this happens every year with the same group of people.its soooooooooo funny

droppixel
12-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Clip should be delivered soon - as soon as that gets in, I'll have it rigged up and post pictures and video of how it all turned out.

HawgEnvy
12-05-2011, 09:58 AM
cool idea would love to film my shots ...but Ore says no electronic stuff on bow or arrow

that's BS...sorry...BE! i MIGHT be able to understand "no electronics that aid in the taking of game". but to film a hunt...total BE!

Double S
12-05-2011, 11:15 AM
that's BS...sorry...BE! i MIGHT be able to understand "no electronics that aid in the taking of game". but to film a hunt...total BE!

It's the same in Washington State. No electronic devices are allowed on a bow. I learned first hand :D I asked my local game warden in front of the hunters Ed class and showed him my bow with my little Tachyon Camera connected to it. I told him that it's just for filming and there's no lasers shooting out from it. I had asked him in front of the students and other instructors...for a purpose ( Witnesses). We only have 1 game warden in my county. He gave me Verbal permission.
Fast Forward to Opening day of Archery September. I killed my Muley on Video at 50 yards. Later that night I Edited it and posted it on Youtube and added it to two hunting forums. The nexst day, I got bombarded by some hunters on another forum for filming it. Soon after a member identifies himself as a Fish and Game Officer and asked me to call him. So i did. It was a Sgt. from the west side. I told him what happened and that I had Verbal permission from my Game Warden and that I had 30 plus Student's and three master hunter instructors as Witnesses that will come forward. Later on the Captain from the Olympia Office calls me too. I told him the same thing. It was all legal but I used a Bow cam to film it with Permission from the game Warden. Later that night, My game Warden calls me at home and I told him what happened. I also refreshed his memory about the Camera on my bow and that he had given me permission in front of many Witnesses. The next morning I was called again, I didn't get into any trouble but I did remove the video out of respect for the officers. The Bowhunter that turned me in wanted points for turning me in. You won't see me put anything with a Battery on my bow again. It turned out to be a headache. ;)

My mistake on the other forum was enjoying the flaming and egging them on. :o:rolleyes:

Spiker
12-05-2011, 11:59 AM
No electronics here either. Regs state 'on the bow or arrow'
How a lighted nock would give you an unfair advantage in killing a critter I am unable to figure out but - thats the law.

Double S
12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
No electronics here either. Regs state 'on the bow or arrow'
How a lighted nock would give you an unfair advantage in killing a critter I am unable to figure out but - thats the law.

I've been to one of the meetings. Some Anti hunters/ Politician believe that some arrows can have GPS and laser devices added to the arrow. They believe that hunters will run around shooting Deer with arrows before season starts and track them to the bedding area. So they know where they are when the season starts. :mad:
They figure that if there's no batteries in the arrow or bow, Someone cannot add a tracking device to the arrow. They also state that it gives an unfair advantage to the hunter and it's not Sporting or fair. :rolleyes:

Spiker
12-05-2011, 02:15 PM
I've been to one of the meetings. Some Anti hunters/ Politician believe that some arrows can have GPS and laser devices added to the arrow. They believe that hunters will run around shooting Deer with arrows before season starts and track them to the bedding area. So they know where they are when the season starts. :mad:
They figure that if there's no batteries in the arrow or bow, Someone cannot add a tracking device to the arrow. They also state that it gives an unfair advantage to the hunter and it's not Sporting or fair. :rolleyes:

Ya know - I've never thought of it quite like that. I guess because I'm just a scroungy, blue collar, overworked, underpaid, honest, family oriented, ahole that believes in
being able to sustain myself and my family by harvesting the renewable resources provided to us on this big spinning rock.
So yeah - suppose ya could just dart some trophys (or raise them with chips under their skin) and then charge and guide a bunch of worthless pieces of spit with gps
guided arrows out into our forests.
Wish I didn't have this in my brain now.
Think I will just go check on my winter garden and think about a new long bow.

droppixel
12-05-2011, 06:01 PM
http://youtu.be/PdL0pk07uTw

Still a work, going to tinker with it some more later. Going to do as much as I can to bring the shock down as much as possible. I have an idea of what I need to do, it is just getting it done. The arm needs to be shortened/reinforced to make it more rigid thus not giving it any room to really move upon the impulse of the shot.

I did a first set up with the connection arm zip-tied to my stabilizer, vibration seemed to be a bit lower there because there was less area for it to travel, but it looked ridiculous and would be "semi-permanent". With what I have going on now, I can take it on and off.

droppixel
12-12-2011, 06:55 AM
http://youtu.be/7c9LAzIjfjA

Latest test video of the mount. Took the bracket and cut it in half and then welded it back together overlapping the 2 pieces to laminate it for more rigidity. A little stiffer than I expected, but helps the vibration more than before. Need to tinker with it some more to make the phone fit more snug with the mount to keep it from popping out.

ElkSlayer
12-12-2011, 07:21 AM
see Im not the only one who lives ina crazy state... we can film, just nothing mounted to bow or arrow... I still gettin luma nocks for my flu flus just too hard to find em in the grass while messing around..

The phone mount looks good semes to work well too. Cant wait to see it flim your next hunt. good job you lucky guy who gets to put electronics on there bow... dang it Oregon

Double S
12-12-2011, 08:39 AM
The video looks good.

ElkSlayer
12-12-2011, 09:42 AM
can you zoom in and see the arrow flight or even it in the bag? just wondering if you will beable to see the hit on your next volunteer..:cool:

droppixel
12-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah I can zoom it, that was fully zoomed out - It's currently shooting HD 720p - so the picture should still be pretty good. When I get home it is generally dark, so next time I get some light - I'll do a zoomed video. At that point, I should have figured the rest of the connection out so I don't have to worry about the phone jumping out. That video had a zip-tie around the phone and craddle to keep it from popping out. I think it is jumping out because there is so little room for the mount to flex to reduce the shock that the force is just pushing to phone out of place.

ElkSlayer
12-13-2011, 06:31 AM
all right then sounds like you have it almost whiped... do need to lose that zip tie, and any duct tape... lol good luck man hope you get it solved soon ... Man Im almost jelious... I dot have a fancy phone like that so Im ok for now...lol

elkslayer4x5
12-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Seems like you need a flexable washer between your camera mount and your bow, something to absorb some of the shock.

droppixel
12-14-2011, 07:42 AM
all right then sounds like you have it almost whiped... do need to lose that zip tie, and any duct tape... lol good luck man hope you get it solved soon ... Man Im almost jelious... I dot have a fancy phone like that so Im ok for now...lol

Seems like you need a flexable washer between your camera mount and your bow, something to absorb some of the shock.

Just need to shoot it this weekend. Got it pretty much where I think it is going to be. Rigged up a "trap" piece that will hold the phone in place so I don't have to worry about a tie or anything like that. I'll get some pictures up when I get home.

For the shock, still trying to figure out what else I can do to bring that down - so far, from all my "tests" this is by far the least amount of vibration that comes through the video. I think with the nature of the position and probably the same for any camera mounted to a bow, you are going to have some that you will ultimately have to live with. I think there are a few things I could try to see if that makes any difference.

Also, would like to consider shooting lumenoks or tracers, just don't want to throw off my FOC and don't want to go up to a 125 or more head. Looking to go over to the Harvest Time arrows at the end of the season, otherwise I could just add a GT weight to mine, unless the GT inserts will fit the HT2 arrows and then I could go with that. Would just want to ensure I'm spinned properly to accommodate for that extra front end weight.

ElkSlayer
12-14-2011, 07:53 AM
no more phone popin out... thats a good thing..
As for the vib @ the shot. I see what you say, not much a guy can do there.
As per the luma nocks good idea, I just looked at some @ cabelas yesterday while i was there...30 bucks per 3 ouch..I was also worried about FOC and my walet...lol

droppixel
12-14-2011, 11:18 AM
There are DIY lighted nocks out there - not sure that I want to put some of those together just to see how I like it, there is a post somewhere, forget where* that has a review of almost all the lighted nock options out there - pros/cons/prices/etc.

Found it, it's a little old - but all the info is pretty much there: http://archeryreport.com/2009/08/lighted-nock-review/

droppixel
12-14-2011, 07:17 PM

Here are some pictures of the set-up. I still have to get the steel off and paint it, just wanted to get it fitted and test first. Going to clean up the weld a little more - did it as a quick job and just hit is with a quick grind, once it is painted it should look really nice. More videos this weekend sometime to show the new shots.

ElkSlayer
12-15-2011, 06:00 AM
looks good... did you add a rubber spacer... and why did you use steel was thats just what you had, and could weld.. IMO, would go with some Alum, instead to cut the weight down some... it too can be welded just not by the average welder...lol

I see the little locking tap you added take it thats all it needed....lol be here waiting for more up dates ,your lucky to be able to film Off the Bow

droppixel
12-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Steel is what I had - I wouldn't be opposed to modifying it in the future if I could get my hands on aluminum, just don't have a tig welder. Didn't add a rubber spacer to the stab mount yet - not sure how much it is going to help, but I'll probably throw one on just to see what happens. Thinking I'll go up to the hardware store and pick something up that will work. I have a rubber bung that connects the mount at the top to the metal piece. So far pretty happy with it, but as with anything I'll tinker with it until it is perfect or if I find a better solution.

ElkSlayer
12-16-2011, 05:43 AM
as with anything tinker tinker till its perfect or works that way... I here ya use what you have , thats what we do, But here its all alum. lol... scraps I drug home over the years of working in a machine shop....:cool:

Spiker
12-16-2011, 06:36 AM
Hey Drop - check this out:
http://www.firenock.com/main.php?page=iBowSight

droppixel
12-16-2011, 07:39 AM
as with anything tinker tinker till its perfect or works that way... I here ya use what you have , thats what we do, But here its all alum. lol... scraps I drug home over the years of working in a machine shop....:cool:

For sure, I could probably get my hands on some heavier gauge aluminum and get a bracket cut out, would just need to do some poking around. I made a cardboard template of my current one just in case before I cut it down ;)

droppixel
12-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Hey Drop - check this out:
http://www.firenock.com/main.php?page=iBowSight

Yeah I saw that the other day, looks pretty interesting, but I'm running an Android!

ElkSlayer
12-16-2011, 08:20 AM
For sure, I could probably get my hands on some heavier gauge aluminum and get a bracket cut out, would just need to do some poking around. I made a cardboard template of my current one just in case before I cut it down ;)

take note all you Diy guys.. this is how a professional tinker does it ...lol good idea droppixel
nothing worse then making a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ see cant even type it
:cool:

droppixel
12-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Looks like I can get some small pieces of 5 gauge aluminum on evilbay for relatively cheap. Might look into it. Doing some out loud keyboard thinking ... bet if I ran a bead down the center that will give me the rigidity (think corrugated alum siding) I would need and still be able to make my bends for the mounting areas.

ElkSlayer
12-16-2011, 01:31 PM
humm perhaps... whats the decimal = to 5 gauge..

ElkSlayer
12-16-2011, 03:18 PM
humm perhaps... whats the decimal = to 5 gauge..

.2092 is what it is , that should be plenty just like it is bent into your form or cut and welded.. How much dose that phone weigh

droppixel
12-16-2011, 06:18 PM
4.77oz for the phone. Overall it really isn't that bad weight wise, I'm sure the aluminum at that size might be about the same weight, maybe a little less. Won't know until I try it though, but I might be able to cut the aluminum down to a more refined/cleaner shape. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for only $6.

ElkSlayer
12-17-2011, 05:32 AM
not too bad ..almost broke the bank on that mount...lol if you use the alum it will cut the mass weight down

firenock
12-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Due to the variation of android and its hardware, and lack of solid capability of the OS, this is going to be iOS only for now. It is one of the leanest app out there, the entire app is only 2.7MB. DYI, it just became available as of this morning at the iTunes App store, .... very proud... very excited... the first app I am involved with the on the iOS platform. Not a cheap app, but the sales is going to be very limited, thus the price. $99.95 Did you see in the profile, my name and hunting set up is on it... I am getting famous... LOL

For those who are interested, the iBowSight mount is made of 7000 and 6000 series AL, so for the first 1500 insertion, the phone should be +/- 0.003" so it is meant to be a reliable sight for those who understand and demands it. As of today, the iBowSight Safari version is on the web, the North American version should be what most people wanted due to its ability to take on and off in less than 10 seconds. The safari due to a 2 piece design can take up to 20 seconds to be on and off and may cost more! The NA versions is going to be $99.95 in black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x95HO4ka0Is

droppixel
12-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Took some shots this morning with the zoom - it really messes up the resolution of the video, so that won't be happening. Also, there is probably no way to see the arrow flight without a lighted nock.

I like what firenock has and I think their app is really cool - just not for me right now. Nocks on the other hand, might look into those ;)

ElkSlayer
12-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Was wondering if that would be the case....