PDA

View Full Version : Had a great season this year more deer in one year then ever before

Ford
11-22-2011, 02:07 PM
So I posted the 3 point I shot with my bow last week. Well I shot that tuesday, and saturday was the opener of the shotgun season. I shot this 8 point at 7:30 am. I just bought an h&r ultra lightweight 20 guage, and its been doing a great job. Deer went about 70 yds and dropped. One of the biggest bodied deer I've shot, and the 2nd biggest rack I've gotten. Then I got this doe yesterday ran 40 yds and dropped. I've never got this many deer in a season let alone a week. Been really blessed this year.

HawgEnvy
11-22-2011, 02:16 PM
good shootin',Josh. 5 bowkills for me so far and 2 tags left to fill. congrats!

Ford
11-22-2011, 02:30 PM
nice hawg, thats a pile of deer. I havent seen larg numbers of deer this year, actually I've seen 3 deer in shotgun season, and killed 2 of them. Slow for most of my family they havent seen anything

Double S
11-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Congrats. I'm kinda envious of you guys. I can only kill one a year. Plus I wasn't drawn for a second deer lotto.

Speedykills
11-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Congrats nice buck.

Ford
11-22-2011, 04:02 PM
thanks. I grew up in pennsylvania but was born in washington state. my grandfather use to hunt there but I'm I think the regs were a little more liberal then. In pa we are limited to one buck and you put in for a doe tag. no matter what the implement its just those 2 deer. I like nys regs other then the shotgun rule. But there does seem to be less deer here then in pa. Seems to be feast or famine.

elkslayer4x5
11-23-2011, 06:05 AM
good shootin',Josh. 5 bowkills for me so far and 2 tags left to fill. congrats!

Would love to have that many tags to fill, got the deer for it, we get one buck tag, can apply for a 600 series anterless tag and if we get real lucky can draw another tag, so basicily 2 deer and hope for the 3rd. Oh well, over the counter elk tag for $42.50 and the $14.50 bear tag help make up for that. :)

ElkSlayer
11-23-2011, 06:46 AM
true that ...sports pac for 165. elk, bear, deer, cougar and turkey tag, upland bird and salmon stealhead report tag. more deer tags would be great but if a guy tags out on all this well frezzers going to be fullup

Ford
12-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Added another doe to the count today in the Pa rifle season. Good size doe, used the 243 that my brother will inherit when he is old enough to hunt. Shot it at 75 yds through the woods, took out one lung, the heart, and lodged in the offside shoulder. Didnt pass through but she piled up 15 yds from the hit. I'm impressed with this little 243, I've always used a 270 or larger rifles, but this thing kills deer dead in a hurry. Shooting a 95gr nosler ballistic tip close to 3000fps. Killed 4 deer in 3 years with it. 2 deer dropped where they were shot, the other two made it no more then 20 yds with a shot behind the shoulder. I can honestly say it will kill anything he puts a decent shot on. Zero recoil, especially after the laminated stock I built for it. Best part of the hunt was spending the morning with him, and having him there for the harvest. It was his first year tagging along, hopefully next year he will be holding the gun. hopefully post a pic soon

elkslayer4x5
12-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Congratulation on another venison doner. The .243 has been very popular ever since its introduction for the exact reasons you mentioned.

MLN1963
12-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Congratulation on another venison doner. The .243 has been very popular ever since its introduction for the exact reasons you mentioned.

My .270 makes for a lot more bloodshot meat than my .243 for sure. I let the boy use the .243 since it shoots flatter in case he miss judges the distance. The thing about the .243 is they usually drop right there.

elkslayer4x5
12-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Daughter in law shoots a .223, does the same sort of damage to deer as it did to people which is why the armed forces adopted that round, high speed bullets fragment on entry, deer usually drops right there, but I'll still pack my .270 unless I forced to go bigger, then it'll be the .338 Win Mag. Lets see 'em stand up after that round goes thru 'em! :cool:

Ford
12-05-2011, 07:58 AM
This next year I should have a couple of custom builds completed. One in 260 ai, and one in 6.5x50. The 260 is a dream rifle I've always wanted, but in the process of building it I'm leaning more towards a little slower round that imparts more energy. I will post some pics when they are done and a report on how they work on deer. I'm thinking even better results then what I've used previously, with little recoil, in short easy handling rifles.

elkslayer4x5
12-05-2011, 09:26 AM
This next year I should have a couple of custom builds completed. One in 260 ai, and one in 6.5x50. The 260 is a dream rifle I've always wanted, but in the process of building it I'm leaning more towards a little slower round that imparts more energy. I will post some pics when they are done and a report on how they work on deer. I'm thinking even better results then what I've used previously, with little recoil, in short easy handling rifles.

It almost sounds as if you're describing the 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser, 140 grain bullets at 2600 fps. Capable of taking most big game in the lower 48 states and a great deer round.

Ehunter
12-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Congrats on a great year Ford. Glad to see you had such great success. I agree, the .243 is about as good a deer rifle as anyone could own. I use my .257 Weatherby for most of my deer and antelope hunting, but I think the .243 is every bit as good, and a heck of alot cheaper to shoot! lol

Ford
12-12-2011, 04:36 PM
The 6.5x50 is what the japanesse used in ww2, or at least the early parts of it. It is similar to the 6.5x50 but a bit slower, smaller case, less capacity. I've heard the recoil is extremly low, but the knockdown power is really good, and there is hardly any recoil. The dimensions are very similar to a 250x3000 or commonly known as the 250 savage. Just with a 6.5 mm bullet. I fell in love with the 6.5mm, it penetrates deep because of it long slender bullets, bucks wind better then most 30 cal bullets, and retains speed well with high bc. Add that to a short easy to carry low recoil rifle and its a winning combination. Its my 3rd 6.5mm project in the last few years.

MLN1963
12-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I would like to get a 6.5 Grendel upper for my AR and take it hunting. I would have no problem shooting deer, hogs, black bear or anything we have here in OK including Bigfoot. :cool:Ford, put up some pics of that laminated stock you built for the .243.

Ford
12-18-2011, 05:18 PM

This is the stock I made for my stevens 243. Its from richards micro fit stocks. The inletting wasnt horrible, took a few hours to get things where I wanted them. Had to square everything up. It was pretty thick everywhere and I reduced it some, if I had to redo it I would take more off. The gun balances well but it feels a little heavy. I cut the stock to my length of pull, adjusted the grip to my hand size, and cut down and shaped the forend to a schnabel tip. Has a limbsavers recoil pad, it reduces recoil very well, but doesnt grind cleanly and leaves some residue on the pad. I put the sling swivel studs in, and finished the stock with about 4 coats of tru oil hand rubbed. I like the look, but the tru oil had a tendency to yellow the lighter colors in the wood, it suppose to be black and gray. Pictures arent great but its a cell phone and its the best I can do for now. it was a good experience, took about 40 hours or so to complete. I cant say I would jump on a richards stock again, if you have plenty of time and patience they arent bad. The quality of wood could be better had some air pockets that made sanding a real pain, but what can you ask for when you spend 75. Im happy with it, just learned a few good lessons with it.

MLN1963
12-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Looks good, you did an excellent job. I like the colors and I really like the Schnabel fore end. I have that on my Anschutz 1416D and I really like them. I have one on a 702 Plinkster that is the boys now that I think of it.

I have never tried making a stock but I kind of like these plastic stocks. I'm over pretty guns I have to worry about keeping pretty. I go for the utilitarian approach and don't worry if I bang the stock against a tree or it gets caught in the briars trying to cross through the tight stuff. I'm not negligent, but I just don't worry as much with the plastic stocks as I do with my Anschutz and that is nice.

I'm now trying to find a gun that is capable of good 250-300 yard shots (deer deadly, not sub-MOA) that is as short as possible (legal of course). That would be so much nicer trucking through the woods. I thought about a AR with a bull pup stock. That would be handy or a very short break action gun like a Handi-rifle or Rossi. If I really liked it then I might get a TC Encore or TC Pro-Hunter.

ElkSlayer
12-19-2011, 10:05 AM
wife has a Handi and its deer deadly for sure just a .223 4x5 also has a 25-06.. great single shot rifles..
they both have custom stocks made buy 4x5. thou the forend is stock in this picture5241

MLN1963
12-19-2011, 11:56 AM
wife has a Handi and its deer deadly for sure just a .223 4x5 also has a 25-06.. great single shot rifles..
they both have custom stocks made buy 4x5. thou the forend is stock in this picture5241

I would probably get a .243, 7mm-08 or preferably some 6.5 caliber round if they come in that. I don't want anything too recoil heavy in a light gun.

I've never owned a Handi but I hear some are shooters and some are not. Same thing with the Rossi versions.

ElkSlayer
12-20-2011, 06:46 AM
some handi's need a little attention. the two we have are stright up shooters.
they come in 243 and 7mm 08...And Uh they are not light, heavy guns for what they are

Ford
12-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Yeah I havent owned a rossi, I do have an h&r in a 20 guage slug gun and I really like it. I find the rossi and H&R to be very front heavy and kinda awkward. With that said I bought the slug gun in their ultra light weight design and added a pound of weight in the buttstock, it brought it up to 7 lbs, and balances beautifully.
If your looking for a nice short design that is accurate I would go with a tc contender carbine. E arthur brown makes a barrel in 6.5 brm. I dont know if its contoured it may be straight bull which wouldnt balance well, but I know those carbines are short and light. If you get a 24" barrel it still shorter then a bolt gun, and you get all that extra barrel length to keep your velocity up. The 6.5 brm will shoot 140gr bullets at 2400 fps. Very mild kick, excellent penetration, excellent knock down. And those bullets buck wind better then 30 calliber 180gr rounds. The encore is a little beffier but you could do any number of easily found 6.5s, like the 6.5x55 sweede. The 6.5 brm is a relaoded cartridge but I think e arthur brown sells it loaded as well.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the stock guys. I shaped the schnabel tip myself. Wasnt extremly difficult, just time consuming. I squared the end, and make a square line a given amount back from the tip, and kept the file at the same angle and worked around the tip. Progressively moving further and further back with different angles. Like making a lot of perfect flats, then gently rounding them off.
my next project will be a walnut stock on a 6.5x50 arisaka. Going with the full length stock to the tip of the barrel, like rugers international rifles. I made a butterknife bolt handle to be welded on the bolt. Little things at a time, will add up to a nice rifle. It should have a 20" barrel so pretty short and good handling. Will have to see how accurate it is with the full stock. I'm hoping for moa or 2" tops.

ElkSlayer
12-20-2011, 08:42 AM
thats a very nice shape job done by Hand.. love the finished color. makes me want to redo mine again, its time anyway

Ford
12-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks, it was a labor of love. I enjoy doing that kind of work when I have the time. Absolutely hate sanding but enjoy the file work and shaping. And I like having something slightly different then everyone else, sometimes the only way to do it is by hand, trial and error.

MLN1963
12-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah I havent owned a rossi, I do have an h&r in a 20 guage slug gun and I really like it. I find the rossi and H&R to be very front heavy and kinda awkward. With that said I bought the slug gun in their ultra light weight design and added a pound of weight in the buttstock, it brought it up to 7 lbs, and balances beautifully.
If your looking for a nice short design that is accurate I would go with a tc contender carbine. E arthur brown makes a barrel in 6.5 brm. I dont know if its contoured it may be straight bull which wouldnt balance well, but I know those carbines are short and light. If you get a 24" barrel it still shorter then a bolt gun, and you get all that extra barrel length to keep your velocity up. The 6.5 brm will shoot 140gr bullets at 2400 fps. Very mild kick, excellent penetration, excellent knock down. And those bullets buck wind better then 30 calliber 180gr rounds. The encore is a little beffier but you could do any number of easily found 6.5s, like the 6.5x55 sweede. The 6.5 brm is a relaoded cartridge but I think e arthur brown sells it loaded as well.

Ford

I just bought a TC Dream Season Omega muzzleloader from E. Arthur Brown (http://www.eabco.com/index.html). That company has great customer service!

I have looked at the EAB Model 97D (http://www.eabco.com/97ref.html) and the 6.5 cartridge comparison (http://www.eabco.com/6.5_mm_cartridges.html) a lot. I wish I had the money to order a M97D today!

Since you mentioned the Handis being front heavy I was thinking a single action in 6.5 Grendel with an 18" (maybe 20") barrel. I don't know how short of barrel is practical on the 6.5 BCM. The Grendel ballistics would be more than sufficient for any hunting I would do, even with a slight velocity loss in the 18" barrel. The weight would be less and balance point would be moved back. The total length would be around 32" and very easy to buck brush with. The inherent accuracy of the 6.5 caliber would lend plenty of accuracy in the short barrel this has already been proven in the AR platforms with short barrels. This is just a pipe dream and thinking out loud as it would cost way too much to have a custom barrel made.