PDA

View Full Version : Fletching

rpalt1
11-22-2011, 04:38 PM
I want to get back into arrow building and can't decide which way too go as far as fletching. What's everyones preference? I thought of going to fobs but it just doesn't seem the same

Speedykills
11-22-2011, 05:12 PM
I use blazers,stick great hard to come off,only when i blow through my target and hit fence.Light offer great flight,lots of colors to choose from.

coolsam402
11-22-2011, 05:23 PM
I use blazers,stick great hard to come off,only when i blow through my target and hit fence.Light offer great flight,lots of colors to choose from.

fusions are better get the 3 inch with the twist its amazing stick amazingly get that good like super glue stuff easton makes its a small tube but its amazing great great GREAT great great arrow flight and stability of the arrow good and stiff vanes love them i have converted 4 about to be 5 tomarrow when i go to my pro shop to get some for this guy and you can get them usually for 29 cents each but there the best

SJunior
11-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Blazers here.

coolsam402
11-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Blazers here.

you people get like walmart stuff just sayin not being mean but ya

SJunior
11-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Coolsam402, as soon as you show me that you have enough experience with the products you say are the best you shouldn't downgrade what others use. Seems you have a lot to learn.

Speedykills
11-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Coolsam402, as soon as you show me that you have enough experience with the products you say are the best you shouldn't downgrade what others use. Seems you have a lot to learn.

Thinking same thing,,,,,,,,,why people have to come on here and act like this is beyond me,ill make bet now theres a ban in this members future!

coolsam402
11-22-2011, 05:48 PM

umm ok ive shot 5 long a2a bows this is my first small a2a bow yes i had a few issues with it ive also have had ALOT of experance with bows ive actually worked at an archery shop during the summer and ive worked on bows and have shot many diffferent types of arrow and numberoous products that are available on the market im also a captin at 2 different archey leagues and i also have my own archery league that i run so befor you say anything y dont you try the fusions were in my case i have tryed the blazers and didnt particulaey care for them so

and in the 4 people i have converted to fusions 2 of them were blazer users and thought that they were the best till they used the fusions and one guy was just regular what ever vanes and the last 1 and the one tomarrow just used thoes nap wraps thAt shrink in hot water

Speedykills
11-22-2011, 05:53 PM
umm ok ive shot 5 long a2a bows this is my first small a2a bow yes i had a few issues with it ive also have had ALOT of experance with bows ive actually worked at an archery shop during the summer and ive worked on bows and have shot many diffferent types of arrow and numberoous products that are available on the market im also a captin at 2 different archey leagues and i also have my own archery league that i run so befor you say anything y dont you try the fusions were in my case i have tryed the blazers and didnt particulaey care for them so

Then why do you act like a .........then,if your so smart you sure dont show it,every post you make is a smack towards other people or try to belittle them or martin products.You might think it's all fun and games until you try to log on and cant because you got banned...........

SJunior
11-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Not gonna jack this thread to argue, but still not convinced.

HawgEnvy
11-22-2011, 06:05 PM
lovin' me some Blazers. they can't be all that bad if nearly every major manufacturer is using them. got tired of the 4" feathers tearing up. my next batch will be Blazers w a right helical. my pro shop guys tell me great things with that set up and small fixed blade BH's like the ST's. it doesn't cost any extra so can't hurt to try.

coolsam402
11-22-2011, 06:09 PM
lovin' me some Blazers. they can't be all that bad if nearly every major manufacturer is using them. got tired of the 4" feathers tearing up. my next batch will be Blazers w a right helical. my pro shop guys tell me great things with that set up and small fixed blade BH's like the ST's. it doesn't cost any extra so can't hurt to try.

i had fethers last year i liked them other than when i went out in the snow and they got wet then they had problems but i would usethinm if there was no snow or rain to get them wet

and blazers are good just not my choice

Double S
11-22-2011, 06:42 PM
4 plus years with fobs. I won't use anything else for hunting. I've tried fusions, blazers now Gator vanes. Still getting familiar with Gators Feather vanes. But I always go back to Fobs.

coolsam402
11-22-2011, 06:55 PM
4 plus years with fobs. I won't use anything else for hunting. I've tried fusions, blazers now Gator vanes. Still getting familiar with Gators Feather vanes. But I always go back to Fobs.

how are the fobs i was thinkin about trying them

ClydeWigg3
11-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Bohning makes a fine vane in a Blazer. I've been shooting them a long time and never had any trouble. If they don't stick you might not be following Bohning's instructions. A lot of people don't realize that the Blazers don't require any prep. If you clean a Blazer like you would the others, it won't adhere to the arrow well.

I'll issue this challenge, if you have a problem with the Blazer post it up here and I'll address it, or get you the answer you need to fix the problem.

Rottzilla
11-22-2011, 07:32 PM
FOB's are the way to go, I love FOB's I have been shooting FOB's for about a year now, before FOB's I shot Blazers and did ok with them but since I tried my first FOB that was all it took. They are virtually unaffected by wind, much less drift than Fletchings. They keep the heaviest of BH on track.

Paul has had customers who use them to hunt elephants, where the arrows weigh up to and around 800gr. A lot of vanes have troubles with that.

But if I didn't shoot FOB's I would definitely shoot blazers. Check out FOB's at http://www.teamstarrflight.com/ I go by VAhunter08 there. Look us up.

Don B
11-23-2011, 01:10 AM
Feathers for me, thats what I have shot almost all my of my archery life (40+ years). I shoot the Gator Vane feathers now and love them. I tryed Blazers and other plastic vanes for a bit but went back to feathers.
For my sloppy finger release feathers work the best.
Don.

rpalt1
11-23-2011, 03:03 AM
thks all i wass looking at the bohning fletching tower as a jig. has anyone used this jig?

elkslayer4x5
11-23-2011, 04:37 AM
I've shot Blazers, had to go to a wide axle on the bottom of my X rigged Slayer in order to get vane clearence. Had no trouble gettting them to stick, even on shafts that I dipped ( Sorry, old school guy, dipped 8" of nock end instead of a wrap ) in paint. Really had no problem with the blazers, but I'm switching to Norway Predators, a slightly shorter vane so that I can go back to a standard axle. Using one wide axle seperates the cables and allows them to vibrate, have to have cat whiskers on the cables now to keep Ole Gail quiet right now.

ElkSlayer
11-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Limeted to my ole school 5" untill i get new arrows.. use feathers on the recurve . did the boys in 2" ryzors realy like the results we got on them.. have 3" vain tec low pro on target arrows stick ok and fly nice

rpalt1
11-23-2011, 08:00 AM

I shoot a martin cheetah with a 30" ata do you think the fobs would work? also do u have any problems with arrow recovery?

Double S
11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
I shoot a martin cheetah with a 30" ata do you think the fobs would work? also do u have any problems with arrow recovery?

What's your DL? Make sure you have a Drop away. I've lost one arrow in 4 years while out hunting. That's when I first started using Fobs. I didn't use arrow wraps. Now I use bright Wraps for easier Arrow shaft recovery. it's even easier to find a stray arrow at dusk. I use a flashlight and the Florescent wraps show up faster with a flashlight. The Fob pops off during pass through and drops on the ground. If the buck doesn't drop but takes off. You can use the fob as a marker for location of the start of your tracking. I usually leave the fob at the spot until I recover my animal. Depending on terrain, the Shaft is usually 10 feet behind the fob. It usually lost so much speed from the pass through that it's just laying on the ground or just stuck in the dirt 2-3 inches. Fobs are hard to beat when shooting in Windy conditions like where I live. Any sound that comes from fob comes from the back of the Fob back toward the shooter. I've never had a animal duck a Fob'ed arrow. I would be more worried about String noise that arrow noise. My favorite Fob colors to use are White, orange and Pink. Pink is the best i think. You can see it from a distance. I don't use White fobs during the winter. I use black fobs if I'm shooting with non fob users. it's harder for them to see the fobs. Fobs can last a long time if used correctly. One Fob, one Spot.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/FobsandTightSpotquiver3.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Starrlfight%20Fobs/FOBwraplocation1.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Starrlfight%20Fobs/StarrflightFobs010.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Starrlfight%20Fobs/FobPics013.jpg

Double S
11-23-2011, 03:03 PM
how are the fobs i was thinkin about trying them

I love them. Check out their website for more info. starrflight.com. I'm mainly a hunter so it's what i mainly use. The only reason I mess around with blazers and other fletching is because many Organizations, Tourney's don't allow them in competition ( For now) I know they are allowed in spots and I believe FITA. They take a few feet per second off your speed because the airfoil has more drag than a standard vane. I'm not a speed freak so I'm not worried about the 3-4 fps loss That's why they are great for steering Broadheads. Heavier, the better. The Owner, Paul has one of the best top notch Customer service's in the Archery business. I've been through all the Fob bashing on AT and I still stick to Fobs. ;)

rpalt1
11-23-2011, 03:20 PM
What's your DL? Make sure you have a Drop away. I've lost one arrow in 4 years while out hunting. That's when I first started using Fobs. I didn't use arrow wraps. Now I use bright Wraps for easier Arrow shaft recovery. it's even easier to find a stray arrow at dusk. I use a flashlight and the Florescent wraps show up faster with a flashlight. The Fob pops off during pass through and drops on the ground. If the buck doesn't drop but takes off. You can use the fob as a marker for location of the start of your tracking. I usually leave the fob at the spot until I recover my animal. Depending on terrain, the Shaft is usually 10 feet behind the fob. It usually lost so much speed from the pass through that it's just laying on the ground or just stuck in the dirt 2-3 inches. Fobs are hard to beat when shooting in Windy conditions like where I live. Any sound that comes from fob comes from the back of the Fob back toward the shooter. I've never had a animal duck a Fob'ed arrow. I would be more worried about String noise that arrow noise. My favorite Fob colors to use are White, orange and Pink. Pink is the best i think. You can see it from a distance. I don't use White fobs during the winter. I use black fobs if I'm shooting with non fob users. it's harder for them to see the fobs. Fobs can last a long time if used correctly. One Fob, one Spot.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/FobsandTightSpotquiver3.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Starrlfight%20Fobs/FOBwraplocation1.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Starrlfight%20Fobs/StarrflightFobs010.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Starrlfight%20Fobs/FobPics013.jpg
My dl is 29" I called starflight today and was impressed on the time paul took to explain his product.
wether he was just tring to make a sale or not he offered some quality advice and I was suprised at how
interestedhe was in my concerns. Appearently if there is an issue with string pinch he suggests spreading the d-loop a bit[ makes sense] I"m going to try and make a test sleeve and see if it works. I"m starting to lean towards fobs only because i'll be starting my daughter off this spring and feel it would be easier and more involement for her to work as much as possible on her own equipment

Double S
11-23-2011, 03:26 PM
My dl is 29" I called starflight today and was impressed on the time paul took to explain his product.
wether he was just tring to make a sale or not he offered some quality advice and I was suprised at how
interestedhe was in my concerns. Appearently if there is an issue with string pinch he suggests spreading the d-loop a bit[ makes sense] I"m going to try and make a test sleeve and see if it works. I"m starting to lean towards fobs only because i'll be starting my daughter off this spring and feel it would be easier and more involement for her to work as much as possible on her own equipment

That's great to hear. I've called Paul in the past. I would ask him a quick Question and we would end up talking for almost an hour. He want's to make sure you are all set. If you decide not to use Fobs, he always wants to know why and always gives the archer his best. He never puts someone down for not using his products. He wants the Archer to be happy with whatever he or she uses.

For transparency reasons... I sound like a liberal..LOL. I am one of his Staffers.

rpalt1
11-23-2011, 04:01 PM
thks double s I havent decided yet but I have all winter lol

polaris754
11-24-2011, 01:38 AM
do the fobs slow your ibo any? i like the idea,on how they werk,and by the way good shootin double s

ElkSlayer
11-24-2011, 06:59 AM
That is some nice shooting DS.. Now did the fobs help you do that in any way? also do the sell a test pack ? do they make all shaft size, or just a few carbon sizes ?

gravedigger
11-24-2011, 07:35 AM
now im thinking about fob's.whould have to change my rest but they are so ez to use and put on in the field.said i would never use them but now im thinking about it after watchin vid and reading.hmmmmm

ElkSlayer
11-24-2011, 07:41 AM
now im thinking about fob's.whould have to change my rest but they are so ez to use and put on in the field.said i would never use them but now im thinking about it after watchin vid and reading.hmmmmm

best be carful befor you know it you will be a target archer too...

elkslayer4x5
11-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Well he does admit to shooting some 3D....before he started taking out fence posts. :D

gravedigger
11-24-2011, 07:51 AM
best be carful befor you know it you will be a target archer too...
no target shooting for me,large groups of people make me nervious.heck i drove 45 min out to practice killing some foam deer and there were 15 rigs parked....i turned around and went home.:o

Well he does admit to shooting some 3D....before he started taking out fence posts. :D

that fence post was talking smack and got what was coming to it.tell ya what i would do it all over again.lol:p

ElkSlayer
11-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Ok everybody keep an eye out for smack talking fence posts... Some of us can hear them... Never have my self but hey I keep an ear out...lol

gravedigger
11-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Ok everybody keep an eye out for smack talking fence posts... Some of us can hear them... Never have my self but hey I keep an ear out...lol

them smack talking fence post will look alot like this.please use caution,they might try and fight back.
http://images.imagelinky.com/1322157495.JPG (http://images.imagelinky.com/1322157495.JPG)

elkslayer4x5
11-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Love that shot, there'll be no smack talkin outta that post any more!
On a more serious side note Chris, tell the family happy Turkey and have a wonderfull day! :)

ElkSlayer
11-24-2011, 08:11 AM
what a mean fence post

gravedigger
11-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Love that shot, there'll be no smack talkin outta that post any more!
On a more serious side note Chris, tell the family happy Turkey and have a wonderfull day! :)

happy turky day to you and yours as well.my family and i are not doing anything today.my wife has to be to work by 8 and she works for wal-mart so i let her sleep today.my oldest is sick,my youngest is sick so just being hermits today.
really wish i was at work.great day to work and make money