PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference?

Uncle Bob
11-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the Nitro Hybrid Pro Cam and the Fury XT cam? I'm just trying to decide which would be better for me on the Cougar FC.
Thanks

boobowbender
11-29-2011, 09:34 AM
the nitro is the dual cam and fury is a single cam older dual cam bows had a lot timing problems, but they have fixed that. others will know more than me but thats what i understand. the nitro will be fastr. i guess its personal preference shoot both. there are die hard dual cam guys and there are disbelievers. i bought the dual cam because they supposedly got all the kinks out. now that i have learned basic tuning(from this site) i believe the 2 cams bows when timed perfectly shoot awesome. theres going to be cam lean no matter what. thats what the trg was going to eliminate but couldn't. every other company is trying to come up with their own gimmick to reduce or eliminate it too. prime or g5 or something like that has a cool new cam design to fix lean but the bow will cost a cool grand. i've also seen plenty of pics here with single cam lean problems sooo....the choice is yours. shoot both. my cams lean and my bow is scary accurate so i just accept it.

bfisher
11-29-2011, 02:25 PM
As boo (that's my grandson's nickname) says the Nitro is a dual cam setup, but with a twist. It's not truely dual cam, but BINARY. The main difference between them is that with true dual cam systems the cable from the cams attaches to the axles at the opposite end of the bow. With binary cams the cable attaches to the cam and then to opposite cam. This is called "slaved cams".

True dual cam systems are pretty much in the past and it's a shame. The problem with them used to be that the cams could go out of sync with each other, sometimes needing constant tweaking to get them back in time with each other. This was due to the string material and string manufacturing processes of the time, and the fact that most companies didn't put good strings on their bows in the first place.

Prior to those original fastflight days bows had steel cables and these very rarely ever went haywire, but evolution can't be stopped.

Anyway, due to the string issues of the past somebody (Mathews?) decided that a single cam on one limb and an idler wheel at the other would be just the ticket. People ate up the concept and some still swear by them. It was advertised that a single cam could not go out of sync, as it was the only cam on the bow. What people didn't realize was that the single cam can still go out of time (different from sync), due to the same string material/manufacturing processes. What usually happened was that the string, being approximately twice as long as the cable, would creep (Stretch) twice as much. Usually it happened over time, but this would throw the bow out of tune by changing the rotation of the cam. The draw length would increase along with the draw weight. In short, the bow was not tuned anymore.

There was also a matter of nock travel. Many of the earlier solo cam bows had idler wheels that were too small for the cam and less than perfect cam design. This caused the nocking point to "dynamically" change during the shot. Just putting it simply, the nocking point got lower. This caused accuracy problems.

Most of these problems have been resolved for the most part. String materials have improved greatly since the early days of "fastflight" in the early 90's. Manufacturing has too, as most good string makers can make a set that creeps very little initially and then settles down for the life of the string. Some bow companies (not all) are putting better strings on some of their bows. Shooters have become more educated about the benefits of custom strings and replace the original strings when they get the bow, assuming it doesn't have good ones on it.

Cams have changed a lot, becoming faster, lighter, and smoother to draw. I've shot both single, dual, and binary cams over the last 40 years. Nothing can compare to the performance and adjustability of a true dual cam, but you aren't going to see them any more. We're stuck with solo or binary today. You hear all the time from the uneducated that one or the other is smoother to draw or is faster. Don't believe it. How a bow feels or how much speed is produced has nothing to do with how many cams are on the bow. It's strictly determined by the design of the particular cam and modules attached thereon. As for speed? Generally the more aggressive the cam design the faster it will be at a given draw length.

My advice? Shoot them all and decide for yourself.

boobowbender
12-01-2011, 09:52 AM
see what a great place this is to learn about tech. I learn something new all the time

elkslayer4x5
12-02-2011, 04:45 AM
Yep, Barry is full of it ( info ) all right. :D Sorry Barry, just could'nt help myself, I had to type that.

bfisher
12-02-2011, 06:44 AM
Yep, Barry is full of it ( info ) all right. :D Sorry Barry, just could'nt help myself, I had to type that.

I know. No harm. I dish it out and I know how to take it. LOL.