PDA

View Full Version : who knows about cameras

gravedigger
11-29-2011, 04:27 PM
i bought this for my wife as a b-day gift.seen it on walmarts website and i bought it because it was in my price range,and she work there so the discount she gets that i used that she does not know about helped toits a Canon PowerShot SX130-IS Black 12.1MP Digital Camera w/ 12x Optical Zoom, 3.0" LCD Display.my daughter broke my last digital camera so this is what the wife is getting.we are not pro photo shooters,just want to take pics of the kids and cool stuuf we see in the mountains.so is this camera any good or is it just one of them "it will do the job "kind of things.she also got a new preintr/scanner/copyer thing and a tent for the back yard so she can smoke her cancer and stay dry.i spent a grip of cash on this stuff and could have bought my new bengal but points with the wife will get me a new bow come tax returns;)
http://images.imagelinky.com/1322619628.jpg (http://images.imagelinky.com/1322619628.jpg)

Ehunter
11-30-2011, 12:23 AM
GD, that's a heck of a good camera. I have the SX120 version. It takes a little bit of learning, but takes amazing pics, and is pretty easy to use once you get accustomed to it. It's the best digital camera I have owned, and I really like mine. I'm sure she'll love it.

Chip
11-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Hi Gravedigger,

I don't know much about the model that you bought, but Cannon is a top brand. It's also good that you bought one with 12x optical zoom instead of digital zoom. I think 12 mega pixels is more then enough for most people, to me the glass is more important than a high pixel count. I have a Pentax K-100 DSLR that is 6 mega pixels and it takes great pictures due to the fact I can put a high quality lens on it. The reason I went with a Pentax is that I shot a Pentax 35mm in the 80's and I had some really great old lenses that work on the Pentax digital bodies. Had Pentax not made their bodies compatible with all of their old lenses, I would of looked into a Cannon Rebel DSLR. I think she will love it, oh and enjoy that new bow when you get it.

Note: Pentax is the only manufacture that makes their DSLR'S compatible with all of their legacy lenses. I wanted to make that clear just in case someone with a Cannon or Nikon 35mm would read this. I would not want see someone buy a digital body to find out they had to buy lenses for it after reading this.

Chip
11-30-2011, 01:08 AM
I figured this would be a good thread to attempt to post an image I took with the Pentax.

droppixel
11-30-2011, 04:57 AM
For what you are trying to accomplish yeah it is a nice camera. If you where looking to any more than everyday photography, family type stuff on trips and what not, I would suggest the DSLR. You get a ton more capability and control over the photography. Still the PowerShots have been pretty innovative with what they can do and I'm sure you will be happy with it.

RLW
11-30-2011, 06:03 AM
i bought this for my wife as a b-day gift............ Canon PowerShot SX130-IS Black 12.1MP Digital Camera w/ 12x Optical Zoom, 3.0" LCD Display...........

I think for the price that is one of the better cameras out there.........started looking a 2-3 months ago at getting a new camera. Did quite a bit of research and read many reviews, and came real close to buying the SX130. I really like the 12X optical zoom and other features it has that I like on my others Canons like optical image stabilizition, plus price seemed very reasonable. Only reason I didn't buy that model, is that I decided I wanted something more compact this time.

Currently I have two digital Canons, they are both well made and both take really nice pictures. My oldest one is a S2IS, 5MP w/10X optical zoom. When my previous Pentax broke (an old WR90 film) , I bought it to be my primary camera and ended up packing it along on all my outdoor adventures. It's still a very nice camera (other than it's tiny 1.8" LCD display sucks in bright sun light), but a bit big for hauling around outdoors.
Wanting something smaller I got the A590 in '08 and it has accompanied me through all my hunting trips and strapped to the handlebars on dirt bike trail rides....... It has held up well to 3yrs of outdoor/offroad abuse, but it's 4X zoom just isn't enough at times, I've cracked the battery door in rocks and soon after the AA battery life started getting very poor.

Ended up getting the new Canon ELPH 310 HS last week (or will.....guess the wife decided Santa will bring it for xmas :) )
At 8X (28-224mm), it doesn't have quite the optical range of the SX130 (28-336mm) or zoom on my old S2IS (36-432mm) that I like so much, but it's an actual 60% greater than my A590 (35-140mm) and I like the compact size.
Also not real keen on the rechargeable battery.....AA batteries like in the SX130 and my others are so easy to change in the field and can find in most any back country store if needed......but I'll get a spare and adapt.

MLN1963
11-30-2011, 06:07 AM
I figured this would be a good thread to attempt to post an image I took with the Pentax.

Chip, did you have that blue as a back drop or add it digitally? My wife is starting to do more with her Canon T3i(?) and wants to do some portrait stuff.

gravedigger
11-30-2011, 06:42 AM
thanks fot the input fellas.for only paying 180 W/ a case.tripod,and memorie card i just could not pass it up.need to capture the carzy things my kids do..whle there still kids.

ElkSlayer
11-30-2011, 06:53 AM
good camra alright... they have a good track record.... I want a rebal...
I have a nikon cool pix l22 Its got more features then I use IT is MY camra stays in my pack... we have a nother 12 x digatel for the grandkids and all the lifes fun moments ... good deal for you stock up the wife on her B day so tax time is a new bow...you old dog your learning....lol

gravedigger
11-30-2011, 08:11 AM
good camra alright... they have a good track record.... I want a rebal...
I have a nikon cool pix l22 Its got more features then I use IT is MY camra stays in my pack... we have a nother 12 x digatel for the grandkids and all the lifes fun moments ... good deal for you stock up the wife on her B day so tax time is a new bow...you old dog your learning....lol

that right.a guy has to give a bit to get a bit.i thought a camera,printer and a stay dry cancer smoking tent thing would buy me an A-ok for the bow;)

although a new rangefinder and arrows maybe gps is almost sounding better then a new bow.maybe a new string set from hutch to.not 100% yet on what i want.as a good huby it my job to make the wife happy so i can get the cool toys with out feeling like i did somthing wrong.lol.

we are planing on taking a famly portrat thing infornt of this watter fall my wife and i used to visit,thats depending on hwy-6.if its going to be icey and snow coverd then no waty will i take my kids on that hwy.its known as a death hwy because of all the stupid people that think they can do 100mph and not roll there rig over the cliff.cant wiait to try it out,just came via fed-x yesterday

ElkSlayer
11-30-2011, 08:28 AM
heck with the death raod , you keep them little girls safe and AT home... you posted a pic of the grounds had a beautiful cherry tree in it ...spring time sit under it .. for now got a fire place.. woods are nasty this time of year unless your backdrop is all watwer an rocks it wont be a great pic like you want..trust me taken lots of self done protrates....back drop is key..

I would opt out on the new bow if i was in need of a gps IT is the greatest tool I own.. Want to go to MY spot here is the LAT an LON ##... OH you all thought i would post that NO way buddy.. BUT i can tell 4x5 via the walkie and Bang here he is ina hour or what ever depending on how far apart we are...

elkslayer4x5
11-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Gd, you'll get a lot of years out of you ole Bengal. not time for a new one as yet, unless of course you'd like one. But if you don't have a GPS, get one, current technolgy in GPS's will blow you away. I bought my Magellan Explorist 500 in 2007, got one for ES's birthday the next year. A great tool, now I won't leave the truck without it. Really should have one, we could get you lost down here.

gravedigger
11-30-2011, 09:18 AM
ya a new bow is just a i want kind of thing.GPS is a i need for my pak.the places i go and how far i walk through the woods is just crazy.i hate to nav my way out by the sun or just a guess.and it is a great peice of mind tool to.

ElkSlayer
11-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Gd, you'll get a lot of years out of you ole Bengal. not time for a new one as yet, unless of course you'd like one. But if you don't have a GPS, get one, current technolgy in GPS's will blow you away. I bought my Magellan Explorist 500 in 2007, got one for ES's birthday the next year. A great tool, now I won't leave the truck without it. Really should have one, we could get you lost down here.

LMAO oh yea no worries just find a creak and follow it down stream HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHa lol
like that works round here... be lost for years

gravedigger
11-30-2011, 09:23 AM
heck with the death raod , you keep them little girls safe and AT home... you posted a pic of the grounds had a beautiful cherry tree in it ...spring time sit under it .. for now got a fire place.. woods are nasty this time of year unless your backdrop is all watwer an rocks it wont be a great pic like you want..trust me taken lots of self done protrates....back drop is key..

I would opt out on the new bow if i was in need of a gps IT is the greatest tool I own.. Want to go to MY spot here is the LAT an LON ##... OH you all thought i would post that NO way buddy.. BUT i can tell 4x5 via the walkie and Bang here he is ina hour or what ever depending on how far apart we are...

the place we want to take pics has a great backing.watterfall,rocks just a awsome spot.i dont want to go there but my wife really does.i will for sure find out how the roads are when i go up to saddle mountain on my sunday hunt.

Chip
11-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Chip, did you have that blue as a back drop or add it digitally? My wife is starting to do more with her Canon T3i(?) and wants to do some portrait stuff.

Hi MLN,

I have four painted canvas back drops and that's one of them. I found them cleaning out an old barn and the women let me have them along with a stand for them. I prefer to use the natural optics, such as filters on the lens as well as natural backgrounds. I am not saying it's bad to do things in the digital darkroom I just don't like messing with the pictures to much. I have two Britek PS 200 strobes with umbrellas and a Britek AS66 strobe I bounce off the ceiling from behind the canvas. I use a wireless RF trigger mounted to the hot shoe of the camera to trigger the strobes. The Britek strobes are not the best on the market, but for an amateur like me they have served me well. I started taking pictures outside have look for overcast days and shade on sunny bright days. This will prevent dark shadows on the subjects face. You can still take pictures in the sun after all sometimes shadows are a nice effect or you can pick up a reflector and bounce the light on the subject as well as using fill flash. Tell her to get creative have fun and take a ton of shots some will bad and some will be great. One more thing on outside pictures, have her try getting tight to the subject I have taken shots were I have been just a few feet away from the person.

Spiker
11-30-2011, 03:33 PM
My experience with Canon has been great. They work, take great pics once you figure them out and the CS is quite a bit like Martins.
I had one that was 10 years old, beat up and abused, and started acting up. I had no receipts or anything for it but called them about
having it repaired and they told me to just send it in and they would look at it.
They sent me back a brand new camera, the newest version, at no cost to me.
I've bought two more since then because of that and still use the 'old' one the most.

gravedigger
11-30-2011, 05:01 PM
My experience with Canon has been great. They work, take great pics once you figure them out and the CS is quite a bit like Martins.
I had one that was 10 years old, beat up and abused, and started acting up. I had no receipts or anything for it but called them about
having it repaired and they told me to just send it in and they would look at it.
They sent me back a brand new camera, the newest version, at no cost to me.
I've bought two more since then because of that and still use the 'old' one the most.

thats some good stuff right ther.my nikon broke and called them about it and what i got was a too bad so sad kind of thing.grated my daughter pushed on the lense and broke it but just wanted to know if it could be fixed cheeper then buying a new one.think i will be sticking with canon