PDA

View Full Version : Vertical V's Horizontal Pin Tuning

darkember
12-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Have aquired a Trophy Ridge V5 vertical pin sight & would like any info on tuning techniques. All i can find are the techniques used for horizontal varients.

Thanks

Wil

Speedykills
12-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I would think it would be the same!!!!!just pins setup in front of each other.....

MLN1963
12-01-2011, 02:16 PM
I was going to buy a vertical until the retailer talked me out of it. He said the same reason why the vertical is nice is the same reason most he has talked to go away from them. The bottom line was the vertical pins covered up to much of the vital area you want to aim at making it more of a guessing game as to where you are placing your shot. Maybe it was psychological but it seemed to hold true when I was looking through one. Try it and see what you think and let us know.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I was going to buy a vertical until the retailer talked me out of it. He said the same reason why the vertical is nice is the same reason most he has talked to go away from them. The bottom line was the vertical pins covered up to much of the vital area you want to aim at making it more of a guessing game as to where you are placing your shot. Maybe it was psychological but it seemed to hold true when I was looking through one. Try it and see what you think and let us know.My Son used one for a while and it is hard to see the pins. We sited in the same way as any site.

Hutch:cool:

HawgEnvy
12-01-2011, 03:39 PM
i started w single pins,got bored and thought multi pin would be better. i was wrong. its much easier to pick a spot without trying to see through all the other pins. i'm back to a single green .019 fixed pin sighted in for 30yds. from an elevated position,my 30yd pin is spot on a 35yd target and its just a matter of compensating for longer distance(aim higher). but since my practice sessions are for hunting prep only,i'm not likely to need anything beyond 35yds. most times(98% i'd say),my kill shots are from 6-18yds from ground or stand.

just something to consider. do you REALLY need all those pins? I don't. but everyone is different. it's all personal preference.

elkslayer4x5
12-02-2011, 04:11 AM
Grandson in law has one of those sights, he likes it, I don't but then I'm hooked on HHA OL 5519's. Any more than one pin is extranous clutter for me. But that does'nt help adjust your sight. Start with your 'close' pin, the top one, set it for your choosen distance, AND windage, when done step back and set next pin for height, and so on, once set for windage ( horizontal ) on the 1st pin, you should be good to go.

ElkSlayer
12-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Grandson in law has one of those sights, he likes it, I don't but then I'm hooked on HHA OL 5519's. Any more than one pin is extranous clutter for me. But that does'nt help adjust your sight. Start with your 'close' pin, the top one, set it for your choosen distance, AND windage, when done step back and set next pin for height, and so on, once set for windage ( horizontal ) on the 1st pin, you should be go to go.

have to add.. he actuly hates it in low light all he can see is a large pin sticking up. great for a 20 yarder... set up as posted may need to set windage again when your at 40 -50 we set his @ 40 works great when he can see all 5 pin heads.... thought is was da bomb untell he looked threw my 5 pin and our HHA's....good luck

Speedykills
01-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Im curious how this turned out for the OP,i traded some broad heads for a older trophy ridge 3 pin matrix sight with verical pin's.I really like the sight good build quality and all but the fiber was not bright at all had a really hard time seeing anything below the top green pin.So i orded new truglo fiber and replaced the stock stuff with this and what a difference it made.Now i have very bright pins,kinda different getting used to new pin's vertical and all.If this works out this might be my go to sight.Im also looking at the newer TR sight they look pretty good.

wscywabbit
01-21-2012, 03:43 PM
I have the same sight he just acquired, and I love it! First I must mention that I have an older Trophy Ridge inline, and no the pins are not very bright. But the new ones are as bright as my friend's Tru-Glo.

I've been shooting the inline sights so long that regular side-pin sights drive me nuts; I feel like I can't see the right side of my target...

As far as set up goes, it sets up just like any other sight, nothing spectacular or overly different.

bowgramp59
01-22-2012, 02:57 AM
the only vertical sight i will use is a single pin sight, tried a trophy ridge 5 pin vertical didn't like it at all. my favorite is the truglo 4 pin micro ajust with the green pins that get smaller .029, .019, .010, .010, . i shoot differant wt. arrows from time to time, 400 grn. for such as deer and hogs. 350 grn. for shooting those pesky humming birds on the wing, i just make 4 clicks and i'm on the money . just joking about birds on the wing, i wait till they land out at 30 yards. now i'm lying ! { have a good day}

Skbengal
01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
I too had the trophy ridge v5 and loved it! Like Wscywabbit, I disliked how horizontal pins obscure so much of your viewing area. Like the others have said you tune it the same. The only problem I had was one of the fibers broke after a couple of years. Hope you enjoy the new sight!