PDA

View Full Version : onza 3 speed issues

vegas steve
12-04-2011, 06:44 AM
i recently purchased an 11' onza 3 and can't seem to get any speed out of this bow. at 29" draw this bow is nowhere near ibo with my current setup. 29" draw length,63lbs.,322grn linejammer, new 8125g string with three speed nocks at each end 3/16ths metapeep and small d loop. bow only went 295fps! i deleted the trg,went with a conventional cable rod and slide, and went with a lower sts. this gave me about 3 extra fps. this bow should be netting at least 318fps with this current setup. any advise would be greatly appreciated.

elkslayer4x5
12-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Like most manufaturers, Martin tends to be a bit optimitic about the IBO speeds obtainable, but you're getting decent speed with 1 inch less draw, 7 lbs under draw weight, and a light arrow. Are you sure that your timing is right?

vegas steve
12-04-2011, 07:17 AM
only a pound or so off,not 7. 297-298 isn't decent in my book for a bow that ibo's 330-340. theres no excuse for this bow not to hit at least 318 or better the way it's set up. yep,timing is perfect.

gravedigger
12-04-2011, 07:22 AM
is that bow rated 45-60 lbs or 55-70 lbs.

Speedykills
12-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Dont know what to tell ya,send it to crackers maybe!If bows in time and to spec not much you can do,i dont know if you have a 60 or 70 pound max bow or not that will make a big difference.
Maybe those speed nocks arent in a optimal position and the string material as far as strands will make a difference too.Might try some speed pro arrows also im sure that will get you some better numbers.

jnordwell
12-04-2011, 07:57 AM
i recently purchased an 11' onza 3 ibo with my current setup. 29" draw length,63lbs.,322grn linejammer, new 8125g .

IBo is 30 in at 70 lbs a 350 gr arrow. Ran it thru a calculator and 291 is what it spits out... I would say if you want more speed go to gym and pull more lbs...or get longer arms... LOL JK seems right to me...

elkslayer4x5
12-04-2011, 08:02 AM
i recently purchased an 11' onza 3 and can't seem to get any speed out of this bow. at 29" draw this bow is nowhere near ibo with my current setup. 29" draw length,63lbs.

only a pound or so off,not 7. 297-298 isn't decent in my book for a bow that ibo's 330-340. theres no excuse for this bow not to hit at least 318 or better the way it's set up. yep,timing is perfect.

IBO speeds are achieved with a 70 # bow, and a 30" draw not a 64 #er and a 29" draw. But you are 28 grns light on your arrow. just sayin.

vegas steve
12-04-2011, 05:15 PM
guys i've been an archer for over 30 years,i know what what the i.b.o specs are generated from,everyone knows.you guys haven't been very helpful,elkslayer you need to go back to school and take a general math course. i have no idea where you came up with 28 grains light on arrow weight. 322 grains at 63lbs. is still heavier than ibo spec. 322divided by 5 equals 64.4 lbs. simple math. a bow that is rated 330-340 at 30" draw 70 lbs and a 350 grn arrow should still make 318-322 at 29" with an arrow just over ibo weight for that draw weight. the guy who stated 291 is wrong too.

vegas steve
12-04-2011, 05:19 PM
i'm selling this bow there is nothing that can be done more to get this bow to get anywhere close to advertised speeds. martin needs to get it together better than this for me to ever buy another one.

elkslayer4x5
12-04-2011, 05:41 PM
guys i've been an archer for over 30 years,i know what what the i.b.o specs are generated from,everyone knows.you guys haven't been very helpful,elkslayer you need to go back to school and take a general math course. i have no idea where you came up with 28 grains light on arrow weight. 322 grains at 63lbs. is still heavier than ibo spec. 322divided by 5 equals 64.4 lbs. simple math. a bow that is rated 330-340 at 30" draw 70 lbs and a 350 grn arrow should still make 318-322 at 29" with an arrow just over ibo weight for that draw weight. the guy who stated 291 is wrong too.

IBO = 70# bow+ 30 draw and a 350 grn arrow, your arrow is 28 grn light of that.

Coyotehunter11
12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
I think its funny that some people expect to shoot less poundage with a shorter draw length and still hit ibo speeds. It doesnt matter if you have the latest hoyt or matthews bow, if you take them and set them to 63 pounds and a 29 inch draw there is no way to hit those speeds. It isnt martins fault so dont go blaming them.

gravedigger
12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
i wonder what you would hit if you added the 7LBS to hit the marker.like said befor you are 7 lbs off ibo not 1 like you stated 63+7=70

vegas please dont come on here and bad mouth our good members.we are trying to help.

vegas steve
12-04-2011, 05:43 PM
ok,that has absolutely nothing to do with my bow dilema.

gravedigger
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
ok,that has absolutely nothing to do with my bow dilema.

maybe you should take your issue over to archery talk.tons of people over there that im sure will chime in with some better thoughts for ya.best of luck on selling your bow

vegas steve
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
i wonder what you would hit if you added the 7LBS to hit the marker.like said befor you are 7 lbs off ibo not 1 like you stated 63+7=70

then i would have to shoot a 350 grn arrow to be legal. the bow would shoot the same speed.cmon guys stop worrying about the 70lb. thing a 63 lb. bow with the proper weight arrow at 29" shoot shoot about 8-12 fps slower than the same bow at 30" 70lb.,and a 350 grn arrow, not the speeds i'm seeing.

vegas steve
12-04-2011, 05:53 PM
I think its funny that some people expect to shoot less poundage with a shorter draw length and still hit ibo speeds. It doesnt matter if you have the latest hoyt or matthews bow, if you take them and set them to 63 pounds and a 29 inch draw there is no way to hit those speeds. It isnt martins fault so dont go blaming them.

man you guy just aren't getting it. i'm not saying that i should see 330-340 at my specs, i'm saying that i should see what simple math shows for my specs,figuring the shorter draw length,less draw weight and less arrow weight, my onza should be shooting at least 318 fps.

SJunior
12-04-2011, 05:54 PM
i recently purchased an 11' onza 3 and can't seem to get any speed out of this bow. at 29" draw this bow is nowhere near ibo with my current setup. 29" draw length,63lbs.,322grn linejammer, new 8125g string with three speed nocks at each end 3/16ths metapeep and small d loop. bow only went 295fps! i deleted the trg,went with a conventional cable rod and slide, and went with a lower sts. this gave me about 3 extra fps. this bow should be netting at least 318fps with this current setup. any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Why are your specs different than what you posted on AT?

vegas steve
12-04-2011, 05:56 PM
because i bumped everything up a bit trying to see some improvement.

SJunior
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Can you honestly tell the difference just by shooting it? The bow maxes out at 63#, if you want it faster buy one that maxes out at 70#. I personally don't think it's something to worry about.

jnordwell
12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/

speed calc link

jnordwell
12-04-2011, 06:10 PM
all speed helps u with is missing faster...lol
besides if speed was your deal then you should ponied up the money for a pse omen pro or mathews monster.. .with a ibo of over 350 you should be close to the 300 mark at 60 pounds and your 29 in draw..If you bought the onza be cause it was a great price just be happy with what you are getting for speed. I shot a Hoyt vulcan maxed out at 73 lbs at 30 in with a 410 gr arrow was shooting 309 fps...89 ft lbs.. My new bow with sore shoulders of older age is 62 lbs same arrow shooting should be close to 285 fps and 70 lbs of ke... Suits me just fine... I use to shoot a 53 lb recurve that was shooting 192 fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just be happy

droppixel
12-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Only 295? I'd be pretty satisfied with that - how much faster do you REALLY need? I mean, yeah it is possible, but are you really going to notice it unless you are shooting through a chrono with every shot? I don't have enough experience with arrow speed, so this could be a way off comment, but I'd say 295 isn't anything to shake a stick at.

SJunior
12-04-2011, 06:29 PM
302 on AT, must be faster on that site.

MLN1963
12-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Vegas Steve

What is the serving like on your bow. My FC400 had so much unneeded serving on it that it wasn't even funny. I had like 13" on the string from where the optional STS went up past the TRG. I got rid of the unneeded and my bow was still not to the IBO speeds corrected for my DL and DW. It was about 12 fps slow from what the calculations said it should be. Anyway, you seem on top of things but thought I would mention what was up with my bow and thought it might relate to yours too.

Spiker
12-04-2011, 06:45 PM
I havent owned an Onza but I lean toward agreeing with Vegas.My Nemesis set at 63# and 29" with an ibo weight arrow would shoot 313fps.That was with stock strings.You might want to look at the cam rotation and maybe wrap them up a bit tighter.Your not going to get lots more out of it but it should shoot 310 at least.All the Ryteras I've had will hit the bottom number of the ibo spec.

Ehunter
12-05-2011, 12:42 AM
I'm getting 302 fps at 73# draw, 383gr. arrow, 28.25 inch draw length. Whiskers, D-loop, and peep on the string. That's pretty close to the low end of IBO specs for the Onza. I'm thinking it's gotta be something with the bow you have. Cam timing, not wrapped enough, something....

RLW
12-05-2011, 04:52 AM

I was curious, so using your posted specs and low end of Onza3 listed IBO rating of 330-340, I ran it thru a OnTarget2 program.
Not sure which Linejammer arrow you use or length (must be pretty short) but finally got one down to 322grs..............Program calc'd 306.41 fps

Assuming bow is tuned/timed right as mentioned:
Did you verify against another chronograph?
Was chronograph in good outdoor light?
Double check draw weight w/another scale? (one of our bow shops in town swears it's scale is right on, but shows my bow 6-7lbs heavier than mine (that I know is correct) and 2-3 others I've tried)
I have had slightly lower fps right at first with new string until shot in a bit, but not more than 2-4fps lower

vegas steve
12-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Only 295? I'd be pretty satisfied with that - how much faster do you REALLY need? I mean, yeah it is possible, but are you really going to notice it unless you are shooting through a chrono with every shot? I don't have enough experience with arrow speed, so this could be a way off comment, but I'd say 295 isn't anything to shake a stick at.

thats not what i paid for.

vegas steve
12-05-2011, 05:36 AM
302 on AT, must be faster on that site.

ended up being a fluke. bow only shot a best of 297,rediculous.

vegas steve
12-05-2011, 05:40 AM
all speed helps u with is missing faster...lol
besides if speed was your deal then you should ponied up the money for a pse omen pro or mathews monster.. .with a ibo of over 350 you should be close to the 300 mark at 60 pounds and your 29 in draw..If you bought the onza be cause it was a great price just be happy with what you are getting for speed. I shot a Hoyt vulcan maxed out at 73 lbs at 30 in with a 410 gr arrow was shooting 309 fps...89 ft lbs.. My new bow with sore shoulders of older age is 62 lbs same arrow shooting should be close to 285 fps and 70 lbs of ke... Suits me just fine... I use to shoot a 53 lb recurve that was shooting 192 fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just be happy

look guys i wasn't looking for advise on just being satisfied with a slow bow. if all you have to offer is crap like this then please do not comment on this thread. i'm looking for REAL technical advise, not opinions on what i should be satisfied with.

vegas steve
12-05-2011, 05:42 AM
http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/

speed calc link

this calculator is not even close to being accurate

Spiker
12-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Post #25 and 26 is trying to be helpful.
The bow will make stated IBO speed if it is set up correctly.
Have you tried giving Joel at Martin a call and discussing it with him?

bfisher
12-05-2011, 06:01 AM
man you guy just aren't getting it. i'm not saying that i should see 330-340 at my specs, i'm saying that i should see what simple math shows for my specs,figuring the shorter draw length,less draw weight and less arrow weight, my onza should be shooting at least 318 fps.

Steve,

Wow!!!!!!! Welcome to the forums. I see that everybody is stating IBO specs as they are rated. You aren't shooting IBO specs, but I do say what you are saying. I don't care how anybody else looks at it you are shooting close enough to the 5 gr/lb ratio (70#/350gr). The only real loss you should have is for the 1" less draw length which should be between 10 & 15 fps. Subtract another 5 fps for the loop and peep. Give everybody the benefit of doubt and subtract a total of 20fps.

So subtract that from the low end range advertised and you'd be at 310 fps. So yes, I do see what you are saying.

I don't know if you're aware of it, but on AT there is an old thread about optimizing performance from the Cat cams. I'm not good at posting links, but if you can find this it might get you into the ballpark. The analogy is that these cams produce more speed if they are wrapped up more.
Search for the thread and see what you can do with it.

IMO most bow speeds are inflated by about 15fps. Most all companies. Hoyt seems to be an exception.

I would tell you that the numbers you are getting are fairly close in comparison to both my Ryteras with Hybrix cams. I shoot 27" draw (measured) and at 42# with a 209 gr arrow or 47# with a 230 gr arrow both bows shoot around 277 fps. These are both 3D setups. Being as I don't hunt anymore I try to get all the performance I can. When I hunted I could care less about speed. I shot a lot of deer years ago with bows shooting 200 fps or even less, but that is not the issue here.

droppixel
12-05-2011, 09:40 AM
thats not what i paid for.

Fair enough, but did you just pay for the speed or did you pay for performance, quality, etc? There has to be something off with the spec/timing if you aren't satisfied with how it is shooting right now. Was this a stock set-up for a random shop, do you know who set it up, did you set it up yourself? All of that could have a lot to do with what is going on.

look guys i wasn't looking for advise on just being satisfied with a slow bow. if all you have to offer is crap like this then please do not comment on this thread. i'm looking for REAL technical advise, not opinions on what i should be satisfied with.

Looking back, I think a lot of people have offered good advice at where to look and as well as chimed in on some opinions. Everyone here is pretty chill and there is no reason to get all worked up over a forum post. If you want REAL technical advice, be patient with what people have to say here - or go get REAL technical advice at a shop.

Not to be a jerk, but the overall approach for someone new to the boards isn't that great - take it slow, there are a lot of good regular guys here that can trouble shoot a lot more than most.

Skbengal
12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Are you sure the chrono your using is accurate?Is there another range you could try and see if you get the same results?I've heard they can be quite fickle,each one varying wildly.

bowgramp59
12-05-2011, 02:51 PM
IBO speeds are achieved with a 70 # bow, and a 30" draw not a 64 #er and a 29" draw. But you are 28 grns light on your arrow. just sayin.

and i'm pretty sure those ibo's are achieved by shooting the bow with a machine and noughting on the string and no fletching on the arrow, there's no way to get close with a 63# bow @ 29 draw length!

bfisher
12-06-2011, 07:41 AM
and i'm pretty sure those ibo's are achieved by shooting the bow with a machine and noughting on the string and no fletching on the arrow, there's no way to get close with a 63# bow @ 29 draw length!

I'll vouch for the fact that nothing is on the string when testing, but for what he's got on the string it should only make about 3-5 fps difference.
I do disagree with whether the shaft has fletching. This doesn't matter so long as the total arrow weight is 350 grains. The fletching won't slow the arrow down until it's farther down range or at least well clear of the bow.

Do have to agree about lighting for the chrono. Flourescent or poor lighting can make a world of difference. I've noticed some major differences between chrono's too, but I attribute most of that to the lighting differences.

Coyotehunter11
12-07-2011, 05:12 AM
I just found this video and was pretty suprised that this bow can actually get within the ibo speed. Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNld32UWUgA&feature=related

CKI
12-07-2011, 08:40 AM
im shooting the 2011 onza 3 ... set at 63lbs ... 29"DL .... with a 320gr Victory Vforce HV 350 and i chrono'd out at 316fps ... id say check the timing

gravedigger
12-07-2011, 09:55 AM
I just found this video and was pretty suprised that this bow can actually get within the ibo speed. Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNld32UWUgA&feature=related

im shooting the 2011 onza 3 ... set at 63lbs ... 29"DL .... with a 320gr Victory Vforce HV 350 and i chrono'd out at 316fps ... id say check the timing

yere we have it.a member getting great speads and ike from youtube(and archery talk) getting the speeds.proof enough allright.

MLN1963
12-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Gravedigger

I noticed your bow speed and specs in your signature. You have 32 grain heavier arrows, 1.5" shorter draw length with an extra 3 pounds of pull and are getting 308 FPS for a bow that's IBO is 315-320. Something isn't adding up.

gravedigger
12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Gravedigger

I noticed your bow speed and specs in your signature. You have 32 grain heavier arrows, 1.5" shorter draw length with an extra 3 pounds of pull and are getting 308 FPS for a bow that's IBO is 315-320. Something isn't adding up.

really that is what i thought to.i shot 12 arrows through a crono at dicks and came out with a aveage of 308.now that i know about proper lighting and what not it very well could way way off.i dont have my own crono nor do i know anyone who has one.but 308 is what i came out with.