PDA

View Full Version : Arrow speed??

parttimr
12-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Ok you gurus picking the brains again. I am by no means a speed freak as my shots are 30yds or less. My bow is rated at 315-320fps and no I don't expect it to be that fast. However with my current set up and arrows they come in at 398 after adding 20gr weights to the front end to get my FOC to 12% show only 242fps and 51ft lbs KE. Seems way off but it still works. What are the experts thoughts? All my info is in the sig.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-06-2011, 02:32 PM
IBO 320
DL 28
ARROW WEIGHT 398
WEIGHT ON THE STRING 25 GRAINS

I came up with 268fps @ 183 mph
Kinetic 63 ft-lbs.
OR
IBO 315
DL 28
ARROW WEIGHT 398
WEIGHT ON THE STRING 25 GRAINS

I came up with 263fps @ 179 mph

Hutch:cool:

parttimr
12-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks Hutch that makes me feel better. I used the GT calculator to get my numbers and I like yours a lot better, lol.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks Hutch that makes me feel better. I used the GT calculator to get my numbers and I like yours a lot better, lol.I don't like the calculators, but that is the best I have. This week I hope to order my Chronograph. Then I will know the true speed of my arrows.

kylecurtis04
12-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Hutch, what chrono are you ordering? I have been looking to dabble in the chrono world myself.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-06-2011, 03:51 PM
I did a lot of looking and this is the link to the one I am getting the odd thing is walmart has it the cheapest. Many companies sell it but few at this price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Beta-Chronograph/4382670

It has great reviews and alot of people I have talked to own one.

Speedykills
12-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Ill cut to the chase,if you want speed go to the nitro or hybrix cams.I had a firecat tr1 i shot through chrono at 57# did a 254fps,with same DL,DW and arrow weight my AX did 284fps.Just a little comparison you might want to think about.

RLW
12-07-2011, 04:04 AM
...........I came up with 263fps.........
I'm not where I can plug this in to my OnTarget2 program, but based on what my Bengal set-up/fps (see sig), I would agree with the 263 fps being close.

The Pinwheel Software for Archers (OnTarget2) http://www.pinwheelsoftware.com/sfa.aspx , is an accurate calculator.......as long as you input accurate data/measurements required.
It's right there with what my chronograph shows. Program does require an annual subscription, but has a trial download.

My chronograph is a ProChrono, had it since '94 and works very well for my firearm/bow testing, as long as it's in decent outdoor light, and the 9V battery is good.
Early dawn or sunset light can throws some wild numbers, and indoors it's worthless without good incandescent light kit. The once or twice I've used in below freezing temps, has throw a few some strange numbers too.
Think it now runs around the $120 range

archerx7
12-07-2011, 05:01 AM
I did a lot of looking and this is the link to the one I am getting the odd thing is walmart has it the cheapest. Many companies sell it but few at this price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Beta-Chronograph/4382670

It has great reviews and alot of people I have talked to own one.

The Beta is one of the better units........real good deal at that price. I have a ProChrono Digital that is very consistant..........but is almost exactly 10fps slow using the indoor light kit. Good find Hutch

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-07-2011, 12:14 PM
The Beta is one of the better units........real good deal at that price. I have a ProChrono Digital that is very consistant..........but is almost exactly 10fps slow using the indoor light kit. Good find HutchThanks archerx7 I did a lot of studying what to buy. Arrow Splitter came up with the best places to buy. Now I went to buy it and it is out of stock. Good thing the he found a place only a couple dollars different.

bowgramp59
12-07-2011, 05:03 PM
was watching a gun show the other day, the guy said to get an accurate reading they used 2 cronos 1 in line with the other, i guess this would work for archery. i have never used one

ElkSlayer
12-08-2011, 05:24 AM
the last time i used a crono, It took a 10 shot average then spit out a number, that we used for reloading my .223

so stacking 2 up is like this only cost is more.. unless you an a buddy hook up... Hutch did you get that one orderd from wal mart Its like the one I have been looking at

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Well I ordered my Shooting Chrony beta today walmart got them back in stock. Can't wait to get it now.

ElkSlayer
12-08-2011, 03:48 PM
you know your going to need to set rental time or a tune up charge.. Hum Bows on super shoter thew a chrony... sign mine up soon as i get C cams

parttimr
12-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Like we talked about you keep this up and you'' end up with mine.