PDA

View Full Version : Onza 3 owners

Paradox
12-08-2011, 06:07 AM
If been evaluating........OK, let me be honest.........more like fantasizing about a 2012 bow purchase. As part of my usual mental stimulation exercises, I go through all the other brands but as always, I come back to Martin as the best bang for the buck. Lately, the Onza 3 has tickled my fancy. It boast the speed and features of the higher priced brands without that pesky credit card payment that seems to go on forever. So Onza 3 owners........what say you? What are your likes and dislikes.

bowgramp59
12-08-2011, 06:34 AM
we could have done without the one comment ! but about the onza 3 smooth bow to draw and fast enough for me, very accurate if you use proper form. be sure you get one that doesn't have the trg system on it, the 2012 bows all should have cable slide and lower sts systems . the picture is before i switched to cable slide and sts.

bfisher
12-08-2011, 06:54 AM
I took the liberty of cleaning up the OP's post. In answer to paradox, NO you can use the word I changed. I know you meant no harm, but we have kids who read here and their parents might have objected. No real harm so no apology needed.

In answer about the Onza? I haven't shot one so can't comment directly. I do have an Alien Nemisis which is a pretty close cousin. The bow is a dream to shoot. I like the saddleback grip and the Hybrix/Nitro cams are about as smooth a speed cam as you would encounter. In my hands it's not as easy to be as accurate as my Alien Z, but when I do my part it is accurate. Just gotta work a little harder at it. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Paradox
12-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks Curtis/bfisher

I've heard the TRG system could be problematic. Is the change over an easy one? There are some bargains out there on 2011's so if the price was right, would it may be worth it? My apologies also..........maybe mental anguish would be a better term when thinking about a new bow. These days there are is a bewildering array of choices and of course opinions, not to mention fierce brand loyalty by owners of some bow brands.

elkslayer4x5
12-08-2011, 07:03 AM
I took the liberty of cleaning up the OP's post. In answer to paradox, NO you can'nt use the word I changed. I know you meant no harm, but we have kids who read here and their parents might have objected. No real harm so no apology needed.

In answer about the Onza? I haven't shot one so can't comment directly. I do have an Alien Nemisis which is a pretty close cousin. The bow is a dream to shoot. I like the saddleback grip and the Hybrix/Nitro cams are about as smooth a speed cam as you would encounter. In my hands it's not as easy to be as accurate as my Alien Z, but when I do my part it is accurate. Just gotta work a little harder at it. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Thanks Barry. I also took liberty to slightly change your statement, as I'm sure you meant to say Can'nt. And you're correct, my grandson reads these posts, thanks again. :)

gravedigger
12-08-2011, 07:26 AM
i have not shot one but from what i read most people love them.decideing on a new bow can and will drive a guy up the wall crazy.im in the same situation as you,but with a bengal insted.

the trg is ez to switch out.no bow press and maybe 5 10 min of your time to do it.im sure what ever you go with will fit you great.just get out ther and shoot all brands that are crossing your mind.the bow will let you know if its right for you.

CKI
12-08-2011, 11:32 AM
as the onza being my FIRST Martin ever ... all i can say is AMAZING! wish i switched to Martin a long time ago!

Ehunter
12-08-2011, 01:51 PM
I have a 60# and 70# Onza. They are the two best bows I have ever owned. Fast, quiet, accurate, and easy to shoot. I hadn't shot the 70#'er for over a month, then last night, I took 6 shots at 60 yards. Kept everything in a 5 inch group. That says alot about the bow for me. I do plan on switching mine over to the standard cable rod and slide after hunting season is over, but haven't had any real problems with the TRG/SOS as of yet. I can see where it is slightly starting to wear one the cables though, so I think a change over is a good thing. I just bought a Rytera Alien X, and I still think the Onzas are a better bow. I would advise shooting anything you are interested in, and let the bow decide what you buy. You'll find the one that fits you best, and feels the best to you. That's the one to buy.

shoots martin
12-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Thought I would chime in on this topic. I have an Onza and am really happy with it, shoots fast, smooth draw, nice valley. The finish is less than perfect, but over all nice bow. With that being said, I have a decision that I have been struggling with. My dilemma is to sell my Onza, and get a Prime Centroid bow. The Prime bows are top notch quality, the finish is tougher, flawless. The dual upper and lower cams eliminate cam lean, also riser is made of 7000 aluminum. I'm stuck on the quality, but have shot a 2011 Centroid back to back with my Onza and my Onza feels and shoots as good as the Centroid. I feel like the finish on my Onza is cheap, and won't hold up. Martin customer service is awesome, so I have that to consider to.

gravedigger
12-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Thought I would chime in on this topic. I have an Onza and am really happy with it, shoots fast, smooth draw, nice valley. The finish is less than perfect, but over all nice bow. With that being said, I have a decision that I have been struggling with. My dilemma is to sell my Onza, and get a Prime Centroid bow. The Prime bows are top notch quality, the finish is tougher, flawless. The dual upper and lower cams eliminate cam lean, also riser is made of 7000 aluminum. I'm stuck on the quality, but have shot a 2011 Centroid back to back with my Onza and my Onza feels and shoots as good as the Centroid. I feel like the finish on my Onza is cheap, and won't hold up. Martin customer service is awesome, so I have that to consider to.

get your sel a cutom paint job..or powdercoat it.see fixed it.;)

MLN1963
12-08-2011, 08:49 PM
I feel like the finish on my Onza is cheap, and won't hold up.

I feel the same way. The kicker was when I used blue painter's tape, the low stick stuff, in the grip area to protect it when putting the bow on my draw board. When I removed the tape camo came with it. I was livid and it added another nail in Martin's coffin in my mind. It is a nice shooter but damn, all these little things are killing me.

shoots martin
12-09-2011, 02:22 AM
MLN1963,

Thats the kind of stuff that bothers me. I feel everytime I get my bow out, I'm on pins and needles waiting for something to happen again. I do understand that some of this is me, I like to keep my stuff in new condition.

Paradox
12-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Great input guys, thanks for your replies. I've heard the finish complaints before on a few youtube reviews of the Onza. With that said, the finish on my 2011 Exile seems pretty much flawless. I still shoot my 2002 Jaguar from time to time and that bow has also proved to be pretty much bomb proof. I'm really not that concerned with its beauty as much as functionality/performance to cost ratio. For beauty, I have 2 wall full of longbows and recurves. I guess when you consider that the Onza cost hundreds less than the equivalent competition, you cold conceivably forgive a few flaws in the finish. I also work right next to a powder coater so I could get crazy if it really bothered me. I've looked at used Bowtecs and Hoyts and come to the conclusion that for the same price, I can buy a new Onza. I've considered used as well as I've seen 2011's priced as low as $300.00. Now that would leave plenty of room for accessories and changing the finish.

elkslayer4x5
12-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Great input guys, thanks for your replies. I've heard the finish complaints before on a few youtube reviews of the Onza. With that said, the finish on my 2011 Exile seems pretty much flawless. I still shoot my 2002 Jaguar from time to time and that bow has also proved to be pretty much bomb proof. I'm really not that concerned with its beauty as much as functionality/performance to cost ratio. For beauty, I have 2 wall full of longbows and recurves. I guess when you consider that the Onza cost hundreds less than the equivalent competition, you cold conceivably forgive a few flaws in the finish. I also work right next to a powder coater so I could get crazy if it really bothered me. I've looked at used Bowtecs and Hoyts and come to the conclusion that for the same price, I can buy a new Onza. I've considered used as well as I've seen 2011's priced as low as $300.00. Now that would leave plenty of room for accessories and changing the finish.

Yep, can afford to change the finish with the savings. Now about these two walls of bows, How about some photos? We love bow pics here! :D

MLN1963
12-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Price wise, I think Martins perform decently, IE good shooters. I think there is a reason that Martin doesn't get the same prices for their bows as the others and that is quality of the bows they are putting out and the reputation they have. IMO It's not that Martin is being nice and giving us "good deals", it's that the market isn't going to bare the price. IMO all bows are over priced for what you get, Martin just isn't as bad. If you look at the used bow market as a whole it is soft, if you look only at the Martin/Rytera used market it is horrible. One thing that Martin/Rytera has going for it is Customer Service. Unfortunately, I have had to use it for numerous things and they have always done whatever it took to get me fixed up. It's just a crying shame that Martin is so well known for customer service. I know that I'm not an isolated incident either, there are too many others on these forums that they have taken care of to make things right. Joel and Brandon(?) have done a lot for people who have bought new and used bows to try make things right.

That said, I am a sucker for a low price. Its why I bought my Martin bow in the first place, speed for a low price. Even after all my woes I bought another for my son because it was a really cheap at the close-out price. He was waffling on using a compound or staying traditional so I wasn't about to pay big bucks for an experiment. I've also made offers on used Martins/Ryteras because for the low price I offered I felt it was worth the risk and I really didn't think the price could drop any more. The funny thing is usually I have been too slow and the bows have already sold for less money than I offered! Will I ever buy another Martin product? Like I said, I am a sucker for a low price and if I get a screaming deal I will not rule them out. One thing you won't see is me paying MAP/MSRP for one unless there are huge improvements in the quality control department.

elkslayer4x5
12-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Price wise, I think Martins perform decently, IE good shooters. I think there is a reason that Martin doesn't get the same prices for their bows as the others and that is quality of the bows they are putting out and the reputation they have. IMO It's not that Martin is being nice and giving us "good deals", it's that the market isn't going to bare the price. IMO all bows are over priced for what you get, Martin just isn't as bad. If you look at the used bow market as a whole it is soft, if you look only at the Martin/Rytera used market it is horrible. One thing that Martin/Rytera has going for it is Customer Service. Unfortunately, I have had to use it for numerous things and they have always done whatever it took to get me fixed up. It's just a crying shame that Martin is so well known for customer service. I know that I'm not an isolated incident either, there are too many others on these forums that they have taken care of to make things right. Joel and Brandon(?) have done a lot for people who have bought new and used bows to try make things right.

That said, I am a sucker for a low price. Its why I bought my Martin bow in the first place, speed for a low price. Even after all my woes I bought another for my son because it was a really cheap at the close-out price. He was waffling on using a compound or staying traditional so I wasn't about to pay big bucks for an experiment. I've also made offers on used Martins/Ryteras because for the low price I offered I felt it was worth the risk and I really didn't think the price could drop any more. The funny thing is usually I have been too slow and the bows have already sold for less money than I offered! Will I ever buy another Martin product? Like I said, I am a sucker for a low price and if I get a screaming deal I will not rule them out. One thing you won't see is me paying MAP/MSRP for one unless there are huge improvements in the quality control department.

I agree and is why I bought my first Martin.Something else Martin has going for them is their traditional line. That used bow market is'nt so soft for Martin's traditional bows.

MLN1963
12-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I agree and is why I bought my first Martin.Something else Martin has going for them is their traditional line. That used bow market is'nt so soft for Martin's traditional bows.

True, I have been looking for a bow for bow fishing and the DH bows aren't cheap when you see them for sale.