PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions on broadheads and dampening

Chip
12-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Good morning hunters,

I am getting ready for next season and was wondering what you guys think about broadheads and limb dampeners. My first question is what 100 grain broadheads fly the most like a field tip and still are effective? What do you prefer limb saver dampeners or bowjax? I am looking at the solid limb dampeners my bow is not noisy but limb savers and bowjax are a small investment to try, so why not. I shoot a 30 inch draw and 60 pound draw weight. My arrows are 29 inch 5575 gold tip hunter expeditions. Thank you for the help, and I enjoy reading your post.

Chip
12-10-2011, 05:21 AM
Sorry, I failed to mention I have been looking at and reading about G5 T3, G5 Montecs, and Rage broadheads. Of course your input on any broadheads would be of great value to me.

NuttyNative
12-10-2011, 05:25 AM
Your most likely going to get a ton of different suggestions. I use Throphy Taker Shuttle T's and Limbsavers, both do an excellent job for me. Try a few different broadheads and go with what works for you. I shot 5 different high end broadheads and the T's worked best for me. I'm going to try Rages next.

elkslayer4x5
12-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Good morning hunters,

I am getting ready for next season and was wondering what you guys think about broadheads and limb dampeners. My first question is what 100 grain broadheads fly the most like a field tip and still are effective? What do you prefer limb saver dampeners or bowjax? I am looking at the solid limb dampeners my bow is not noisy but limb savers and bowjax are a small investment to try, so why not. I shoot a 30 inch draw and 60 pound draw weight. My arrows are 29 inch 5575 gold tip hunter expeditions. Thank you for the help, and I enjoy reading your post.

I'll start it off by telling you that I probably won't be much help with the broadheads, I'll tell you that I shoot 3 blade Muzzys. I heard that a lot of guys have trouble tuning their bows to shoot Muzzys. Probably not alot of help because I shoot 'em out of a shoot-thru system, an X rigged Martin Slayer, circa 2006. Limbs savers or Bowjax, limb savers, because I like their look better that the bowjax. Have never used bowjax, so I can't tell you any pro or con about them.

Chip
12-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Your most likely going to get a ton of different suggestions. I use Throphy Taker Shuttle T's and Limbsavers, both do an excellent job for me. Try a few different broadheads and go with what works for you. I shot 5 different high end broadheads and the T's worked best for me. I'm going to try Rages next.

Thank you NuttyNative,
I figured I would get allot of options, my thought was to try to figure out what works best for most would make a good starting point. To be honest I don't have a bunch of money. My job was outsourced so my new job is at half the wages of my old job and finding a good shooting broadhead early on can save a ton of time and money.

Chip
12-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the input 4x5. Muzzy has been around a long time, so they must be doing something right. It is good to know that they can be a bit difficult to tune. Back when I did shoot allot I tried some Savora three blades and they where hard to get tuned in as well.

ElkSlayer
12-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Chip Muzzy is just like the rest they like a well tuned bow is all... I use them also only head i ever have used truthfuly... pack of 6 100 gr is under 40 bucks...hard to beat that price .. easy to re sharpen and come with practice blades...

others lised by you are all good well , rages ummm not real sure bout them some say greatthings while others say never again... beware of posers :eek:

MLN1963
12-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Chip

Since you are going to get as many opinions on this as posts I will throw this out there for something to think about. All Magnus broadheads (http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/) have a lifetime warranty on their broadheads. Have a miss or pass-thru and hit a rock or tree breaking/bending the broadhead? No problem, no questions asked, get it replaced.

I bought my son some 125 grain Stinger 4-blades for his recurve. He hasn't got a deer yet (tonight I hope) but they look very tough and are pretty dang sharp. If I didn't already have a bunch of BHs I would pick up some Stuffer SS for myself.

Double S
12-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Good morning hunters,

I use 100 grain fixed head BH's. I have no experience with Mech because they are illegal in my state. I've had great success with G5 Montec's and Grim Reaper HADES. The Hades was great. I did try some 2 blade Stingers this season. Just for chits and giggles. It took me two shots at 20 yards both pass through to put the deer down. I was not happy with the 2 blade. I returned the rest of the unused Stingers back to Midway USA hoping to trade them for more Grim reaper Hades heads but they were out of stock. So I had them switched to Trophy Taker Shuttle T locks. They are NIB and haven't used it yet so I cannot comment further on it's Flights characteristics. I do like my Bowjax Slipjax. I have one at the top and bottom of my string. I don't have a need to add a BowJax to the limbs.

RLW
12-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Dampeners: I've used limb savers for a long time and really like them............never tried bowjax.
Broadheads: My state requires fixed blade heads. Currently using Wasp Hammer SST, 100gr. Flies really nice out of my bow, right with my field points out to 60yd practice distance and based on my stump shooting during hunts, they are a solid durable broadhead.
As for personal input on performance on big game......I have no doubt they are a deadly broadhead, but while I came very close to getting shots this year on a couple bucks, just couldn't get it to come together in the last few seconds and ended this frustrating season with rare unfilled tags.

Muzzy's are good heads.
Friend of mine, gets a lot of broadheads to try-out/review and currently trying/likes Slick Trick. He also likes Muzzy, Wasp and in G5 line, has used the Striker on a few animals

HawgEnvy
12-10-2011, 09:58 AM
IMO,Limbsavers work better than Bowjax,but either will work
Broadheads: i've tried several different fixed blades,2,3,and 4 blade. some are harder to tune than others. In my experience,the bow will let you know what BH it likes just as a gun will w ammo. My favorite head so far for flight,penetration,and damage is Slick Trick standards and Mags in 100gr. two of each reside in my quiver as I type. 2nd would be Muzzy. I also have a 3 blade 100gr in my quiver. penetration through shoulder is great,though I dont intentionally or reccommend deliberately trying to take out heavy bone. I've also shot Wasp 100gr 3 blade and they do a very good job. Equal to that of Muzzy and ST,though the blades seem to be thinner. Golden Key used to make a head called the deadhead that were awesome. I'd probably still shoot them if they were available. I've tried Thunderheads in 100 and 125gr and they plane to much for my liking. NAP Nitrons fly great,but use TINY screws to retain the blades. won't buy those again either.

I've only had 1 bow that would shoot a Magnus(yellow/black 6pk) worth a dang. I won't be shooting them again. Steelforce makes an excellent 2 blade head as well and also have a lifetime warrany.

For sheer strength and durabilty of the ones I've listed,I prefer Slick Tricks and Muzzy. the blades won't pull off the ferrell due to the way they lock together,and from my bow,they both have FP flight and accuracy. as was stated though,a well tuned bow is detrimental to the best broadhead flight. The best value for the $$$ goes to Muzzy. $28-30 for a 6pk is hard to beat.

Speedykills
12-10-2011, 10:41 AM
I just made the switch to g5 montecs and they fly just like field tips,shooting them out to 50yds.They are very sharp and kinda small so they dont plain like bigger heads do.They fit perfect in my martin quiver too.Oh and they are easy to re-sharpen.
I would go with limb saver's they seem to do a god job as any and are fairly cheap.

Chip
12-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Thank you all for your input,

Sorry had to go and shoot the bow a little just got back. To be honest I don't know a great deal about bow tuning, but my bow is shooting very well and the arrow flight looks straight and true to my naked eye. There again from 20 yards the arrow is in the target before I see much if any flight. I did get to shoot 30 yards today and could see the arrow a little better and it looked good to the naked eye. To be honest the thing is shooting scary good as long as I don't mess up. This is part of the reason for asking for advice on broadheads, as I really would like not to have to change anything on the bow. Once again thank you all and I do appreciate your advice and replies.

ElkSlayer
12-10-2011, 12:12 PM
your welcome... If you do need to change anything we are here to help always.:cool:

Simple Life
12-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I with HE on BH's,switched over to Slick Trick Mag's this year.No deer killed with them,but they will be on for spring bear next year;)

elkslayer4x5
12-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Thank you all for your input,

Sorry had to go and shoot the bow a little just got back. To be honest I don't know a great deal about bow tuning, but my bow is shooting very well and the arrow flight looks straight and true to my naked eye. There again from 20 yards the arrow is in the target before I see much if any flight. I did get to shoot 30 yards today and could see the arrow a little better and it looked good to the naked eye. To be honest the thing is shooting scary good as long as I don't mess up. This is part of the reason for asking for advice on broadheads, as I really would like not to have to change anything on the bow. Once again thank you all and I do appreciate your advice and replies.

I did'nt either when I 1st came here, not so now. Stick around, and you will. The guys here are wealth of archery knowledge, you've come the right site! :)

NuttyNative
12-10-2011, 03:11 PM
I just made the switch to g5 montecs and they fly just like field tips,shooting them out to 50yds.They are very sharp and kinda small so they dont plain like bigger heads do.They fit perfect in my martin quiver too.Oh and they are easy to re-sharpen.
I would go with limb saver's they seem to do a god job as any and are fairly cheap.

I tried the Montec ss and had drifting issues after 25 yards but one of my friends swears by them. I've also had good luck with Team Realtree 85gr Chiz-L tips I got at a Wal-Mart closeout for $2.50 a pack (I got 30 broadheads for $25, similar to muzzy's). Also, heres a link to the difference between limbsavers & bow-jacks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJsEtFtpF8c

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Hey NN, thanks for the link that was cool! I never did like bow jax. We had a customers bow in our shop that had them and it was loud. We changed the string and added the bow jax's back on the bow and it was still loud. Arrow Splitter (my son) took them off and added whiskers and it is still today one of the quietest bows we have had in the shop.

Hutch:cool:

NuttyNative
12-10-2011, 04:22 PM
I agree, I only use limbsavers & cat whishers. My Guardian is so quiet it gets compliments at every 3D shoot it's been at. Not bad for 292 fps.
My Oneida sounded like a 22 before I put all the silencers on it. It's still too loud for my liking but it's tolerable. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Money Man
12-10-2011, 07:25 PM
I am shooting the Wasp bullet 100 gr 3 blade. They were $35 for 6 and I have only shot one deer this year. I hit him in the spine and the one blade has a curve to it but it did not break. I recovered the broadhead as I was butchering the deer. It was in there pretty good. I was happy with the blood trail and as far as tuning them, I downloaded the Easton tuning guide and followed the steps to tune my broadheads to impact with my field points. I don't know that I started out with a well tuned bow, so it took a little bit to get the broadheads to hit with the field points, but once I made the adjustments I was pretty happy. I just started shooting bow last year and knew nothing about bows, and this was not an extremely difficult thing to do. I just probably took twice as long for me to do it than others who know a little bit more. Good luck.

Chip
12-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks folks,
Well I made a decision to start with the Muzzy 100 grains to see how they fly. I will give them a try next time I shoot outside. As for the limb saver, bowjax, and cat whiskers I have all three on the bow now. Whiskers on the string, limb saver s-coil stabilizer, and bowjax on the back side of the limbs. Just a quick snapshot of the set up.

elkslayer4x5
12-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Good choice, pretty hard to beat the price of a Muzzy six pack. :)

ElkSlayer
12-11-2011, 07:02 AM
look good Chip...let us know how you like the muzzy... spin test each one and you should be fine.

Speedykills
12-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Aww no G5......lol....looks good should be a deer killin machine.

Chip
12-12-2011, 02:44 AM
Aww no G5......lol....looks good should be a deer killin machine.

Funny you bring that up, I more than likely will give the Montecs a go as well. I like the fact that they are one piece high carbon steel. I can turn on one of the hunting channels sit down and sharpen them with the same stones I use for my knives. The reason I wanted to start with the Muzzy is that a few people seem to like them and as stated above it's hard to beat the price.

RLW
12-12-2011, 03:55 AM
To help with tuning knowledge........Easton Arrow Tuning and Maintenance Guide
http://www.eastonarchery.com/pdf/tuning_guide.pdf

Chip
12-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Thank you RLW, I have saved that good info.

B4L Okie
12-12-2011, 11:34 PM
The wasp bh (hammer 100) has done in many deer for me. But those g5 montecs are way more tougher. Way more $ though. Limbsavers are good but google x factor stabilizer. A fairly new product that may be the best yet. They have stabs, limb dampeners and string silencers that are guaranteed for life not to break.