PDA

View Full Version : One really happy chappy

darkember
12-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Was in my garage setting up my bow using the French tuning technique. I had built a target using a thick cardboard box filled with layers of cardboard all the way across. My box is 1 foot wide. I then decided to attatch a yellow pages to the front of the box just in case, as this tuning technique requires u to stand 3 yards from the target to start with. Well well damn happy the yellow pages were there:) Bow was only set to 53# and my DL is 25'' yet it was still clean passing the yellow pages as well as penetrating the box by another 6-8''

Haha well chuffed was not expecting that kind of power on those settings:D:D:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Woo hooo! doesn't it feel great! To have a bow that shoots like that! Congrats on joining the Martin team

Hutch:cool:

Speedykills
12-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Was in my garage setting up my bow using the French tuning technique. I had built a target using a thick cardboard box filled with layers of cardboard all the way across. My box is 1 foot wide. I then decided to attatch a yellow pages to the front of the box just in case, as this tuning technique requires u to stand 3 yards from the target to start with. Well well damn happy the yellow pages were there:) Bow was only set to 53# and my DL is 25'' yet it was still clean passing the yellow pages as well as penetrating the box by another 6-8''

Haha well chuffed was not expecting that kind of power on those settings:D:D:D

What bow is it!

darkember
12-10-2011, 10:41 AM
09 Moab Pro Hunter

Speedykills
12-10-2011, 10:44 AM
09 Moab Pro Hunter

You must have a thin yellow pages......ha J/K ya nothing like speed at low poundage......

darkember
12-10-2011, 10:46 AM
You must have a thin yellow pages......ha J/K ya nothing like speed at low poundage......

Average size 1000 pages

ElkSlayer
12-10-2011, 12:17 PM
congrats on the phone book kill...lol nice to have such power in a light draw weight... may want to rethink your target...stuff lose rags in fead sack, just remove buttons and zippers

polaris754
12-11-2011, 09:59 AM
just fer grins n giggles been useing Styrofoam coolers with all the stuffin in them[rags paper leather ect] , been werkin great , when it shoots out i switch out the guts and load up another , been cheaper then buyin new targets.:)

96xjclassic
12-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Don't be too impressed by the shooting, its only at 10 yards. I was sighting in.
This is what I have been using for a Target. I cut a piece of foam insulation from homedepot into 16"x16 squares and taped them together. I figure when I start getting pass thru's I will fill it with spray foam or add a few more layers of foam. It has already been hit with probably 150 arrows and it seems to be holding up well.

bowgramp59
12-11-2011, 12:58 PM
there is a pretty good bag target at academy sports for $24.95 it stops my 60#er until i shoot the center out.
it has 5 spots to shoot but i alwas want to shoot the center. what makes a feller do that?

MLN1963
12-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Don't be too impressed by the shooting, its only at 10 yards. I was sighting in.
This is what I have been using for a Target. I cut a piece of foam insulation from homedepot into 16"x16 squares and taped them together. I figure when I start getting pass thru's I will fill it with spray foam or add a few more layers of foam. It has already been hit with probably 150 arrows and it seems to be holding up well.

I have been trying to find the plain old white Styrofoam sheets to make a BH target. Is yours blue or white? Back home (MN) you can find it for $10 a 4'x8'x2" but I can't find any around Altus. All they have is the blue spendy stuff that is like $30 for 1/2" sheet.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I have been trying to find the plain old white Styrofoam sheets to make a BH target. Is yours blue or white? Back home (MN) you can find it for $10 a 4'x8'x2" but I can't find any around Altus. All they have is the blue spendy stuff that is like $30 for 1/2" sheet.MLN, go to the grocery store and ask them for the Styrofoam containers that the grapes come in. I get a few of them and cut some and stuff them in one of the others. Two together with duct tape wrapped around them and they cost only 2 dollars for the duct tape.

MLN1963
12-11-2011, 02:34 PM
MLN, go to the grocery store and ask them for the Styrofoam containers that the grapes come in. I get a few of them and cut some and stuff them in one of the others. Two together with duct tape wrapped around them and they cost only 2 dollars for the duct tape.

http://home.freeuk.com/jrknight/smileys/postpics.gif (http://home.freeuk.com/jrknight/smileys/postpics.gif)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-11-2011, 03:18 PM
http://home.freeuk.com/jrknight/smileys/postpics.gif (http://home.freeuk.com/jrknight/smileys/postpics.gif)Some people are just HIGH MAINTENANCE. 519151925193
Just fill them with other grape containers.
Duct tape 2 of them together
When they are toast build more.:p

Hutch :cool:

ElkSlayer
12-11-2011, 04:15 PM
good ideas there guys ..

@ bowgramp59 its the subconscious fear of missing... Just how it is , takes some practice and forcing your self to shoot the outer spots..:cool::cool:

Money Man
12-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Just fill them with red grapes for splatter effect.
Duct tape 2 of them together
When they are toast build more.:p

Hutch :cool:

Nice idea Hutch. Any pics of that:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Nice idea Hutch. Any pics of that:DHa ha! MM. How about deer guts for the total effect:rolleyes::p

Speedykills
12-12-2011, 03:04 AM
Looks good but i dont think that would last long for me.

MLN1963
12-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks Hutch. That looks kinda thin, I'm surprised you aren't having pass-thrus with BHs?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-12-2011, 11:23 AM
MLN, I fill 2 of them with the foam and duct tape them together. That makes them double thick. With 30 shots into them I didn't have any pass tru's. The broad head sticks out the back 3" or less. If you were concerned use 3. We used 2 filled with foam and broadhead tuned 3 bows with no problems.

MLN1963
12-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks Bill. I'll have to see if WM is willing to part with some of those. At lot of things are recycled and they won't turn loose of them.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks Bill. I'll have to see if WM is willing to part with some of those. At lot of things are recycled and they won't turn loose of them.You can also check with the produce dept they have heavier ones for other fruits and vegetables. I use them because its free and works well. I tested mine with a field tip in front of a target. 3 would be perfect. The white Styrofoam is expensive here that is why I look for alternatives. Just in case you are concerned of a pass tru. You can use an old car mat on the back that would assure no pass thru.

96xjclassic
12-12-2011, 02:46 PM
I have been trying to find the plain old white Styrofoam sheets to make a BH target. Is yours blue or white? Back home (MN) you can find it for $10 a 4'x8'x2" but I can't find any around Altus. All they have is the blue spendy stuff that is like $30 for 1/2" sheet.

Actually mine is yellow inside, silvery reflective on one side and blue on the otherside. I believe it is 1-1/2" thick. It's from home depot. I believe an 8'x4' sheet is around 20 dollars. I think I could make 2 16"x16x9" targets with one sheet.
However, I've been looking around on Craigslist and just got a local source on white styrofoam blocks locally for free! Just look in the free section in your location. Someone might offer something similiar.