PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Limb Question.

Coyotehunter11
12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
What limbs are on the martin bows from 2010? Are they barnsdale limbs? Thanks alot.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-10-2011, 03:13 PM
What is the deflection code on the limb side?

Hutch:cool:

Coyotehunter11
12-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Im not exactly sure what the deflection code is. All i can see is 1M and the date it was made which was 12/09.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-10-2011, 03:31 PM
That is the deflection code. And that would be a regular limb. Built in 09 but it is a 2010 limb and it is not a barnsdale.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Here is archerx7's answer for how to tell
"Yep, short of sanding the finish off the side of the limbs, the only way to tell the difference is by the deflection numbers. The Barnsdales will have something like a 115, 135, 155 while the PowerTuffs will be something like a 3HP, 3MP, 3LP, 4HP, 4MP, 4LP, etc...... "

Coyotehunter11
12-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Ok thanks alot hutch. But is there really a difference between these two limbs?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Major diff. Barnsdale have a very good reputation for dependability

Speedykills
12-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Well dont martin's.............:confused:

MLN1963
12-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Well dont martin's.............:confused:

The new Power Tough limbs do. I think Hutch was talking about the 08-10 limbs.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-11-2011, 03:29 AM
The new Power Tough limbs do. I think Hutch was talking about the 08-10 limbs.That is right MLN and Speedy from 2010 back they are not as good as 2011 up. Basically the powertuff limbs so far have a good rep.

bowgramp59
12-11-2011, 05:39 AM
i agree with hutch the barnesdale limbs are very dependable, but i have been shooting martins for along time without any problems with limbs. i would be very courious to know just how many limbs are damaged from inproper pressing and dry fires and the bow company's takes the blame ? [just my opinion] a lot of things can happen while working on or tinkering with archery equipment .

Speedykills
12-11-2011, 09:14 AM
i agree with hutch the barnesdale limbs are very dependable, but i have been shooting martins for along time without any problems with limbs. i would be very courious to know just how many limbs are damaged from inproper pressing and dry fires and the bow company's takes the blame ? [just my opinion] a lot of things can happen while working on or tinkering with archery equipment .

Thats a very good question to bad it cant be detected how limbs failed.

polaris754
12-11-2011, 09:47 AM
yep i have to agree with bowgramps,my limbs failed on my old bow after it was pressed ,also a`rack bought bow failed 3 months after purchase .i have my strong suspicion it was dry fired.i do believe pilot error is a strong factor on limb failure.martins r good bows , every bow out here has some sort of issue with this or that breaking ,weather its a limb , riser or what ever,i can never say a product cant have a problem or two,but martins cs is great.:)

Coyotehunter11
12-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Since my limbs are powertuff limbs from December of 09, is there a high possibility that i will run into some problems with them?

Coyotehunter11
12-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Oh and while im at it i might as well ask another question lol. I have read before that if you have 50 pound limbs then the bow actually peaks out around 52-53 pounds. Is this true?

MLN1963
12-11-2011, 03:19 PM
AFAIK the Powertuff limbs weren't on production bows until 2011. What makes you think you have PT limbs on your 09? If they were replaced by Martin after the PT line was released then you should have no worries. Even if you have other than PT limbs I wouldn't worry, they may be just fine, not every set had problems. If something happens I'm confident that Martin will take care of you.

Speedykills
12-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Here is archerx7's answer for how to tell
"Yep, short of sanding the finish off the side of the limbs, the only way to tell the difference is by the deflection numbers. The Barnsdales will have something like a 115, 135, 155 while the PowerTuffs will be something like a 3HP, 3MP, 3LP, 4HP, 4MP, 4LP, etc...... "

Thats good to know,mine say 136 on them,so looks like i have barnsdale limbs.

gravedigger
12-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Oh and while im at it i might as well ask another question lol. I have read before that if you have 50 pound limbs then the bow actually peaks out around 52-53 pounds. Is this true?

that could very well hold true,but not just for 50.i think there is a weight variance in limbs.i could be 1 to 3 over or under.a bow that is in its tuned then put on a draw scale is the best way to tell if you have that extra umph.

elkslayer4x5
12-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Since my limbs are powertuff limbs from December of 09, is there a high possibility that i will run into some problems with them?

Your limbs could be Powertuffs, since they are from Dec of 09.

bfisher
12-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Your limbs could be Powertuffs, since they are from Dec of 09.

There's an easy way to find out. Check the deflection code near the butt of the limb. There should be a number/letter designation, such as 3M. If the last letter is a "P" then these would be Powertuff limbs. You're looking for something like 3MP.

bowgramp59
12-20-2011, 10:00 AM

not nessarally [imo ] the strings and cables are the contribiting factor , to many twist or not enough will alter the draw wt. one way or another. but not always ! usually when i make a set of strings and stretch them at 300 lbs. over night & make my final twist at 90-100 lbs and get them to factory specks the bows draw wt.,
ata , brace ht are almost always on the money. But i have this 2010 rytera alien x when i do everthing just right with the strings & cables and tighten the limb bolts down all the way i get 65 lbs on a 60 lb. bow with the ata, brace ht. right, it has to be the limbs, they must be a little stiffer than normal. which it's ok with me
does not affect the performance of the bow, i just back it off to where i can pull it back & shoot it .

bowgramp59
12-20-2011, 06:15 PM
i'm going to reply to my own reply with a question. i always thought the alien xs came in 35/50 45/60 & 55/70 my question is do they offer a 65 lb.bow ?

MLN1963
12-20-2011, 06:59 PM
When the limbs are made and sometimes they fall between the standards, but why throw them out? I understand that you can get the "5s" IE 55, 65, if you special order them. Also they occasionally have enough "5s" in stock that they will send them out to dealers that way. This is what I was told, I have no proof.

bfisher
12-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Curtis,

It's not uncommon for bows to draw a little more than stated. As with the rest of the specs draw weight has some tolerance, too. A couple pounds over or under is within allowable tolerances, but oh my, god forgive them if a 60# bow only makes 58# or 59#. People get so upset over trivial matters. Production models do come in the stated draw weights you list; 35-50, 45-60 and 55-70, but yes it is possible to order a 50# to 65# bow. I have ordered a few in the 40# to 55# range myself.

As you said, if it's a little on the heavy side just back off the limb bolts. In the long run you're probably looking at better longevity for the limbs so it could be a plus.

bowgramp59
12-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Curtis,

It's not uncommon for bows to draw a little more than stated. As with the rest of the specs draw weight has some tolerance, too. A couple pounds over or under is within allowable tolerances, but oh my, god forgive them if a 60# bow only makes 58# or 59#. People get so upset over trivial matters. Production models do come in the stated draw weights you list; 35-50, 45-60 and 55-70, but yes it is possible to order a 50# to 65# bow. I have ordered a few in the 40# to 55# range myself.

As you said, if it's a little on the heavy side just back off the limb bolts. In the long run you're probably looking at better longevity for the limbs so it could be a plus.

thanks barry , maybe they sent me a 65lb. bow! wish i was capeable of shooting a 65 #er, prouble would stay with 55 or 60 . speed dosen't excite me that much but comfort on the old shoulders does , a persons shoulreds will last them a lot longr if they stay away from that 70 lb. + range .

bfisher
12-22-2011, 02:45 PM
If your main concern is your shoulders there is some adjusting you can do. Add about 10 twists to the string and take about 5 out of the
cable(s). This will shorten the draw length and reduce the draw weight range. At the same time it advances the cam and should make it feel even smoother drawing than it is now. It should also reduce the letoff a bit so there isn't such a hard dropoff into the valley. If by chance the draw length is too short for your liking you can try the next larger module. And don't forget the draw stop adjustment.

Bear in mind that this might not work and you'll have to return the bow to it's original specs, but it's worth a try. Just record everything before you start. Once I have a bow set up for me I always draw a line on the left side of the cam where it passes through the limb fork. Also draw a circle around the base of the draw stop.