PDA

View Full Version : What string type comes with a 2007 Martin Pantera?

J-Man
10-10-2007, 02:18 AM
When looking at various arrow selection tools on the web, I often see a question relating to string type, with common choices being "dacron" or "fast flight".

The difference seems impact the adjusted draw weight significantly.

So I have a 2007 Pantera - what is the factory installed string made of, and what option should I select on these charts?

dgmeadows
10-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Dacron was one of the earliest synthetic bow string materials, still used on some recurve and longbow applications. Fast Flight was the higher -tech material that came along and was the first synthetic harness material (as opposed to steel cables.) It has much higher strand strength and lower stretch than Dacron. There have been many advancements in string material since Fast Flight hit the market, with even higher strength ratios and true zero stretch materials.

Long story short, the arrow manufacturers haven't updated their charts and selection programs. In reality, it would be very hard to do, because each string material has slightly different properties - some have zero stretch, but is a little slower than another material that does stretch a little, etc.

Your new Martin string is likely made of a BCY 8125 type string, touted as very low to no stretch.

Call it Fast Flight for the purposes of those software programs and checkboxes.

J-Man
10-11-2007, 01:39 AM
Thanks very much for the explanation :D