PDA

View Full Version : hey guys

jeff m
12-12-2011, 03:20 PM
hey guys im putting a new string on my sons martin exile can someone tell me how..... like how mant twist i put in it and all that other good stuff

gravedigger
12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
streaching and measureing the string to make sure it is the proper length would be a good start,if ya cant do that then install it and check the specs.ata,brace,ect. after install. befor you even rip that bow apart....take good pics of the cam and idler wheel so you know how to put the string and cable back on.

did you allready take the bow apart?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the forum Jeff m, as GD already said. Take pics of the routing of the string and where everything goes. Once you put the new string and cable on. Check the ata and brace height to see if it is at specs. Check the top limb for idler lean. If you have lean, twist the yoke on the side that is not in spec with the ata. Once you have all the specs proper. Then draw the bow back and check the lean at full draw. Adjust accordingly

Hutch :cool:

MLN1963
12-12-2011, 06:12 PM
I pull mine taught looped over two short pieces of arrow that are very close to 1/4" in diameter. I have one end and my kid has the other. I measure length and twist or untwist to get to Martin's specs and then install. So far that has left me with very little tweaking to do.

bfisher
12-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Nothing to add except a hearty welcome to the Tech Forums, Jeff.

ElkSlayer
12-13-2011, 06:25 AM
ditto that welcome along with Pictures.... it is sooooo much easer with Pictures....even if you think Awe it easy. just run threw there loop over that huh what wait....

I have restrung a few bows and always take lots of pictures even the simple ones like a cable slide....do you know what one is on top... not when tring to put it back together...

elkslayer4x5
12-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Welcme X 3. :)

coolsam402
12-14-2011, 04:07 PM
i just looked to copy and past the specs for heim and the 2011 specs got erased by the 2012 does any one know them.

Also would he need to use a bow press.

and when he measures the string from what to what would he measure.

elkslayer4x5
12-14-2011, 05:00 PM
QUOTE=coolsam402;78442]i just looked to copy and past the specs for heim and the 2011 specs got erased by the 2012 does any one know them.

and when he measures the string from what to what would he measure.[/QUOTE]

End to end A bow press is not required to remove or replace the string on a Martin. Back out the limb bolts a few turns at a time, top and bottom. Continue until you can see the end of the limb bolt in the barrel nut ( the round nut inside the riser ) a turn or two more will allow you to slip the string off the cam or idler. Reverse the procedure to restring.

coolsam402
12-14-2011, 07:09 PM
QUOTE=coolsam402;78442]i just looked to copy and past the specs for heim and the 2011 specs got erased by the 2012 does any one know them.

and when he measures the string from what to what would he measure.

End to end A bow press is not required to remove or replace the string on a Martin. Back out the limb bolts a few turns at a time, top and bottom. Continue until you can see the end of the limb bolt in the barrel nut ( the round nut inside the riser ) a turn or two more will allow you to slip the string off the cam or idler. Reverse the procedure to restring.[/QUOTE]

im thinking about doing this i need to replace my string.... so is this the same for the cable

gravedigger
12-14-2011, 07:58 PM
End to end A bow press is not required to remove or replace the string on a Martin. Back out the limb bolts a few turns at a time, top and bottom. Continue until you can see the end of the limb bolt in the barrel nut ( the round nut inside the riser ) a turn or two more will allow you to slip the string off the cam or idler. Reverse the procedure to restring.

im thinking about doing this i need to replace my string.... so is this the same for the cable[/QUOTE]

if yoy have slack in the string then you have slack in the cable.no bow press is needed at all what soever.