PDA

View Full Version : Knife building

HawgEnvy
12-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Do any of ya build knives? I think I'm gonna give it a try. looks interesting. I was out with a flashlight a few minutes ago looking through my scrap pile. OH yeah! lotsa supplies out there! I think i'll start one tomorrow. If it turns out good,it will make a special Christmas gift for my daddy. guess it depends what I build first. I'm all about overkill when I get to building things and I've always wanted a heavy beast of a machette.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-16-2011, 05:41 PM
I have thought of it. But too busy right now. I heard a lot of guys use lawn mower blades. Because of the high carbon steel.

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
12-16-2011, 06:50 PM
I have thought of it. But too busy right now. I heard a lot of guys use lawn mower blades. Because of the high carbon steel.

i have 4 or 5 sets of 3 blades off my work mower.good idea.a grinder and a few wheels and i bet a guy could fab one up in a day...........dang it bill i think you found a way for me to wast time at work:p

hawg now you got the ol hamster moveing

Money Man
12-16-2011, 07:29 PM
i have 4 or 5 sets of 3 blades off my work mower.good idea.a grinder and a few wheels and i bet a guy could fab one up in a day...........dang it bill i think you found a way for me to wast time at work:p

hawg now you got the ol hamster moveing

Or start selling them and finance that new bow. My uncle made one for me years ago and used an elk antler for the handle and made a nice brass butt plate with his initials in it. I'll have to find the camera and post a picture. He hated using the elk antler as the smell was pretty bad drilling the hole in it.

Sharxfan
12-16-2011, 08:29 PM
If you can find a good one the old two man saw blades work really well for blades.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Table saw blades are good as well!

elkslayer4x5
12-17-2011, 05:05 AM
Wear a mask while drilling antlers, or any other bone. Drilling slower also helps with the odor.

gravedigger
12-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Or start selling them and finance that new bow. My uncle made one for me years ago and used an elk antler for the handle and made a nice brass butt plate with his initials in it. I'll have to find the camera and post a picture. He hated using the elk antler as the smell was pretty bad drilling the hole in it.

i never thought a guy could resale old mower blades,i allway gave them away for scrap.they are 18" and 3 to a set,70.00for 3 new.might just have to start saveing more of them.

HawgEnvy
12-17-2011, 07:28 AM
y'all think 1x4"x2" flat stock would be a good start? I decided to do this to late. I woke up to all this cold,wet,white stuff. sittin on couch w the 'puter n a pot of coffee is more appealing. wish i had a garage to work in. I've got a couple old brush hog blades,too.

ElkSlayer
12-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Hot or cold rolled steel will not hold an edge and just is too soft... tool steel is what you need, 440 stainless is a good knife blade stock... any old files laying around a basterd file works well..Guy around here makes them in all sizes..

NeilMac
12-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Most knifemakers use belt sanders to shape the blade.

You might find this link useful: http://www.engnath.com/intable.htm

alex
12-19-2011, 12:33 AM
I've made some knives recently. For some i've used parts of hatchets (turned into tomahawks), for others i bought ready blades and made wood and bone handles. I'm a fan of the Scandi knives (now) and you can find excellent blades at good price for which to make handles as you like them :) I can make some pictures if anybody is interested.

MLN1963
12-19-2011, 04:31 AM
:) I can make some pictures if anybody is interested. That was a silly question! Of course post pics!

HawgEnvy
12-19-2011, 04:56 AM
That was a silly question! Of course post pics!

no kiddin'! you should never have to ask that,Alex.

Spiker
12-19-2011, 05:05 AM
A bit off topic but, when I was in 7th grade one of the projects in our shop class was to build knives.
We used old 2-man saw blades and belt sanders to shape.
Shows how much times have changed. Can you imagine a school now that would teach 12-13 year olds how to make their own knife?

Arrow Splitter
12-19-2011, 05:44 AM
Hot or cold rolled steel will not hold an edge and just is too soft... tool steel is what you need, 440 stainless is a good knife blade stock... any old files laying around a basterd file works well..Guy around here makes them in all sizes..Definitely x2.

alex
12-19-2011, 05:46 AM
A bit off topic but, when I was in 7th grade one of the projects in our shop class was to build knives.
We used old 2-man saw blades and belt sanders to shape.
Shows how much times have changed. Can you imagine a school now that would teach 12-13 year olds how to make their own knife?

I imagine them teaching the kids how to paint their shirts pink ;)
By the way another cheap source for steel would be old machine-hacksaw blades (hope you understand me, i don't know the proper Eng name).

Arrow Splitter
12-19-2011, 05:50 AM
I imagine them teaching the kids how to paint their shirts pink ;)
By the way another cheap source for steel would be old machine-hacksaw blades (hope you understand me, i don't know the proper Eng name).Are you talking about a bandsaw blade?

MLN1963
12-19-2011, 05:51 AM
I remember some old timers making knives out of truck leaf springs. I don't know what exactly leaf springs are made out of (yes spring steel!) buy they seemed to make a lot of them. Is spring steel close to tool steel?

I don't mind a knife that needs to be sharpened occasionally. I despise a knife that is a PITA to sharpen. I have had a couple in the past that were so hard to sharpen that I gave them away.

alex
12-19-2011, 05:55 AM
no kiddin'! you should never have to ask that,Alex.

:D OK, i'll make some photos and try to upload them as soon as possible. For now i'll give a link to a video (the newer knives look much better then the one in the video i think):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ioK4T0_7U
Here's another one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siI-rVR5pRU

alex
12-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Are you talking about a bandsaw blade?

No, these are mechanical hacksaws - as far as i remember they look like a regular hacksaw mounted on a machine, but the blade is thicker and longer.

Arrow Splitter
12-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Is spring steel close to tool steel?

No. Here's the definition from Wikipedia: Spring steel is a low alloy, medium carbon steel or high carbon steel with a very high yield strength. This allows objects made of spring steel to return to their original shape despite significant bending or twisting.

Knife blades need to be made out of Martensitic type steel(a hard steel), which is the same type of steel ES was talking about. This type of steel can be heat-treated, which makes a good blade.

96xjclassic
12-19-2011, 07:23 AM
A.s. just looking at your signature gives me a headache!

HawgEnvy
12-19-2011, 10:58 AM
alright,here's the start. found an old file and started grinding and shaping w my angle grinder. took about an hour to get it this far. The handle fits my hand pretty good as far as the curves go. The blade may change shape/size as I go. This is a first for me,but so far I like the feel of it. The weight seems to be real nice and seems to be well balanced. It hit point first from 5ft when I threw it at my cat. LOL.J/K...?

Arrow Splitter
12-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Not bad at all Hawg... well, except the cat part.LOL A file is definitely hard enough. You probably already know this, but a file is also brittle, so I don't suggest dropping or banging it.:eek:

Arrow Splitter
12-19-2011, 04:34 PM
A.s. just looking at your signature gives me a headache!LOL That's not even some of the hard stuff.:eek: I'm glad that class is over.:cool:

96xjclassic
12-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Lookin good hawg. Put any thought into your handle yet?

alex
12-19-2011, 11:09 PM
So far so good, Hawg! The hard part will be the heat treating :( That's why i prefer to buy ready blades or reshape old ones. Just don't have the equipment to forge/heat the blade. By the way you'll have to drill somehow the handle before the heat treating- i think laser or water-jet cutting will do the job easy.

HawgEnvy
12-20-2011, 06:27 AM
I'm going to use oak for the handle. I can fet a 1/4"x2"x12"L chunk at Menards for less than $5. The drilling part I can do w the neighbors drillpress. So far,I can't find anyone w a belt sander to get the blade all pretty. I found a couple tutorials on another sight for the heat treating and am confident I can do that. Still searching for a belt sander at the moment. Definately don't know anyone w a waterjet. LOL

ElkSlayer
12-20-2011, 06:27 AM
see there ya go...got a good start on it.. Just watch the heat build up when grinding...do not quench in water...air cool only. water jet will do it all drill holes, shape blade , handle all but taper to knife edge.... and yes no using this knife as a prybar when its done....

HawgEnvy
12-20-2011, 12:02 PM
see there ya go...got a good start on it.. Just watch the heat build up when grinding...do not quench in water...air cool only. water jet will do it all drill holes, shape blade , handle all but taper to knife edge.... and yes no using this knife as a prybar when its done....

I'm having second thoughts about finishing this one. It's to long to be comfortably used as a hunter. and if I cant use it to pry with...what good is a knife that can't be used as aprybar,hammer,screwdriver and hatchet? I think I'll just keep tossin it at cats and kittens and get the proper materials. I want my first to look good

ElkSlayer
12-20-2011, 01:03 PM
its not that brittle...lol keep messin with it till you get your self some good steel. it will help you build a better knife in the long run. seen a lot of em made the same way you are.. if nothing else you'll have a cooler item to toss at the cat...lol

besides In over 25 years in a machine shop ..never seen a guy break a file..and trust me plenty of them, use them wrong

Arrow Splitter
12-20-2011, 01:50 PM
its not that brittle...lol keep messin with it till you get your self some good steel. it will help you build a better knife in the long run. seen a lot of em made the same way you are.. if nothing else you'll have a cooler item to toss at the cat...lol

besides In over 25 years in a machine shop ..never seen a guy break a file..and trust me plenty of them, use them wrongHmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you used a file as a hammer.LOL Speaking of breaking things, someone broke the handle to one of our milling machines at the college.:eek:

gravedigger
12-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Hmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you used a file as a hammer.LOL Speaking of breaking things, someone broke the handle to one of our milling machines at the college.:eek:

i will go and try to hammer a nail with a file right now and let you know how it goes.safty glasses will be on;)

gravedigger
12-20-2011, 01:56 PM
so nothing happend.i used a 16 penny nail and then 2 i hammerd a 2 inch wood scrwe and a 3 inch wood screw,not even really a mark on the file.but a bit of vibration going through my hand.lol

HawgEnvy
12-20-2011, 02:16 PM
so what can I use instead of a belt sander? maybe one of those flap discs for the grinder? Hmmm. and what,exactly, IS the proper way to use a file. Believe it or not,I've never had a reason to use on. I've always just used my angle grinder. For everything. Even to change a heater core. Most useful tool I've got. It was love at first grind(that's what SHE said,lol);)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Same here Hawg, I have a 7-1/4" angle grinder that can cut a car in half. I also have a 4" for all the other projects.

Arrow Splitter
12-20-2011, 02:29 PM
so nothing happend.i used a 16 penny nail and then 2 i hammerd a 2 inch wood scrwe and a 3 inch wood screw,not even really a mark on the file.but a bit of vibration going through my hand.lolYeah, as ES had mentioned files aren't too brittle. I'm not surprised that the file wasn't marked up because that's just how hard they are.

ElkSlayer
12-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Hmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you used a file as a hammer.LOL Speaking of breaking things, someone broke the handle to one of our milling machines at the college.:eek:

See their every where... do we even want to know how ?

So digger how did that feal...ROTFLMAO real am wish i could have see your face 1st wack

As for proper use ...well they only cut on the foward stroke ! no matter how may times you rub it back in forth....lol that just dulls it and wears you out

gravedigger
12-20-2011, 06:58 PM

So digger how did that feal...ROTFLMAO real am wish i could have see your face 1st wack As for proper use ...well they only cut on the foward stroke ! no matter how may times you rub it back in forth....lol that just dulls it and wears you out

i will tell ya i had my head back,teeth clenched and was very releavedwhen it did not break.i hit that nail hard.it did get it through my work bench.that and 2 screws.i just wanted to see if i could hammer the screws.lol

alex
12-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Files are very hard, it's absolutely no problem to use them as a hammer ... for nails. Making a marble statue would be a problem :D
Hawg, if you can't find a belt sander you can use your angle grinder or a benchgrinder, but the result won't look as good as if you use the proper tool. I'm not very used to the angle so i work with a benchgrinder mostly. Just be careful with the heat as it was already mentioned. And don't leave the file project, i've found some videos in YouTube of a Polish guy making awesome knives from files. Will give a link later.

alex
12-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wim9QxGozA

Arrow Splitter
12-21-2011, 12:12 PM

I don't want to know.LOL My professor found it on his desk.:rolleyes: Someone was probably using it as a hammer.LOL:D

elkslayer4x5
12-22-2011, 05:14 AM
I don't want to know.LOL My professor found it on his desk.:rolleyes: Someone was probably using it as a hammer.LOL:D

The professor most likely wants to know what the heck happened. Someone needs a grade adjustment! Just sayin.

Arrow Splitter
12-22-2011, 05:19 AM
The professor most likely wants to know what the heck happened. Someone needs a grade adjustment! Just sayin.I think it must have been weak, so when cranking on it normally, the handle broke. Of course, even that is abnormal.

HawgEnvy
12-22-2011, 06:58 AM
well, I decided to finish the project. I'm to obsessed with it now. If I start something,I have to finish it the best I can. So,since I wasn't to crazy about the original look,I drew out a different shape and I like it alot better. I'm going to get a flap disc or two today and at least 1 good file and possibly the wood for the handle. Is there any particular type of file that I need or are they all pretty much the same? here's a pic showing the new lines. It'll be shorter OAL to make it more practical for skinning/gutting.

Arrow Splitter
12-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you're going to want a fine file. The other type of file is a coarse file.

By the way, nice job Hawg.

A.S

gravedigger
12-22-2011, 10:17 AM
well, I decided to finish the project. I'm to obsessed with it now. If I start something,I have to finish it the best I can. So,since I wasn't to crazy about the original look,I drew out a different shape and I like it alot better. I'm going to get a flap disc or two today and at least 1 good file and possibly the wood for the handle. Is there any particular type of file that I need or are they all pretty much the same? here's a pic showing the new lines. It'll be shorter OAL to make it more practical for skinning/gutting.

looking good budy.im really likeing the file knife.

HawgEnvy
12-22-2011, 11:45 AM
just finished this part up. I used a cut off wheel and lite pressure to remove the excess material. By lite pressure,I mean let the grinder do the work. That way it avoids excessive heat build up. Anyone that's used a grinder or done any metal work will know,the metal starts to discolor if too much pressure is used.

After reshaping the knife,I usedthe grinding wheel to get the curves shaped. Once again,lite pressure and keep the grinding wheel moving in a fluid motion to avoid excessive heat build up. once that was done, I switched to the flap discs. I paid $6 for a 5pk of flap discs(40,60,80,100,120 grit). Since the majority of the material removal was already done,I started with the 80grit to get all the marks from the grinding wheel out. Then 100 to get the marks from the 80 grit out,then 120 for a pretty smooth finish. I'm cutting alot of corners compared to some of the tutorials I've read and watched on Youtube. The biggest reason being that I don't have access to some of the tools. Which,I'm finding out that they really aren't necessary given my metal working experience through the years. I can be quite the artist with a welder,a grinder,and some scrap steel. lol. My first choice when doing any project is to have the proper tools for the job. But that's not always an option,as in this case.

I'm researching this project as I go,and I need to find info about the hardening process. Since I'm already using hardened steel(an old file),do I even need to do the hardening process? How do I get a 20* angle for a good,sharp edge? As52655266 always,thoughts,opinions and any info is welcome.

elkslayer4x5
12-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Looks really good so far, though I might make the point a bit rounder, as it will aid in skinning. :)

ElkSlayer
12-23-2011, 07:45 AM
mabe your going to need to make a jig hold that blade at a 10* angle and then just flip it over to do other side... as per tempering yea not going to need that prety sure your ok there..

gravedigger
12-23-2011, 08:52 AM
if you really want to temper it then heat it up really hot and drop it in a bucket of old motor oil,not recomended but if you do watch out for the flame:eek:

alex
12-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Here are the pictures of my last knives. The quality of the photos isn't very good, but i had no time to take better ones.

Knifeman
05-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Though I see this thread has been stagnant for a few months, I have made knives for over 17 years and will be glad to answer any questions.