PDA

View Full Version : Portable Bow Press?

parttimr
12-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Just wondering if anyone ever tried the bowmaster portable press. I ordered one on sale and free shipping for $39.99 and thought that a pretty good price. I know with our Martins you can back the limb bolts off but getting tired of doing that and running the bolts in and out so much fighting this left kick issue. Need to re-serve the peep also so just thought it would make things a bit less time consuming. thanks.

elkslayer4x5
12-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Yep, I bought one before I knew that I could back my Slayer off and change strings. Went bear hunting a few years ago and while crossing a waterbar on an old logging road on my mountain bike, I foolishly put my left pedal down, pedal hit high side of water bar, and dumped me off, had to let go of the bike, and of course it landed on my Nitrous cam, and derailed it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/DSCN1656.jpg

Down the mountain was a small camp that had a picnic table that I tried to use to compress the limbs enough to restring, No good. So now this little bag is always in my hunting pack while I'm bowhunting. Great tool. You won't be disapointed. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/DSCN1658.jpg

parttimr
12-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks that's good to hear, just didn't want to keep turning the bolts so much. Thinking I may have to put a twist in the string as well for the peep but hope not. Just need to build me a little holder to set the bow in.

ElkSlayer
12-17-2011, 08:53 AM
you wont be sorry you orderd it.. handy tool and works well. you will regreat taking it out of the package, never goes back in the same, your going to need one of our bags:cool:lol ;) ;) its the easest way to store it beside take it along as 4x5 said.. always have them in our camps..one never knows when its needed.

elkslayer4x5
12-17-2011, 09:04 AM
I have two goto bow holders that i use all the time, one is a plastic chair that my slayer just happens to set nicely on,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Bow/DSCN0856.jpg

and the other is the table that came with the chairs, has a hole in the center for an umbrella, works great for the bolt to run thru while cranking on the bowmaster.

parttimr
12-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Well you guys were right that was the best $39 spent on archery for me. Used it tonight to put a twist in the string and reset my dropaway and worked like a charm versus backing limb bolts constantly. Thumbs up for this gadget!!

boobowbender
01-01-2012, 05:22 PM
any special precautions need to be made to prevent limb damage?

parttimr
01-01-2012, 05:34 PM
@ bowbender there ar two small pieces of leather that come with it to put between the ends and your limbs but they do have rubber pieces on there already as well. Used it twice now with just the rubber pieces and no problems to the finish. Product works great.

boobowbender
01-01-2012, 06:13 PM
@ bowbender there ar two small pieces of leather that come with it to put between the ends and your limbs but they do have rubber pieces on there already as well. Used it twice now with just the rubber pieces and no problems to the finish. Product works great.

not concerned about the finish, there is talk about pressing parallel bows properly and causing limb failure if not done right. some say apple presses are not meant to press parallel bows and that you have to have a $900 x press

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-02-2012, 01:16 AM
not concerned about the finish, there is talk about pressing parallel bows properly and causing limb failure if not done right. some say apple presses are not meant to press parallel bows and that you have to have a $900 x pressLeverage is the concern and where you apply it.
Apple presses have adapters that they sell for parallel bows now. The old apple press use to start pushing the bow from the middle of the limb causing unnecessary force. The portable bow press collapses the limbs from the ends not the middle like the old Apple presses do. X-presses or finger presses like the ez-press push only from the end of the bow limbs acting as if they drew the bow by its string. Same thing with the portable press.

Hutch:cool:

bfisher
01-02-2012, 04:33 AM
Leverage is the concern and where you apply it.
Apple presses have adapters that they sell for parallel bows now. The old apple press use to start pushing the bow from the middle of the limb causing unnecessary force. The portable bow press collapses the limbs from the ends not the middle like the old Apple presses do. X-presses or finger presses like the ez-press push only from the end of the bow limbs acting as if they drew the bow by its string. Same thing with the portable press.

Good explanation Hutch. This iea of pressing near the ends of the limbs has become more important as limbs have become shorter. I just wonder how any press made can handle some of these past-parallel limbed bows. It seems a bit scary to even think about. Thank goodness Martin hasn't gone crazy with the concept.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-02-2012, 04:52 AM
Good explanation Hutch. This iea of pressing near the ends of the limbs has become more important as limbs have become shorter. I just wonder how any press made can handle some of these past-parallel limbed bows. It seems a bit scary to even think about. Thank goodness Martin hasn't gone crazy with the concept.Well Barry, on the past parallel limbs I found that they are using 2 adjustable posts that can be moved under the riser, so the riser can not move. That way when the fingers push on the limbs the riser can't pop out of the press.

parttimr
01-02-2012, 05:45 AM
@ Hutch thanks for the help explaining this. As I said I have used it twice so far without any problems, beat sthe heck out of loosening and tightening the bolts constantly when tinkering. Did my research and other Martin shooters use it so felt it was a good buy.

boobowbender
01-02-2012, 08:49 AM
all i heard was talk about the right and wrong way, never actually heard the cause of the problem. appreciate knowing why people were have problems. i might go buy a bowmaster now too

bfisher
01-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the explanation Hutch.

To the other guys, I m on my second Bowmaster. The first one would not adapt to the shorter bows so being the idiot I am I just tied a knot toward one end of the cable. This worked for a while, but I figured a kink like that would let go at some point so got me a newer one. At the same time I got the old style split-limb adaptors as I was shooting split limb bows at the time (Pearson).

Don't let anybody kid you. The Bowmaster isn't the cat's meow when it comes to bow presses, but it beats dropping several hundred bucks for a good one that won't really see enough action to pay for itself. It can be a little slow and hard to crank down but it's about as portable as you'll find. I carry mine in one pouch of my bow case and use it quite often on my bows and others'. For what it costs you'll eventually save that much in gas ($40-50) taking the bow to the shop and learn how to work on your own bow (big dividends) and you can do so on your time schedule. About the only real thing I don't like is that when cranking it down the cable will rub against a cable rod and/or STS rod. I found that just sticking a piece of electrical tape along the side of the rod keeps it protected. Just pull it off when you're done. One other plus is that because it pulls the limbs together near the ends there is no pressure on the riser so there is virtually no way to twist a riser.

Just know that it isn't going to work on most bows with past parallel limbs so live with that thought. There are several others on the market and they're all worth a look-see, but I don't think there are any others that you could stuff into your hip pocket like this one. I got mine for $37 a while back and have to admit it's probably the least wasted $37 I've ever spent on archery gear.

boobowbender
01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
so i'm assuming matthews z7(sorry i know) is a past parallel, what about any of martins line up?

bfisher
01-04-2012, 03:52 PM
so i'm assuming matthews z7(sorry i know) is a past parallel, what about any of martins line up?

None that I'm aware of. Take a look at the pics in the catalogs. They are self explanatory.