PDA

View Full Version : more turkey feathers

ElkSlayer
12-20-2011, 08:07 AM
We were out messin around in the garage yappin it up. When we deside to make a pattern and cut out some sort of shiled cut turkey feathers. After I tried some Ryzors I have for the kids..

Ryzors are 2" and not sure yet on them... release is key it comming along but not as crisp as it can be..

the 3 " turk's now they are flyin ok and grouping, now this is instinctive no sights no release aid, ok you can count my finger tab, and my glasses as a sight aid...lmao

Shot is 5 yards target is a bottle cap hanging on 30# mono..
I managed to hit it many times, swings like a mad dog.. did stick it to the bag 5 times always in the same hole... lol 5245

gravedigger
12-20-2011, 08:11 AM
nicw work buddy.

ElkSlayer
12-20-2011, 08:21 AM
thanks but I share this one with 4x5 he helped, and made the pattern.. while I worked on the feathers.. Shooting is all me an the Fury...lol

ElkSlayer
12-20-2011, 08:22 AM
see all you need is a fletch jig and a wild turkey ( bird not the drink)

gravedigger
12-20-2011, 08:30 AM
see all you need is a fletch jig and a wild turkey ( bird not the drink)

darn i was hopeing the drink..it cheeper.lol

ElkSlayer
12-20-2011, 08:33 AM
naw bout the same realy....lol

elkslayer4x5
12-21-2011, 05:22 AM
We used the Gateway Razor as a model and made the turkey fletches 4" long and 5/8" high, he's getting nice stable flight, and they group. Waiting to see if they'll stabilise a broadhead. Picked up a Stone Mountain 58" recurve string and have twisted the bejeasus out of it till its about 57", trying to get to the (we're guessing ) recomended brace height of 8 1/4 - 9 1/4", Had the fistmele to 8 1/2 for a few shots till the SM string streached some more, bow was shooting very well at that brace. Will be making a string jig in the near future, and then I'll make a 57" string for it, and a 65 1/2" string for the old narrow limbed 'custom' 68" recurve that I've had since 1970. We are now thinking of making a takedown riser, similar to the Blacktail line of bows, laminating a few exotic woods and forming the riser, am viewing youtube vids for begaining tips. Any one have any experience in this type of work? :)

ElkSlayer
12-21-2011, 06:20 AM
We are now thinking of making a takedown riser, similar to the Blacktail line of bows, laminating a few exotic woods and forming the riser, am viewing youtube vids for begaining tips. Any one have any experience in this type of work? :)

any help in this matter will be gladly read over an over...also want to do a rifle stock something in Cocobolo / bubinga

HawgEnvy
12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
how are you cutting the feathers? I saw a burner thing somewhere that uses a hot wire or something to cut your own feathers. I just don't remember where I saw it,though.

How are you going to do a rifle stock?

ElkSlayer
12-21-2011, 05:14 PM
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?8205-Wild-Turkey-Feather-Spiral-Flu-Flu-s

start of spliting like above link and once it was ready to use I just laid the pattern on it an cut with scissors... the tool your refering to is a feather burner about $100 , yes I want one...lol
as per the stock we are going to do some lamination....

elkslayer4x5
12-22-2011, 04:53 AM
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?8205-Wild-Turkey-Feather-Spiral-Flu-Flu-s

start of spliting like above link and once it was ready to use I just laid the pattern on it an cut with scissors... the tool your refering to is a feather burner about $100 , yes I want one...lol
as per the stock we are going to do some lamination....

A lot of laminating, Bow risers are laminated with horizontal orentation, rifle stocks in the verticle. :)

HawgEnvy
12-22-2011, 06:41 AM
I'm very interested in seeing the rifle lamination. Looks like the feathers are giving some good accuracy. are they from turkeys that you shot? I found a nice little honey hole for turkey. might try for one in the spring

Spiker
12-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Goose feathers work quite nicely also. :p

ElkSlayer
12-22-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm very interested in seeing the rifle lamination. Looks like the feathers are giving some good accuracy. are they from turkeys that you shot? I found a nice little honey hole for turkey. might try for one in the spring

yep this one here
me and my 20+lbs 11.5 beard 1" spur bird

hours of endless arrow amusement, besides finding stump shooting wood shafts for $18 a doz.