PDA

View Full Version : Speed nocks?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Anyone here have speed nocks on a single cam bow? I sure its been done just wondering. I think with my new chrono I am going to experiment.

Hutch:cool:

droppixel
12-21-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't on mine, but have considered it with my next set of strings. I would definitely want to have a chrono handy before I really did too much with them. Curious to know what guys come up with on the single cams. Seems like a lot of bows lately are coming with the speed nocks stock.

polaris754
12-22-2011, 01:42 AM
like Droppixel said there hutch , i also have seen a lot of new bows come with them stock , had the itch to get a new one been out shopping , don't think it will be anytime soon though. waiting for my 1911 to arrive that has first priority.have a happy Holiday, Would like to know how they werk though, i don't have a crony,but had some things changed on my saber ,and the tech did some weird things, with some knocks on my string , and i can tell its way faster, i am getting pass threw , on my targets now

bowgramp59
12-22-2011, 01:53 AM
i don't use the brass nocks, instead i make 6 wraps with black electric tape and slip a 1 inch piece of heat shrink tube over it & heat, then i put those little bowjax string sliencers in the center of that. trying to kill 2 birds with one stone, speed nock & string sliencer. they have not come loose as of yet , been on my bows for a while now. don't know if they increase the speed or not ,don't have a crono graph . looks kinda cool ! will try and get pics. and post.

bfisher
12-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Bowgramp, it just proves you don't necessarily need brass nocksets, but to get the best results a chrono is an absolute must. You have to experiment with just how much weight to add and just how far from the cam(s) to locate it to get the best results. And no matter what people think the speed gain is not enough to be able see with the naked eye or ears. Usually the gain is only about 3 to 8 fps. Still, if it makes a person happy then they are in a positive mood and that helps the mental game.

bowgramp59
12-22-2011, 11:03 AM
might try and get a crono after i get al this christmas out of the way, just to play around with.

bowgramp59
12-22-2011, 11:09 AM
see if i can find these pics.

bowgramp59
12-22-2011, 11:10 AM
not very good pics. kinda blury

dzsmith
12-24-2011, 12:57 PM
i have the tru nock by truball if any of you have ever heard of it, i dont necessarily know if it is considered a speed nock, according to my research it is supposed to increase fps slightly but i have never even shot my bow over a chrono so i wouldnt know.for those of you who have never heard of it it is a metal nock loop and a plate that bolts onto your bow string with tiny screw and loctite. i havent noticed a difference in accuracy or anything the only thing i have noticed is that when i pull the trigger on my release it makes a slight metal to metal sound now because of the initial contact. it does get rid of nock loop flattening and jaw hang up completely, and it reduces spin and slippage, so if anything its a safety feature

droppixel
12-25-2011, 08:54 AM
i have the tru nock by truball if any of you have ever heard of it, i dont necessarily know if it is considered a speed nock, according to my research it is supposed to increase fps slightly but i have never even shot my bow over a chrono so i wouldnt know.for those of you who have never heard of it it is a metal nock loop and a plate that bolts onto your bow string with tiny screw and loctite. i havent noticed a difference in accuracy or anything the only thing i have noticed is that when i pull the trigger on my release it makes a slight metal to metal sound now because of the initial contact. it does get rid of nock loop flattening and jaw hang up completely, and it reduces spin and slippage, so if anything its a safety feature

Be wary of this if you don't have a string stopper or something similar:

http://youtu.be/A7hxjTP-8zg

bowgramp59
12-25-2011, 10:09 AM
lets see one with a sts !

dzsmith
12-27-2011, 06:06 PM
wow, thats crazy. yeah i have a string supressor/decelerator to prevent that. but i didnt even realize the string would go back and forth that much after a shot the bottom cam was bouncing back and forth as well. the tru ball tru nock is lower profile than that one, but ill definetly keep this video in mind i think it has left a bitter taste in my mouth

boobowbender
12-28-2011, 10:04 AM
but we must consider that the test bow was a M!@##$@%'s on a serious note i've used those when they first came out and had problems with them when sitting in my tree and turning my hand alittle causing that flat spot to kick my arrow off my string and down onto the ground. happened all the time. grrr! no probs with a d loop.

speed nocks are those located right next to the cam and usually covered with shrink wrap and supposedly make your bow faster.

Just ordered a string set from Hutch;) and was asked about speed nocks-just told him factory would be fine since i don't have a crono and my bow is smokin fast with the factory strings

Is there any other benefits i should know before hutch makes my new strings?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Your bow will benefit from speed nocks. Your string has 2 top and 2 bottom. This should speed things up :D

boobowbender
12-28-2011, 10:26 AM
thanks hutch, was just going to appologise for getting off topic on your single cam question. My opinion-even if it is just an idler wheel, a weight(nock) would be beneficial since the string still travels back that direction. thats just a guess though

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Most of the single cams I have replaced the string on. They only have the speed nocks on the bottom of the string. Some of the string builders are telling me I have to experiment.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Well to answer my question. Yes speed nocks work well on a single cam bow. I installed 2 on my sting and benefited.

TEN RING
11-10-2012, 06:10 PM
let me guess 3 to 5 fps pick up with 2 speed nocks on the bottom

boothill
11-11-2012, 01:21 PM
I actually put some of the 2 finger no-glove rubber attachments on each end on my Onza when I replaced the strings. Can slide them up and down to tune a bit for speed and helps quiet the string.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-11-2012, 03:19 PM
let me guess 3 to 5 fps pick up with 2 speed nocks on the bottom
Yep and 5fps was great.

Lab Rat
11-19-2012, 08:28 PM
I noticed that my Onza 3 and Alien Z have something that resembles a couple of nocks covered with heat shrinking. I am assuming that they are meant to act as speed nocks. Should I assume that they are in the best possible position for speed? Seems like something to tinker with - hmm.

elkslayer4x5
11-20-2012, 08:17 AM
I noticed that my Onza 3 and Alien Z have something that resembles a couple of nocks covered with heat shrinking. I am assuming that they are meant to act as speed nocks. Should I assume that they are in the best possible position for speed? Seems like something to tinker with - hmm.

That is what they are, you'd have to have a chrony to find out if they are in the best spot for your setup. By tinkering with them you could get another 3-5 fps, ......maybe.:)