PDA

View Full Version : Martin Saber Takedown?

N7XW
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Forgive me if this has already been asked. I looked around the threads but couldn't find anything, so here goes:

Does anyone know anything about the new Saber takedown? I was planning on getting a Jaguar but may now wait to see how it compares to the Saber. I don't see it for sale at the usual places yet, just listed on Martin's website. Anyone have one of these and if so, how is it? How does it compare to the Jaguar? Thanks.

TheTak
12-28-2011, 01:39 PM
This was worthy of my creating an account just to reply.

My local haunt/shop got one of these in not too long ago, and I figured I'd give it a shot.

My first opinion of it was how mean it looked, since it has quite an aggressive look to it. I don't like that it is in camo only, and wouldn't mind a black ops version. But I know that what you're asking about is performance. So here goes:

The draw is hard to explain... Even at only 40#, it was very firm yet smooth... It was a steady increase all the way to my 27.5", but you were left with no doubt to how harshly it was going to throw the arrow. I have a Bamboo Viper 66" @ 45#, and it has a much smoother draw... But the way that the Saber throws an arrow is ridiculous. It was incredibly consistent and it just launches the arrows downrange.

The only cons I had with the bow were addressed by the shop itself at no charge to whoever ends up buying it. The arrow guide is rubbish, and they replaced it with a better one, and the string was an absolute POS, after just a few rounds the loop's serving began to fray, and the shop owner immediately made a considerably better replacement endless loop string for it.

Overall, I am going to be buying that bow (I've already put well over 100 arrows through it, before and after new string and guide). The only change I am going to make is that I am going to be painting it a matte black.

oldgoat
02-04-2012, 08:57 AM
I've been looking at multiple trad forums trying to find something out about these bows, will probably just have to buy one to see. Not many shops stock anything but compounds these days and the local trad shop where I live doesn't carry much in the way of production bows unless somebody has one in on consignment. I've seen them as low as 199.99, just under the 200 dollar free shipping mark of course on a website. Somebody is selling them on ebay for 212 with free shipping. If you have a longer draw length, this bow should be theoretically smoother draw than the jaguar and less finger pinch due to it's much longer overal length, but that's just a guess since I haven't shot either.

N7XW
05-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Just getting back to this thread. I'm still thinking about this bow compared to the Jaguar. Thanks for the replies.

WildWilt15
05-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Only issue ive had was cheap serving on the string which i replaced and i got my bow in black, shes a shooter and plenty powerful to takedown a whitetail, its a little heavier then the jaguar but just looks better made ive had no real issue with mine and ive had it for about two months now only thing is dont plan on shooting off the shelf unless you rig something up like i have. like its described, it is a compound riser.

bfisher
05-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey guys,

You're all new here so I'd like to welcome you all. Hope you guys come on here regularly. You Seem to have done your homework and tried these bows for comparison. We could use a few more traditional shooters on here once in a while. You add a little zest to the forums.

Barry (admin)

davidh
05-15-2012, 09:02 AM
I bought mine from Martin online. I had read about the factory string issue and so as soon as I got mine I replaced the string. The rest that came with mine was made of rubber. I couldn't even attach it so I replaced it with a NAP flipper rest. I'm really enjoying the bow. It shoots great for me.

USNGMG2
05-17-2012, 04:39 PM
I have not had a chance to get to the range to really see what my black Saber 45# will do, but I have been shooting in the back yard into the edge of the woods. 20-25 yds. No problems with the string serving yet. Only 40 arrows shot so far. The bow is smooth and consistant. A hammerhead string is the next item on the list to change out. I installed a 2 prong Martin flipper rest and a Montana Blackgold sight that is a spare from the parts box. Right now I'm having a great time relearning traditional all over again although I do bring out the vintage Warthog Magnum(wooden riser). The saber has made the learning curve easier to manage.

bfisher
05-17-2012, 07:34 PM
I'll tell you guys that you need to make c all to Joel at customer service and voice your opinion about the servings. You're encountering a problems and the powers that be at Martin might not be aware of it. They need to hear what's going on out in the field so they can rectify the problem.

N7XW
05-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the good info guys. I am going to get either the Jaguar or Saber. I may wait for awhile though. I am new to archery after a long time out of it and need to get my new compound setup and tuned first before I start in on a new recurve.

davidh
05-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Shot my Saber Takedown at the range for the first time today. Only "aid" I have on it is a NAP Flipper Rest. No sights. Started as 15yds and moved to 20 after I gained some confidence. I don't have enough experience with other traditional bows to compare this too. All I can say is I had fun shooting it. I agree with the earlier post that it is consistent. At least when I miss I miss consistently. I can work on my form to help that. The only other thing I've done besides change the string and the arrow rest is put some felt strips from a roll of adhesive velcro over the string grooves. Got that at Home Depot. Very inexpensive way to help quite the bow. Works great. I don't think you can go wrong getting this bow. Its a good value and lots of fun to shoot and its an awesome looking bow.

elkslayer4x5
05-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Having no experience with a Saber takedown, I don't know about a warfed compound/recurve, but a recurve will quiet down when its braced with the correct length string. Nice trick with adhesive velcro, however the bow will perform better if you find its perfect string length. :cool:

davidh
05-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Yes for anyone wanting to change the string for the Martin Saber Takedown - specs call for AMO Length: 64".

ThePecha
01-09-2013, 11:04 AM
This thread is a few months old so i hope someone can help me out here.

I ordered the Saber a few weeks ago, should be here next week. It will be my first bow. I've read about the string not being too good so i ordered a hammerhead from Martin (unfortunatly they say the order will be delayed for 5-8 weeks).
I've also heard the arrow rest not very decent. Would anyone be able to reccommend a replacement? I was going to order a whisker biscuit, would i need a sight to use this? I dont really want to use a sight, i would rather 'use gut feeling' if you know what i mean.

elkslayer4x5
01-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Lots of traditional rests avaible, I'm still shooting a Hoyt pro flex rest, an inexpencive 'flipper' style rest, and would recomend something similar, for their durability and concensity. Personally, I'd stay away for a whisker biscuit, nothing wrong with the rest, just that you don't really need that type of rest on a Saber, any of the rest on this page will work well for you. Look on the right side of the page.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Dura+Flip+Rest_i3551X_baseitem.html

As for the string, I recomend a quality string, I get my string from D Merrill, for $11.50 you get a high quality string in your choice of style and colors.

http://www.dmerrill.com/page.php?funct=as&pName=strings

ThePecha
01-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Lots of traditional rests avaible, I'm still shooting a Hoyt pro flex rest, an inexpencive 'flipper' style rest, and would recomend something similar, for their durability and concensity. Personally, I'd stay away for a whisker biscuit, nothing wrong with the rest, just that you don't really need that type of rest on a Saber, any of the rest on this page will work well for you. Look on the right side of the page.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Dura+Flip+Rest_i3551X_baseitem.html

As for the string, I recomend a quality string, I get my string from D Merrill, for $11.50 you get a high quality string in your choice of style and colors.

http://www.dmerrill.com/page.php?funct=as&pName=strings

Thanks for those links Elkslayer, much appreciated. I just ordered a flip rest from the site. Will wait and see how i get on with it.