PDA

View Full Version : OH oh !!!

rjd
12-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Drew back on a doe this morning. That was the good part. Released missed by a mile and it sounded horrible. At the bottom cam one side of the yoke is no longer attached. There also is a bunch of splinters showing on the limb . Have calls and e-mails out hopfully this can be fixed . 527052715272

gravedigger
12-23-2011, 07:12 AM
wow how old are the string and cable?

ElkSlayer
12-23-2011, 07:29 AM
OH no say it aint so .... hope you get it back in top shape soon.:(

Speedykills
12-23-2011, 07:39 AM
that suck's,looks like a e-clip came off! to bad you didnt get the doe though.

HawgEnvy
12-23-2011, 08:47 AM

e-clip was my first thought,too.

gravedigger
12-23-2011, 08:50 AM

now i see the axle half way out.deff looks like the E-clip aint ther no more

rjd
12-23-2011, 09:40 AM
The clip is gone and the only thing holding it in is the other side. Limbs are backed off all the way .

Strings a just over a year old . They have held up great. These were made by Ron at Extrme Bowstrings . I'm sure he'll get me up and back shooting ASAP.

Just won't feel right not hunting the last week of the season. And indoor 3d is just around the corner.

bfisher
12-23-2011, 03:28 PM
No doubt that the e-clip came off and the axle shifted. Then the yoke came off the axle. The pic is too blurry for me to see splinters in the limbs. I'd back the weight off some more, tap the axle back in place, and reinstall the cable yoke. The cable itself appears OK. Oh, a new e-clip might be a good idea, too.

In the meantime get some clearer pics and talk to Joel at Martin about the possibility of new limbs. Once you have better pics put it back together and shoot it.

gravedigger
12-23-2011, 03:36 PM
i will say only shoot it if you think it can be shot.from the pics it looks like the bottom limb it broke and splinterd in a few spots.

if it were me and my botom limb was splinterd in several places i would be scared of the cam comin off the limb and hitting me in the mouth and doing some damage.but i cant really tell from the pics exactly whare all the splinter are.

MLN1963
12-23-2011, 04:00 PM
How do you know the e clip fell off and caused the damage? Maybe the limb splitting caused unequal pressure on the yoke and caused the e clip to pop off as a result of the split?

rjd
12-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Have the limbs back off . I can see through the barrel nuts. Wouldn't even think about shooting it till someone loooks at it. Will try to get better pictures tomorrow.

Well I have a back up bow . Will be setting the High Country up in the morning. That Will be interesting cause I'll be switching back to a right hand bow.

Speedykills
12-23-2011, 07:16 PM
How do you know the e clip fell off and caused the damage? Maybe the limb splitting caused unequal pressure on the yoke and caused the e clip to pop off as a result of the split?

Actually the e-clip coming off would cause the limb to splinter as there is no yoke to hold equal pressure and this would cause limb to twist and splinter under a heavy load.

MLN1963
12-24-2011, 04:57 AM
Yep, I think it is possible it could do that. I also believe that if the limb split it would be the weaker side and put a side load on the e clip and pop it off. There really is no way to say how it happened, it is just a guess at best IMO.

rjd
12-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys. Cann't seem to get a decent picture of the limb.

Got my back up out and I'm sighted in out to 30yds. Sure is differant going back to the "RIGHT SIDE". Will be out in the ground blind in the morning.

elkslayer4x5
12-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Good luck to you, hope that the High Country works out for you, even if you have to shoot from the correct side. :D Really hope that you get your Slayer back up and shooting, hate to see a bow go down, especially a Slayer ! Knocking wood, both of mine are rock solid.

BlondeBomber
12-31-2011, 05:30 AM
Hey RJD, a completely off topic question...how do you like those limb dampeners on your bow??? Gander Mtn has them on clearance and I have been debating picking up a pack. Do they move around? Are they too bulky?

Thanks in advance, sorry about your bow. I'm sure Martin will help you fix it up, they've given me top-notch service to the point that I'll probably never buy another brand simply because of their service.

bfisher
12-31-2011, 09:33 AM

As I said, I can't clearly see what damage the limb actually has. Further more for the limb to twist enough to put enough pressue on an e-clip to pop it off would really be severe and would most likely cause the string to derail. I've seen a few cases of e-clips being missing or not being seated right and later popping off while shooting. This can allow the axle to slide part way out of the limb and cause what we are looking at. Just from my years of experience I think this is more probable than just outright limb failure. But then again, with all the stress and vibration that goes on with a bow being shot I guess anything can happen.

MLN1963
12-31-2011, 09:43 AM
I understand what you are saying Barry. It makes sense too. What I was getting at was maybe the limb spit on the shot, then the unequal pressure caused the e-clip to pop off. I would imagine the limbs would have some eratic and violent movements if one split.

I it all turns out well RJD.

rjd
01-01-2012, 04:44 AM
Ron called on Tuesday. Limbs are on the way.

Blonebomber:

Like them . They really helped quite the Slayer down. They are pretty tight on the limb. They came in a set with a couple of Jaxs and string leaches. The leaches sucked, they only lasteda few weeks. Back to cats whiskers!!!

Hutch:

Ron seems to thinck the clip was already off somehow. Then this is the after affects.

elkslayer4x5
01-01-2012, 05:51 AM
Glad to read that your Slayer will soon be back in action. :)

bfisher
01-02-2012, 04:14 AM
What leeches were you using. I presume they are Simms. If you had the old "S" shaped ones I'd agree that they didn't last too long. The newer ones are called Super Leeches (I think) and are the same as those used for crossbows. These work much better as far as durability is concerned, but can still fly out of the string. It's best to have the string twisted pretty tight or serve them in just like you would a peep. On the other hand, good old Cat Whiskers are pretty hard to beat for price and function. They slow a bow down a bit more, but this is just one of those issues you have to weigh. What's more important, a few fps or quiet? For hunting I'll take quiet every time.

rjd
01-02-2012, 01:36 PM
They were the ones that come with the Diamond Hush Kit. I felt they didn't do enough compared to the catsd whiskers that they replaced. Would like to find some yellow and royal blue cats whiskers. Thet would match the string colors.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-02-2012, 01:58 PM
They were the ones that come with the Diamond Hush Kit. I felt they didn't do enough compared to the catsd whiskers that they replaced. Would like to find some yellow and royal blue cats whiskers. Thet would match the string colors.
I use these for my customers

Here is the link!
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1392591

Hutch:cool:

bfisher
01-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Good link, Hutch. Far be it for me to stand in the way of color coordination. Those whiskers are cool.

elkslayer4x5
01-03-2012, 06:11 AM
Thanks to jnordwell, here's a link for those blue wiskers you're looking for.

http://www.anglersworkshop.net/fly-t...bber-legs.html

rjd
01-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys. Now I've got a bigger descsion to make . Someone was in the shop and showed interest in the Slayer . There is a 2010 Warthog on the rack. Hummmm....

rjd
01-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Well got the Slayer back on Friday. It is now has 70# limbs. Had 60# before but Joel said they didn't have any left. Camo pattern is a really close match. Shot it in the shop. I'm really happy . Going to mount my sight and get it ready for the first 3d shoot in the next week.

Thanks to Joel at Martin also everyone behind the scenes there. And to Ron at Extrme Bowstrings.

elkslayer4x5
01-14-2012, 05:26 AM
Glad you got the ole girl back up and shooting. At 70#'s those B cams ought to send your arrows screaming down range. :)