PDA

View Full Version : Arrow vanes hitting cable?

ajinid
12-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Got a 2011 Saber for Christmas. Noticed that the one of the cables appears to be in the path of the blazer vanes on my arrow. Can't tell if this is really affecting my shot cause I'm just starting to sight in my bow. I tried playing w/ the cable guard and slide but can't get the cable out of the way enough. Is this something I should worry about?

boobowbender
12-28-2011, 09:42 AM
can we assume you have the nock indexed correctly. maybe your rest needs to be moved out slightly, who set it up? send pics-would help everyone else help you out - they will be able to see the problem.
I had a trophy taker on a bowtech with clearance probs but my martins are always good

ajinid
12-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Here are some pictures. It was set up at Cabelas with an NAP Apache Rest. They used a laser level device to set it up. I'm a newbie, but it seemed like they knew what they were doing.5295529652975298

Money Man
12-28-2011, 05:48 PM
It appears that you have an offset guide rod. It seems from your pictures, that it is held in place by 2 set screws in the riser. Loosen the screws and twist the guide rod counter clock wise from your current position, until you achieve your proper vane clearance. I say counter clockwise, as it looks like the offset is around the 6 o'clock position.

Arrow Splitter
12-28-2011, 06:25 PM
It appears that you have an offset guide rod. It seems from your pictures, that it is held in place by 2 set screws in the riser. Loosen the screws and twist the guide rod counter clock wise from your current position, until you achieve your proper vane clearance. I say counter clockwise, as it looks like the offset is around the 6 o'clock position.x2 This should solve your problem. Welcome to the forum.

A.S

ajinid
12-28-2011, 09:08 PM
I tried moving the offset cable rod but the vanes still hit the cable. (see new pic). I'm wondering if its a manufacturng issue since this bow was originally manufactured for the trg/sos system. when I got my bow it had a cable slide instead and a had insert explaining that due to problems w/ the TRG/SOS it had been discontinued. Anyway to adjust the rod more? I'm worried the cables will be out of adjustment or have too much friction if they are moved any further.5299

NuttyNative
12-28-2011, 09:24 PM
x2 This should solve your problem. Welcome to the forum.

A.S

Would that possibly create torque due to the string being pushed that far out?
I don't claim to know much & am still basically new to archery but, may seem silly to some. You are using a drop away rest, can't you rotate the nock to where there is adequate clearance? I haven't heard or read anywhere that a vane needs to on top. I've used Bodoodle's that required a vane straight down to work propperly and had no issues with clearance or accuracy.
Just a thought.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Would that possibly create torque due to the string being pushed that far out?
I don't claim to know much & am still basically new to archery but, may seem silly to some. You are using a drop away rest, can't you rotate the nock to where there is adequate clearance? I haven't heard or read anywhere that a vane needs to on top. I've used Bodoodle's that required a vane straight down to work propperly and had no issues with clearance or accuracy.
Just a thought.That is true NN, just rotate the nock.

Hutch:cool:

bfisher
12-29-2011, 03:19 AM
As the guys have said, the cheapest and quickest way to try is to rotate the arrow nock so that the inner vane has clearance. Then use a foot powder spray or lipstick on that vane and shoot it to see if there is still any contact with the cables or any part of the rest. If there isn't then you should be good-to-go.

If there is still contact then your next move would be to rotate the rod to give the necessary clearance. You should have enough adjustment so rotate it so it appears to have about 1/8" or so clearance. At this point I wouldn't worry about creating more side torque as you certainly can't continue to shoot it as is. If you have to go this route then pay particuar attention to the angle the cable leaves the cam onto the module. As you shoot the bow keep an eye on the serving at the module to make sure it isn't chafing. The smoother this transition the better, but there will be some wear over time. Just don't let it get a point of chafing or cutting the serving.

darkember
12-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Having looked at thoses photos.

1: Has the cable slide been correctly installed? If it was flipped over 180 degrees on the rod the shorter end would be at the back.
2: I have also tried to view other setups to get closeups of cable slides so I cannot be 100% with the above observation, or if the slider block should be position to the outer side of the rod & not on the rest side.
3: Smaller vanes can be fitted.

Buzz Lite Beer
12-30-2011, 08:32 AM
I would still turn the slide rod out but have it angled at 120 that way you are bringing the slide further down pulling the cables out of the way but nearer the arrow (optimising clearance but with minimal torque)
1, Rotate nock
2, Refletch, get lower profile vanes or even try feather fletchings

Arrow Splitter
12-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Having looked at thoses photos.

1: Has the cable slide been correctly installed? If it was flipped over 180 degrees on the rod the shorter end would be at the back.
2: I have also tried to view other setups to get closeups of cable slides so I cannot be 100% with the above observation, or if the slider block should be position to the outer side of the rod & not on the rest side.
3: Smaller vanes can be fitted.The cable rod appears to be installed correctly. The cable slide only works the way it's installed, on the arrow rest side.

A.S

Speedykills
12-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Go to your proshop or online and get a tighter cable slide,there are different ones to choose from.

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Cable_Slides_-_Guards.html

Arrow Splitter
12-30-2011, 04:42 PM
ajinid, you probably should give Martin a call and see what they think. They should be able to take care of your problem.

A.S

MLN1963
12-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Go to your proshop or online and get a tighter cable slide,there are different ones to choose from.http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Cable_Slides_-_Guards.htmlSpeedy
Do you have any suggestions?

Speedykills
12-31-2011, 01:23 AM
Speedy
Do you have any suggestions?

Yes that is what the link i provided is for.

MLN1963
12-31-2011, 05:37 AM
I didn't see any measurements given, did I miss something? I was asking if you had any suggestions as to which ones would get the cables closest to the cable rod based on any experience you have with them.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-31-2011, 05:53 AM
Got a 2011 Saber for Christmas. Noticed that the one of the cables appears to be in the path of the blazer vanes on my arrow. Can't tell if this is really affecting my shot cause I'm just starting to sight in my bow. I tried playing w/ the cable guard and slide but can't get the cable out of the way enough. Is this something I should worry about?Welcome to the forum, My suggestion is to call Martin and tell them what is going on. The bow should not have that problem. I am sure they can get you pointed in the right direction. I looked at a lot of videos on the Saber and none had that problem.

Hutch:cool:

Speedykills
12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
I didn't see any measurements given, did I miss something? I was asking if you had any suggestions as to which ones would get the cables closest to the cable rod based on any experience you have with them.

Ok if martin cant help i would rotate the rod to 1 oclock position and use this cable slide......http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Archery_Equipment_-_Supplies/Cable_Slides_-_Guards/New_Archery_Products_Carbonglide_Cable_Slide/Page_1/CGS1940403.html

On the ross bow i had recently it had a cable slide that was like the OP,stuck out quite a bit,also reminds me of the ones hoyt has on there bows ,but if i didnt sell it i was going to get this one in the link.