PDA

View Full Version : Shadowcat question

NeilMac
12-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I really should know this....but I don't.

Is it possible to let a Shadowcat down, for a complete strip down, just by winding the limb bolts out?

I know this can be done on other models (and I have done it with Oneida's), but I don't know if this can be done with the Cat.

Buzz Lite Beer
12-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Nope can't be done, requires a bowpress.

gravedigger
12-28-2011, 01:51 PM
i thought with all of martin bows a guy could back out the limb bolts to break it down.but then again i dont know a great deal about the shadowcat

Spiker
12-28-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't know about the SC's either but there are some that do require a press.

NeilMac
12-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Nope can't be done, requires a bowpress.

That's what I thought.

Not a problem, as I have always used a press for string /cam changes in the past, I just wondered if it was possible without.

Thanks guys.

Speedykills
12-29-2011, 02:56 AM
If the shadow cat has the little barrell nuts where the limb bolts thread into then yes they can.I took a firecat tr2 aNd alien X limbs off that way.All i did was back limb bolts out until you can see daylight in the barrell nut at this point there was nough pressure off limbs that i was able to take cams off limbs of both bows.

NeilMac
12-29-2011, 03:36 AM
If the shadow cat has the little barrell nuts where the limb bolts thread into then yes they can.

The Cat does have barrel nuts.... so now I'm confused.

Either I can or cannot let the bow down, with or possible without a press :D

I think a little experimentation is called for.

MLN1963
12-29-2011, 05:14 AM
My FC400 will not take all tension off the string and cables with the limb bolts backed out. There is a slight amount left and if I go too far they will pop out making a mess (don't ask how I know :cool: ). This used to really frustrate me until I realized I could turn them as far out as possible and then just pull the cables an string off the cams to release the rest of the tension.

So no, not all bows will relieve 100% of the tension, but it is easily worked around on some because most of the tension is relieved.

Spiker
12-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Strings would not come off my Nemesis without a press.

Buzz Lite Beer
12-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Page 12 of the Shadowcat/2011 Martin manual:-
"First, relax the bow properly in a
bowpress before attempting to make any
adjustments".

Even if you replaced the existing 50mm limb bolts and replaced them with 80mm which would fit in the machined cut outs (on a Shadowcat) in the riser, backing them out fully wouldn't relax the limbs enough to safely IMO remove string/cables and especially limbs.

Speedykills
12-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Man im glad i got the AX............................:cool:

MLN1963
12-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Man im glad i got the AX............................:cool:Some guys have all the luck!

Montalaar
12-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Would be more helpful if only people who actually own a ShadowCat would comment on this ShadowCat-related problem.
As far as i can state anything of use:
It is possible to release enough tension from the limbs (on a 60 bow) to remove everything and work on the bare bow. It requires some strngth but every archer should have enough of that to put the string back on after the work as one need to bend the limb just a tad. Nothing to worry about.

NeilMac
12-29-2011, 10:46 PM
After the mixed messages I've been getting, I figured I would just see how much tension I could take off by letting down the limb bolts. I have a press, so if it needs pressing, then that's not an issue, and if it doesn't, then that's fine too.

First thing I need to sort out though, is some suitable paint for a respray of the riser.....but that's another thread.

Buzz Lite Beer
12-30-2011, 04:55 AM
You can should you wish, once the limbs are fully backed off get someone to apply force to the limbs and unhook cables/string but, as the several posts on split & snapped limbs are a bit too scary for me to be using any such unorthodox methods and abusing limbs more than they are intended, I'll stick with and continue to advise bow pressing.

Don B
12-30-2011, 03:26 PM
On one of mine I was able to take it all apart by backing the limb bolts out and then standing the bow up on the carpet and pressing down on the top limb and removing the string. On my other one I had to use the press. I also used the press to put both of them back togeather, it was just easier.

Don.