PDA

View Full Version : Longbow vs. Recurve

viper1434
12-29-2011, 05:29 AM
Just to chat and see what is everyones opinion why so some like recurves instead of longbows? And same why do some perfer longbows instead of recurve. What are the advantages you gain from recurve that a longbow may not have and what are advantages with longbow? Just like to see everyones opinion

elkslayer4x5
12-29-2011, 06:28 AM
Sorry, viper1434. I can't help you with this question, as I've only shoot recurves and compounds. My brother ( 7 years older ) had a long bow, and took a buck with it, and then actually sawed 6 inches off both ends, cause it was too long! Had a heck of a time restringing it and then could'nt draw it. The bow was 45 lbs to start with, no clue what it ended up at. I've always prefered the shape or look of the recurve over that of the long bow, so that is what I shot.

madman350
12-29-2011, 02:21 PM
that would be my take on it, simpy a recurve is just gonna be a little more manueverable in the woods, looks better, and they are pretty easy to transport when unstrung.

alex
12-31-2011, 12:16 PM
A recurve bow has more speed and is a little easier to shoot (meaning more accurate) at shorter lenght. A longbow is better for target shooting. I plan to buy a longbow this year and will see if this theory is correct.

jnordwell
01-01-2012, 08:34 AM
get the best of both worlds...reflex deflex longbow like the savannah

DeepRiverBowman
01-03-2012, 09:18 PM
When I switched from a compound to a TD Jaguar the first (unexpected) thing I noticed was how l-o-n-g it was. I actually hit the seat on my stand this year shooting at a deer behind me so I'm still getting used to it. I think a longbow would be even more of a problem in a tree. Longbows might be great on the ground, but I don't think they work as well from a tree.

mike