PDA

View Full Version : F.O.C. with a heavy arrow

bob cooly
01-02-2012, 07:01 AM
I have decided to increase my arrow weight but do not want to change my broad head. Currently shooting a 340 Easton Axis arrow at 29" with a 100 grain Magnus 4 blade Buzzcut, 50lb Onza 3 at 291/2" draw. I have a dozen new arrows and want to add 10 grains to the front to help stabilize this combination, can I screw a 8/32 allen screw in to the insert behind my broadhead to achieve the desired weight of 425 grains for this setup. Vanes are Blazers.

elkslayer4x5
01-02-2012, 07:19 AM
It would be easy to do IF you were shooting GoldTip arrows, they have a tip point weight system. If there is enough space in your insert to add an 8/32 Allen set screw and still thread in your point, then yes, it could be done, just add a dab of blue locktite to the set screw.

bob cooly
01-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks Elkslayer, seasons over for me and I am going to start building a setup for neat year.

NuttyNative
01-02-2012, 08:28 AM
I shoot the same arrows at 29.5" with 100gr tips and it's 425gr total. Just a thought.

droppixel
01-02-2012, 05:27 PM
I shoot the same arrows at 29.5" with 100gr tips and it's 425gr total. Just a thought.

I think the intention of the extra weight at his current arrow length is the FOC increase as in the title. It would make sense that .5" would give you that extra weight needed to hit the 425 mark, but having that slightly shorter arrow with that same weight and adding it up front will keep the FOC up to whatever % he is looking to achieve, at least that is what I gather.

4x5 is right about the GT inserts, I don't know how many other brands they could fit, but it is a good idea to have that as a capability I think. I'm shooting GT right now and have thought about adding some extra weight to my arrows, but that would throw my effective spine down to the weaker end of the spectrum I think and I'm looking at an arrow change at the end of the season anyhow.