PDA

View Full Version : Changing strings on 2012 Bengal

longshot1154
01-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Greetings all,

New member here and am looking at picking up the 2012 Bengal Pro. I apologize in advance if this question has all ready been answered but I tried to use the search feature and could not find the answer. I was reading the owner's manual online and it advises that the 10 and 20 pound weight drops need to be done at a dealer as well as string changes. I know on my old Martin, I could back the limb bolts out enough to relieve the pressure on the strings in order to replace them. Is this no longer a feature on the 2012 bows? I have a bowmaster portable bow press, and was further wondering if this bow press is acceptable to use on the new Bengal? Again, sorry if this has all ready been asked, I have searched here as well as on Archerytalk but could not find the answers.

Keith

Speedykills
01-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Yes this subject has been beaten to death over and over and over.....:p.....no but really if it has those steel barrel nut's that the limb bolts go through then i would say yes.But as many here will say useing a press is the preferd method.........

longshot1154
01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the response. Probably wasn't using the right words to search for the answers. In looking at the photos, it looks like it has the steel barrel nuts, but I haven't seen the bow in person, so was looking to get some info before ordering.

elkslayer4x5
01-07-2012, 04:01 AM
Everything I've read indicates that you'll be able to back out the limb bolts as per usuall, but if not, you already have a Bowmaster portable and that will give you more than enough slack to change to the other pegs. If nothing else, the Bowmaster will save you the work of turning the limb bolts out and in. Because I am lazy, I use a ratchet with a 5/8 socket to crank my Bowmaster, gives me a lot more leverage. Just a thought. :)

droppixel
01-07-2012, 05:40 AM
Everything I've read indicates that you'll be able to back out the limb bolts as per usuall, but if not, you already have a Bowmaster portable and that will give you more than enough slack to change to the other pegs. If nothing else, the Bowmaster will save you the work of turning the limb bolts out and in. Because I am lazy, I use a ratchet with a 5/8 socket to crank my Bowmaster, gives me a lot more leverage. Just a thought. :)

I'm looking at getting a Bowmaster, would the same apply for backing it out with the socket to give it a smooth let-off? I haven't worked with one of the presses before, but know it is going to save a lot of time should I get one when I go to change strings out and do minor tuning.

elkslayer4x5
01-08-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm looking at getting a Bowmaster, would the same apply for backing it out with the socket to give it a smooth let-off? I haven't worked with one of the presses before, but know it is going to save a lot of time should I get one when I go to change strings out and do minor tuning.

Not sure that I understand what you mean by getting a smooth let off, if you are asking will it smoothly apply tension back onto the limbs by turning the Bowmaster with the ratchet and socket, then Yes, all useing a socket and the ratchet does is give you better leverage than the T bar of the Bowmaster does, same as using a wrench would. Which I've also done. I'd recomend getting a Bowmaster, some of the best money I ever spent on archery equipment! Biggest trouble I had with the Bowmaster was trying to get it back into its package, so I made a small gear bag for it. Oh yeah, I did loose one of the end rubberpads, but fixed it with a dip in a can of plastic dip, also made the yellow bars/cords for bows that leave no room for the Bowmaster bars to go thru the limbs, like my grandson's Parker SideKick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/DSCN1658.jpg

longshot1154
01-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Elkslayer, thanks for the response. I ordered the bow the other day and it should be here in a couple days. Looking forward to getting it set up. Too bad there isn't any indoor ranges close by. Getting pretty cold here to shoot outside.

droppixel
01-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Not sure that I understand what you mean by getting a smooth let off, if you are asking will it smoothly apply tension back onto the limbs by turning the Bowmaster with the ratchet and socket, then Yes, all useing a socket and the ratchet does is give you better leverage than the T bar of the Bowmaster does, same as using a wrench would. Which I've also done. I'd recomend getting a Bowmaster, some of the best money I ever spent on archery equipment! Biggest trouble I had with the Bowmaster was trying to get it back into its package, so I made a small gear bag for it. Oh yeah, I did loose one of the end rubberpads, but fixed it with a dip in a can of plastic dip, also made the yellow bars/cords for bows that leave no room for the Bowmaster bars to go thru the limbs, like my grandson's Parker SideKick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/DSCN1658.jpg

Yes sir, that is what I was wondering. Got a Cabela's card for Xmas - was hoping to have enough cards to be able to get a new stand and sticks ... clearly the family didn't get the hint - so I'll probably be looking to use it on a Bowmaster.

elkslayer4x5
01-10-2012, 04:02 AM
As I said, some of the best money I've ever spent on archery gear, I'd get another one today if something should ever happen to mine. Blew a bear hunt once by dumping my mountain bike onto my Nitrous camed Slayer, derailed it. Really sucked, being 5 miles up a mountain, hot on the bears tracks, and not having my bowmaster in my pack, like it is now. Now, I never leave home without it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/derailedcam.jpg

longshot1154
01-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Did end up ordering the Bengal and it came in on the 14th of January. Fit and finish is outstanding. Tag from Martin says the draw weight is 72 pounds on my bow. Backed the limbs down quite a ways then used my bowmaster to install the peep sight. Only have shot it a couple dozen times as its been cold here. Blazing fast compared to my Cheetah. It's draw is very smooth and no vibration on the shot. Does make a little noise when the string hits the stop, need to tweek it a little when it gets a little warmer. Also paper and walk back tuning will be done once it warms up some.

Being able to set it down to 35 pounds is a great feature. My wife has been toying with the idea of shooting, so I might drop mine down she she can try it. I was checking the specs on the Exile Pro for her, or if she likes this one, a second Bengal may be in order. Was looking at the Mission Craze for her, but I would rather get her a Martin if she likes this one.

Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Great news, now we need to pick on you a little, where's the pics:( Gotta see this beauty.

Hutch:cool:

longshot1154
01-23-2012, 02:27 PM
At work now, I'll try to take some tomorrow afternoon when I get up.

Arrow Splitter
01-23-2012, 02:41 PM
At work now, I'll try to take some tomorrow afternoon when I get up.Sounds good. We all like to see pictures.:cool:

By the way, Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum.