PDA

View Full Version : Magnum Cougar Speed Flight XR draw length

tvnuts
01-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Greeting,

I am new to Martin bow. I am planning to purchase a second hand Magnum Cougar Speed Flight XR .

Does anyone know the draw length adjustment on this model ?

It was listed as 31" but I would prefer to low it to 28/29 if possible .

Thank you

Spiker
01-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Draw length will be adjustable by removeable modules that are attached to the cam or cams by two screws.
Once you have the bow and determine the amount of change you need, you can replace the module with whatever one will be appropriate.
The modules are numbered 1-9 with a higher number giving you a longer draw length.
Module sets are available directly from Martin or from a dealer if you have one near you.

tvnuts
01-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Draw length will be adjustable by removeable modules that are attached to the cam or cams by two screws.
Once you have the bow and determine the amount of change you need, you can replace the module with whatever one will be appropriate.
The modules are numbered 1-9 with a higher number giving you a longer draw length.
Module sets are available directly from Martin or from a dealer if you have one near you.

Thank you very much for the advice

bcriner
01-06-2012, 05:37 AM
It depends on the wheels. If these are the early flite wheels there are no modules. You have 3 slots on the wheel which will each offer a 1" range such as 28-30".

tvnuts
01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
It depends on the wheels. If these are the early flite wheels there are no modules. You have 3 slots on the wheel which will each offer a 1" range such as 28-30".

I think you are right . I attached the photo of the wheels.

Can I change the wheels / cams ?
I hate to trash this bow.

Thank you

bfisher
01-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Man, do I remember those days. And if I have my head screwed on right yours is already on it's shortest setting, but then I remember always getting it wrong, too. Maybe it's on it's longest setting. Somebody else will have to get it for you. If I'm wrong and it's set to the longest setting then changing to the middle slot will shorten it 1" and the next slot would be two inches.

tvnuts
01-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Man, do I remember those days. And if I have my head screwed on right yours is already on it's shortest setting, but then I remember always getting it wrong, too. Maybe it's on it's longest setting. Somebody else will have to get it for you. If I'm wrong and it's set to the longest setting then changing to the middle slot will shorten it 1" and the next slot would be two inches.

Bfisher,
Do you know if can use those new cams from Martin ?

Thank you
KC

polaris754
01-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Just throwin this out there, if its adjusted for the lowest now , what about shorter string and cables?.dont even have a clue if that can be done .but i cant see why it wont . good luc

Speedykills
01-20-2012, 02:48 AM
Just throwin this out there, if its adjusted for the lowest now , what about shorter string and cables?.dont even have a clue if that can be done .but i cant see why it wont . good luc

If it was me i would just get a used used older martin bow like a saber,jaguar,there pretty cheep and would be alot better than putting any money in that bow.

bfisher
01-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Bfisher,
Do you know if can use those new cams from Martin ?

Thank you
KC

I wouldn't recommend swapping to more modern cams. Your limbs are the wood/glass laminated variety and won't take the stress from these newer cams. You'd be looking for catastrophic limb failure. You cold short string it though, meaning put a shorter string on. Go to a shop and buy one, but make sure it's made of Dacron or B50. This would be an inexpensive way to see what you get. Expect the draw weight to drop and percentage of holding weight to go up. About 1" is all I'd recommend at this point.

There is the possibility of putting smaller cams on the bow if you can find any. Check the classifieds on AT. Maybe if you're lucky you'll find somebody you can make an even swap with. I can't help with what cams you'd need as I wasn't with Martin back in those days. Measure the outside diameter and/or look for a number stamped into the cams for comparison.

tvnuts
01-20-2012, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't recommend swapping to more modern cams. Your limbs are the wood/glass laminated variety and won't take the stress from these newer cams. You'd be looking for catastrophic limb failure. You cold short string it though, meaning put a shorter string on. Go to a shop and buy one, but make sure it's made of Dacron or B50. This would be an inexpensive way to see what you get. Expect the draw weight to drop and percentage of holding weight to go up. About 1" is all I'd recommend at this point.

There is the possibility of putting smaller cams on the bow if you can find any. Check the classifieds on AT. Maybe if you're lucky you'll find somebody you can make an even swap with. I can't help with what cams you'd need as I wasn't with Martin back in those days. Measure the outside diameter and/or look for a number stamped into the cams for comparison.

Thank you very much
KC