PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting

Ehunter
01-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Just booked a moose hunt in Alberta for Oct. 2012. The guide is only taking 4 hunters for the year, and me, my brother, and father get to be 3 of them. Now to decide what bow to take... Anyone got any advise or suggestions about moose hunting? It'll be my first time ever.

gravedigger
01-06-2012, 03:26 PM
i have no clus....but simple life hunt then mean beasts.i think he might be your best bet on gettin tips.PM him if he dont chime in.

dang man,that going to be a great hunt.

SJunior
01-06-2012, 03:55 PM
I would use the Firecat, take the X or the Onza as backup.

Only advice I can give on moose hunting is,,,,,,,,,,, TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!! :D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-06-2012, 04:03 PM
I would use the Firecat, take the X or the Onza as backup.

Only advice I can give on moose hunting is,,,,,,,,,,, TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!! :DJust visit I have them in my backyard

Hutch:cool:

bigredhunter00
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
E,

Just wanted to say i hate u i hate u i hate you lmao. Just kidding, seriously though i can shoot.

Arrow Splitter
01-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Just booked a moose hunt in Alberta for Oct. 2012. The guide is only taking 4 hunters for the year, and me, my brother, and father get to be 3 of them. Now to decide what bow to take... Anyone got any advise or suggestions about moose hunting? It'll be my first time ever.I don't know, but Simple Life might have some suggestions.

elkslayer4x5
01-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Lucky Dog! Have always wanted to arrow a swamp donkey, take your 70# Onza lll, and your 60# Onza lll for a backup, remember to take lots of photos. Also be prepared for the work that will follow the kill, 700 to 1000 lbs of meat to take care of. Biggest tip I can offer ( since I've never hunted Moose ) is ti wait till he's out of the water, or not going to get in water. the followup work will be twice as hard in water. :)

Skbengal
01-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Congrats on the hunt! I think you're gonna have a blast! There is nothing quite like the rush of a 7' tall bull moose with 3'-4' of rack, thrashing the bush, and coming straight at you when you call! Elkslayer is right about your equipment, you're fine there. I grew up in Alberta, where are you going to hunt? When are you going to hunt? The rut takes place about the third week of Sept. But if the weather is to warm they will rut a little later. Also if the moon is full they may not respond to your calls til after dark. If you miss the rut you will likely have to spot and stalk. Not nearly as exciting, but still fun. Don't believe the stories of moose being mean. They're big and makes lots of noise, but as soon as they realize you're not a moose they'll turn away. My Buddy had one charge in so fast that he could have hit it on the end of it's nose with his bow before it turned away. All he had was a bad case of the shakes afterwards. We both laugh and joke about it til this day! Hard to get thrills and memories like that anywhere else! One warning, if you shoot one don't jump him to soon. A moose has a lot of blood. They usually will not go far when hurt, and will bed down. But if you jump them too soon they will head into the deepest part of the muskeg they can find! I wish you the best on what I'm sure will be a great experience! One last thing, DO NOT SHOOT A MOOSE IN THE WATER! IT IS MUCH MORE THAN TWICE THE WORK! Just think of how hard it would be to put a 200-300 lb quarter of meat on your shoulder and then walk through waist deep water with your boots getting stuck in the mud every step! Just a friendly warning from someone who knows.

Ehunter
01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
We'll be hunting in northeast Alberta. Up around Burnt Lake. Hunt starts Oct. 1st. The guide said that's when they really hit the rut in that area. Also said he might change the date to a little before, or after, depending on weather and moose activity. He has 3500 square miles of area, and another 3500 that his buddy has, and we can hunt all of it. No other outfitter is allowed to hunt in that area.

SKB, what kind of broadheads would you recommend? Been using Shuttle T-Locks and Slick Tricks on deer around here, but would a cut on contact be better? Was looking at some Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades.

Of course, taking the .300 Weatherby for back-up or longer shots. lol

Arrow Splitter
01-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Of course, taking the .300 Weatherby for back-up or longer shots. lolCheater! LOL

Skbengal
01-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Well, that's definately good moose country! You're outfitter may have told you that nobody else can hunt but I'm sure you'll encounter other hunters. Laws regarding hunting are a little different in Alberta. The outfitter can restrict other outfitters from hunting on his lease, but regular hunters are still able to hunt public land. You shouldn't have to worry though, your outfitter should know more remote areas to put you on moose. In my experience most hunters are road warriors that won't go any futher to get a moose than the range they can shoot from the road. Your area is up by the Cold Lake weapons base. I worked up there one winter. Plenty of muskeg and moose. I have no experience with mechanicals so I can't really recommend them (although as far as I know they are legal). But I would not recommend them for one reason, moose have very heavy bone compared to deer (probably 4 to 5 times the mass, maybe more). I suggest you use a good cut on contact blade (the ribs on a moose can be up to 2-2 1/4" wide). I would be afraid of a mechanicals blades breaking.(And don't worry,both your bows are up to the task!). Maybe ask your outfitter what he recommends, as he will have more experience with BH's that people have used in the past. Moose have a very large kill zone, so you should have no problem bagging one. I have to admit I'm envious, as there is no season for moose where I live now. Good Luck E-hunter!(I would only use the wheatherby as a last resort. It's just not the same experience.When you get to experience your first moose coming in to a call, you'll understand.)

NuttyNative
01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Congrats on the hunt, I think the Shuttle T's should work fine. I have several friends that have taken 5 Elk with them and another that took a young Moose with no issues. Those are my Elk load. If your a little worried with the 100gr's get a pack of 125's. One of my friends uses them (125's) with a 800gr total arrow weight, but won't shoot over 30 yards. Good luck.
You may also check into the Easton FMJ dangerous game shafts to put more weight behind the broadhead. I believe they are 15.5gpi and 17.2gpi, lots of hitting power.