PDA

View Full Version : Dry fired martin

youngy_511
01-13-2012, 10:08 PM
I own a two week old martin ridge hunter set to 30" draw and 50# weight, This bow has only been fired 6 times by me but this morning an unknowing mate of mine dry fired the bow and i ned to know if this has buggered the bow and what i do from here also any side effects this will have on the bow.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-14-2012, 01:32 AM
Welcome aboard, too bad about the dry fire.
The first thing you should do is use a magnifying glass, and check the limbs out every square inch. You'll see if there is any fine line cracks. Then take a cotton ball and wipe the limbs down to see of there is any splinters. If not you should be okay.

Question for you is do you have a STS on the bow? If you do that helped the bow from over extending the limbs, which possibly stopped it from exploding.

Hope everything goes well for you.
Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
01-14-2012, 06:07 AM
welcome to the forum.
i would also look for broken string and cable strands.check the cam and wheel for cracks or bent partslook the riser over,ya never know.the important stuff is what hutch said.

darkember
01-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Welcome. If all is ok remember to keep your mate away from the bow.

MarE6027
01-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Welcome aboard, too bad about the dry fire.
The first thing you should do is use a magnifying glass, and check the limbs out every square inch. You'll see if there is any fine line cracks. Then take a cotton ball and wipe the limbs down to see of there is any splinters. If not you should be okay.

Question for you is do you have a STS on the bow? If you do that helped the bow from over extending the limbs, which possibly stopped it from exploding.

Hope everything goes well for you.
Hutch:cool:

Sorry to hear about such an incident... that mate was lucky...

Get surface magnified 10X and you shall see damage
Get sufrace magnified 20X and you will see even details
40X magnification may drive you crazy with every corner of crack

Hope you find no damages.

polaris754
01-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Real sorry to hear that happened to yer bow, since its that new , u may have lucked out , my best advise ,is to take it to a pro shop , let them look it over , if it appears to be ok , just give it a good once over each time before u shoot ,You dont want that puppy letting loose on u at draw, not a fun thing at all . good luc!

boobowbender
01-16-2012, 03:54 AM
saw cool bow locks on that ata thread in off topics or you could paddlelock it so no one touches it again. hate to have it come to that. i always had drunk roommates trying to play with my stuff and ask my a few days later how much i pull or how can i draw that much? funny thing was they always pulled 5 or 6 pounds more than what my bow was actually set at

kenz
02-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Well, I did the same thing to my bow. Although I sent it back for inspection/repair, there is a lot of useful info given me by others. To numerous to mention, here's a link to the thead...

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?22830-Problems-with-my-Nemisis

Here's hoping it all comes out well.