PDA

View Full Version : Question about TRG/SOS conversion

Ehunter
01-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Talked to Joel the other day, and I'm converting over from the TRG/SOS to a standard rod and slide. My question for anyone that's done this is, did they send an STS of some sort along with the rod and slide, or did you have to buy your own? Thanks guys!

bob cooly
01-16-2012, 10:45 AM
What bow are you doing the conversion on? Mine was-is an Onza and the sts came with the cable slide, BUT my riser is not cut to receive the sts so I put on a Limsaver Front Mount. I am debating on sending the bow back to Martin so I can use the standard sts, they will have to cut a groove in the riser for this and the idea does not particulary thrill me.

SJunior
01-16-2012, 11:06 AM
The sts came with the rod/slide when I changed it on my son's Leopard.

Ehunter
01-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Bob, I'm changing oner 2 Onza's and a FC400. I looked, and one Onza doesn't have the cut-out machined in. It was an early run bow. Might just leave that one alone. lol Cable wear on it is pretty minimal, and has not gotten any worse since I smoothed out the TRG.

bob cooly
01-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Ehunter, I got real tired of changing out the SOS rubbers, must have gone through about four in 1000 shots and my strings were flat and peeling.All this with a 50lb bow. The Limbsaver is pretty simple to install you might have to serve a portion of your string for the rubber stopper. I left the rod on mine long and mounted a Limbsaver mini-s-coil on the end, the bow is pretty dead in hand at the shot. I have twisted the crap out of the strings trying to get back some poundage lost from the trg swap, to day I finally got it back to 47lbs and that's as close I fear as it's going to get.

wscywabbit
01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
I have twisted the crap out of the strings trying to get back some poundage lost from the trg swap, to day I finally got it back to 47lbs and that's as close I fear as it's going to get.

Not to steal the thread or anything, (sorry Ehunter :p) but how much draw weight did you lose Cooly? When swapped the TRG out on my Onza I only lost a couple pounds, and only had to put in like 1 twist on one cable and a half twist on the other to get them back to 70...

Ehunter
01-17-2012, 03:20 PM
wsc, that's entirely fine. I was going to ask him the same thing. lol I've heard that it shouldn't change your weight by more than a pound or two.

bob cooly
01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
As per another post I had on this issue, mine is one of the first Onza's, riser is not cut for the factory sts. I measured my strings and brought them into spec's and was only pulling 45lbs, so I began tuning the cams by adding twists into the cables and began to see signs of the cables being over twisted so I stopped and ended up with 47lbs and 33 1/2 " ATA I believe it should be 1/4" shorter according to the spec's for the 2012 charts. The info on the Martin site for 2011 has to be wrong as it post there 32 1/4". Strings are Winners Choice. I am debating on sending the bow back to Martin to have the riser grooved and see if they can bring it back to 50lbs. When the bow was shipped it drew 50.2lbs. I believe the only way to cure it is to have some strings made slighty under the 38" that Marting recommends.

Spiker
01-17-2012, 06:35 PM
If the rod/slide holds the cables in closer to centerline than the trg did - then the cables will have to be shorter to put the ata/bh/dl and max dw back to what it was.
Same with converting from the ccs to a rod/slide. In that case, the cables have to be 1/2 shorter to give the same ata/max dw...
If the rod/slide has the same offset as the TRG then dw shouldn't change.

bob cooly
01-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Spiker; I believe you are right on on this assement, the only way to correct this bow is to have some shorter strings made. I am not going to mess with it anymore as it does shoot very well. If I could find the trg/sos I might try to do some measurement/tests, but it is where it rightfully belongs, in a landfill.

wscywabbit
01-18-2012, 10:51 AM
You're right, the specs in the 2011 store for the Onza are wrong; but if you got to 2011 spec chart off the main site, the only difference between 2011 and 2012 is that the 2012 seems to be able to go shorter on the draw. I can tell you from experience that the '11 will not go shorter than a 26.5" true draw (apex of string to inside of riser).

bfisher
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
You're right, the specs in the 2011 store for the Onza are wrong; but if you got to 2011 spec chart off the main site, the only difference between 2011 and 2012 is that the 2012 seems to be able to go shorter on the draw. I can tell you from experience that the '11 will not go shorter than a 26.5" true draw (apex of string to inside of riser).

Well, that would mean 28.25" AMO.

kylecurtis04
01-18-2012, 06:01 PM
I too will be converting over to the rod and slide and STS from the TRG/SOS. I have a 2011 Martin Silencer. Can someone assist me and let me know what measurements I need for a set of cables and strings so I can maintain my draw weight and proper ATA height and BH. Thanks.

wscywabbit
01-18-2012, 06:53 PM
hey Kyle, unless your existing cables/string are damaged, you shouldn't need to change them. Measure your ATA, brace and draw weight before you do the change. Afterwards you'll probably see that the ATA will go up slightly, BH will go down as well as the draw weight. It'll take some trial and error to get back to "normal", but if you just start by adding a 1/2" twist to both the cables and checking your specs, wash and repeat... you may have to put more of a twist into one cable than the other to get the cams timed but overall it's a pretty easy change.

bob cooly
01-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Isuggest everyone who wants to changeout your trg/sos to Contact Martin, Joel has always tried his best to do right by me. It is not a hard swap, but if you are not comfortable doing it let your local pro-shop handle it. Parts should be free so maybe you will have to cough up an hour of labor. If you have the slightest clue what you are doing it's about a 15 min job.

wscywabbit
01-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Well, that would mean 28.25" AMO.

you are correct Fisher, if you look at my sig, you'll see that 28.25" is my draw length. I have my Onza on it's shortest setting, and to do that draw length I had to (slightly) short string it. ;)