PDA

View Full Version : Martin Jaguar

Hotburn76
01-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Hello all, I have thinking about getting a Jaguar take down. Problem is i am getting alot of conflicting reads about it on the web. Seems like maybe there was more of a problem a few years back with the limbs, but not really a issue anymore? really like this bow, but do not want buy a headache either.

Thanks, Jason

Double S
01-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the forum Jason. I have no personal experience with the Martin Jaguar. I am eying the new Saber Takedown. I like the Specs on that bow. It looks like it would be a good shooter. The Samick Sage is very popular. Have you been shooting Trad already?

elkslayer4x5
01-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Back when the Jaguar take down was first introduced, they did have some limb problems, rough finish, and a few other problems but that was a few years ago and since then, all of those troubles have been cured. Now its a nice entry level traditional bow. Well, semi traditional, as it uses an old Jaguar compound riser with recurve limbs, more of a warf than true traditional, but a good bow none the less. I personally prefer to hold wood than metal, like the Samick Sage that Double S mentioned. Again, as Double S mentioned , have you shot recurves before? If not, I'd caution you to select a lighter draw weight than you would in a compound as you will be holding 100% of the draw weight.

califx200
01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
I had the same concerns as you do. I figured if Cabelas and BassPro are still carrying the bow whatever issues might have existed have likely been cured. So went ahead and picked up a 35#er as a second bow to play with. Looked at the Sage but couldn't beat the $120tyd price on the Jaguar. Overall impressed w/ the bow. 1 year 100% warranty then prorated 50% cost-coverage for 3 years. Worth a shot.

Pic from local range:

Owner's manual:

Hello all, I have thinking about getting a Jaguar take down. Problem is i am getting alot of conflicting reads about it on the web. Seems like maybe there was more of a problem a few years back with the limbs, but not really a issue anymore? really like this bow, but do not want buy a headache either.

Thanks, Jason

Hotburn76
01-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, sorry to be getting back late. I have been hunting with a crossbow since I was sixteen. About five years ago i picked up a 55# Martin Dream Catcher, or Cast, not sure on the name. I did ok with the bow but was never able to get that 100% confidence feeling with it. I knew shortly after i started shooting it i was over bowed with it being 55# and i think the strain of starting with a higher weight was hurting my shooting more then anything. Since then i have been wanting to get back into the recurve and this bow has had my eye the most. I am looking at getting the 40# model hoping it will be more enjoyable and less straining to shoot. Next question is arrows, by the charts i am looking at getting the 2018's, also i will be using a rest and a sight to start out with, then scale back as i get better. So any help on the arrows and anything else would be great.

Thanks, Jason