PDA

View Full Version : Early run 2011 bows

Ehunter
01-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Just wondering how many people here have early run 2011 bows that don't have the STS cutouts? I have one Onza that is that way. I think I might have a solution that doesn't require a front mount STS bracket. I'm going to work on something this week, and I'll post pics and let you all know how it works out.
Eric

bob cooly
01-23-2012, 05:42 AM
Ehunter; sign me up as I also have a 2011 Onza. Did mount a front mount on mine but have never really been happy with it, but don't want to send it back to Martin to have them cut a groove for the sts mount they sent.

droppixel
01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Rather than start a new thread, crossing my fingers people see this one. For those with the TRG/SOS is it a difficult swap to make the rod/slide conversion. I would assume it is pretty straight forward operation and will Martin just send it to you or what costs would be involved. I'm looking at potentially selling off a bunch of my non-archery things to get an archery thing and those archery things have TRGs on them.

bob cooly
01-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Droppixel; it is a fairly easy fix just make sure you look at where the cables are on the trg so you can route them the same on the slide. I would probably pass on another 2011 bow with the trg and just get a 2012. Also pass on an early version where the riser is not cut to accept the sts. I forsee alot of 2011 bows getting real cheap soon, if you like to tinker there will be some very good deals.

boobowbender
01-24-2012, 02:46 PM
i really considered buying that alien z on archery talk and i already own a 2011 firecat. kinda want a longer ata. there is a link on the classified ads and he is very eager to sell. claims he ordered a ax and the received the z by accident during hunting season so his hands were tied. you might get it for 300 bucks!

Ehunter
01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Drop, it took me about 30 minutes per bow to swap mine over, including serving the string for the STS. Only problem I ran into other than not having the cutouts was, on the Onzas, the riser and bridge weren't cut perfectly in line. I had to start the rod at the front of the riser, install the set screw loosely, then tap the rod into the bridge cutout. Wasn't a big deal, just kinda suprised the cutouts didn't line up correctly. Martin sent me all the parts for free. Just call and talk to Joel. They will not replace strings unless the bow is taken to a dealer though.

bowgramp59
01-24-2012, 06:04 PM
diy sts for 2011 onza 3

droppixel
01-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Drop, it took me about 30 minutes per bow to swap mine over, including serving the string for the STS. Only problem I ran into other than not having the cutouts was, on the Onzas, the riser and bridge weren't cut perfectly in line. I had to start the rod at the front of the riser, install the set screw loosely, then tap the rod into the bridge cutout. Wasn't a big deal, just kinda suprised the cutouts didn't line up correctly. Martin sent me all the parts for free. Just call and talk to Joel. They will not replace strings unless the bow is taken to a dealer though.

The mention of the strings, are you going to need to get new strings with the conversion for each? Only reason I bring up the 2011 vs the 2012 right now is there are some really good prices and if the conversion can be done and everything checks out with the riser being tapped for the STS - it would be hard to pass on those if I had the fundage.

droppixel
01-24-2012, 06:15 PM
diy sts for 2011 onza 3

That looks kinda slick! I'm not directly familiar with the risers, is that a rear quick release/mount for a weight system that you have that built into?

wscywabbit
01-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Bowgramp, that is awesome! I could almost see you making a little extra in the classifieds and/or ebay... ;)

polaris754
01-25-2012, 01:12 AM
pretty kwel bg , u best get that puppy patented , green pastures fer sure , looks great !!

Ehunter
01-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Drop, On my FC400, the TRG system ate up my cables a little before I noticed the damage. That's the only reason I am going to change strings on it. I did notice I lost about 2 pounds of draw weight on each bow when changing over to a standard slide and rod. Easy enough to twist up the cables a few turns and get it back to the right draw weight. No reason to change the strings when doing the comversion, unless they have been damaged.

bowgramp59
01-25-2012, 02:53 AM
That looks kinda slick! I'm not directly familiar with the risers, is that a rear quick release/mount for a weight system that you have that built into?

thats right, mounted the sts bracket to the v-bar wt. hole that was machiened at the factory for the barrel nut
quick release , same as the front stablizer quick release. as for getting a patent, martin quit making these early run risers when they found out the trg wasn't any good. we all should have contacted CS and got the risers replaced. martin will probly still do it now , i have a lot of time on my hands , so i thought i would fix it myself. works great, bow is fairly quite & shoots great , smoothest drawing bow out of the 7 i own. i thought it might give the martin shooters on here some ideas . feel free to copy mine. good shooting!

droppixel
01-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Drop, On my FC400, the TRG system ate up my cables a little before I noticed the damage. That's the only reason I am going to change strings on it. I did notice I lost about 2 pounds of draw weight on each bow when changing over to a standard slide and rod. Easy enough to twist up the cables a few turns and get it back to the right draw weight. No reason to change the strings when doing the comversion, unless they have been damaged.

Good deal, if I do manage to pick up a TRG bow new, the first thing I would do is the swap before I even shoot it.

SJunior
01-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Good deal, if I do manage to pick up a TRG bow new, the first thing I would do is the swap before I even shoot it.

That's what I did with my son's Leopard. Didn't let an arrow go out of it til it was converted, figured no sense in trying it when it was going in the trash anyway.

bowgramp59
01-25-2012, 06:54 PM
i shot the onza 3 for quite a while before the outside cable began getting flat, busted one sts rubber , then i thought it was time to do something. my favorite system is the ccs thats on the alien xs it would be nice if it could be ajusted, i could move mine in a little and still clear the cables with my blazers. i guess after all is said and done the cable slide is the best deal . they work without any problems just need to clean the rod and slide once in a while . all my bows get the arrow down range & hit what i'm aiming at most of the time, some of the other companys have flexable rods that moves in at the draw and moves out at the shot , supposed to help
reduce cam lean, thats what the trg was ment to do, maybe someone will come up with the perfect system one of these days. G5 has a realy neat looking cam system on thier bows now, a little pricie and i don't want a draw length specific bow ! [ bed time]

droppixel
01-26-2012, 04:00 AM
i shot the onza 3 for quite a while before the outside cable began getting flat, busted one sts rubber , then i thought it was time to do something. my favorite system is the ccs thats on the alien xs it would be nice if it could be ajusted, i could move mine in a little and still clear the cables with my blazers. i guess after all is said and done the cable slide is the best deal . they work without any problems just need to clean the rod and slide once in a while . all my bows get the arrow down range & hit what i'm aiming at most of the time, some of the other companys have flexable rods that moves in at the draw and moves out at the shot , supposed to help
reduce cam lean, thats what the trg was ment to do, maybe someone will come up with the perfect system one of these days. G5 has a realy neat looking cam system on thier bows now, a little pricie and i don't want a draw length specific bow ! [ bed time]

The CCS that is on the AX was going to be something I was going to ask about and how people liked that. If there was any clearance problems. I saw on some of the Martins a few years ago you could get a CCS conversion.

Spiker
01-26-2012, 07:24 AM
I've been shooting the bows with the ccs on them for 3 years now. 2 AX's, 2 AZ's and a '09 Firecat.
I haven't had any sort of problems with any of them and really do like that setup.
If you feel that they are pulling the cables farther over than need be - you can just put a shim (washer) under the front bolt to
move them closer to center. It is really simple.
The ccs can be swapped for a rod/slide or visa versa on all the AX's/AZ's and some of the other Martin models but not on the '11 or '12's.
The riser must have the cut out in it to accept the ccs.
If you have an '09 (and maybe '10 - not sure about all them) and do switch from the rod/slide to ccs you will gain about 3# in draw weight.
Opposite if you switch from ccs to rod/slide.

bowgramp59
01-26-2012, 11:19 AM
hadn't thought about shiming the front bolt, thanks for the info !

09 alien x all black
09 " camo
2010 " carbon weave
2010 alien nemesis camo
2011 " " carbon weave
1010 onza 3 camo

Ehunter
02-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Update, still waiting on my machinist to get the part made. I'll let you know how it owrks and looks when I finally get it done.

Ehunter
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Ok, got it all finished. It sits just a little lower than I'd like, but still works well. Here's a few pics. 556855695570