PDA

View Full Version : bobcat

navaman
11-03-2007, 06:22 AM
i just wanted to introduce myself and start right out the gate with a question. i've been hunting with a crossbow for a couple of years now but i always wanted to learn how to shoot with a compound vertical bow. however 20 + years of hard construction work and the injuries i've had makes pulling back a bow extremely painful. yesterday a guy sold me an old martin bobcat compound bow. it has black limbs a wooden riser and the cams are brass in appearance. the poundage is adjustable to 70 lb. i had the guy turn the the poundage down and i can shoot it. i just can't do it too many consecutive times in a row. it's as much fun as i thought it would be but i'm wonderering if anyone knows what year this bow was made and a little about what fps to expect from it. this bow is in excellent shape and i'm going to start conditioning my shoulders so i can shoot it more often. looking forward to learning more about archery from you seasoned bow hunters out there and if you ever had a question about crossbows i'd be happy to answer if i can or at least refer you to a place to get an answer. thanks again....albert

bfisher
11-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Al,

I honestly don't know what year, but I'd suspect it's from the mid 70's. There were several makes and models from that era with wooden risers. My first compound was a model I (eye) Jennings with a wooden riser.

Maybe I can give you some advice about the shoulders as I have "been there and done that". I know you have the bow turned down, but if your shoulders are that bad then keep the weight turned down as far as possible to learn bow to shoot and not damage the shoulders.

When I shot those bows from yesteryear they only had about 20% letoff and round wheels so were not real pleasant to hold at full draw. Being an accomplished archer back then I only shot about 55# for a hunting setup. For target most men, including me, shot bows peaking in the mid to upper forties.

If you are inclined to begin hunting with a bow then keep in mind that it doesn't take a lot of poundage to shoot completely through deer, if that's what you'll be hunting. Anything around 50# and up will work very well with a well placed arrow, but 70# is a lot of overkill.

Even with modern bows and the high letoff I have learned to back off these days, reverting back to my old 55# or even a little less. The bows of today are much more efficient and produce speeds somewhere between 30% and 50% faster than 35 years ago.

As to what you can expect from your bow? I would suspect speeds of around 200 to 230 fps depending on what arrows you shoot and what all is on the string. It can vary a lot. Draw length enters into the equation, too. Longer draw lengts store more energy so will get more speed for the same poundage.

Just learn how to shoot well. If you haven't already I'd suggest joining a local club and meeting some of thoe active members. Especially the target shooters. They can be a world of help in the future.

Stay healthy, and have fun.

navaman
11-04-2007, 06:21 AM
thank you for the encouraging reply. the bow is set up at 64 lbs. the only problem is my practice sessions are shorter than most until i can get conditioned. my draw length is maxed out and yesterday i hit something other than the target. by the looks of the field point i'd say that old bow is packing plenty of thump. having a bit of a problem with sighting but i put a new 3 pin hoyt sight and i can't wait to get to the range after church today. later on i'll post all the info that is on the bow and maybe someone can tell us a little more about this great looking little bow. again, thank you.;)

bfisher
11-05-2007, 07:17 AM
So drop the weight to 60# or less. Longer shooting session without tiring will help condition your shoulders more than higher weight and less shooting. There is no shame in shooting less weight.

The older I get the wiser I get. I used to shoot near 70#, 15 years ago. Now, with faster bows I shoot much lower. In fact, I just sent in my new bow order for a new FireCat and it has to come from the custom shop because I want 50# limbs. I can get the speed of a 60# bow from a couple years ago so why work any harder?

Just a question. Does your bow have glass/wood laminated limbs? If so when/if you replace the string be sure it's B50 or Dacron. Those older limbs won't stand up to the newer fast flight materials.

navaman
11-05-2007, 12:55 PM
i'm not sure what they are but they're black and at first look you would think they were made of wood.it has these handwritten numbers on it. 1DUHP and 37288 and 2431. it says 50 - 65 lbs. i'm really wonderering if mine is at 64 lbs because the gap between the limbs and riser are big. someone from martin is supposed to be calling me today. i am wonderering if you can put a whisker biscuit on it or not because the shelf? is very small.