PDA

View Full Version : Can the current Martin Compound bow models be disassembled without a bow press ?

devhensh
01-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Greetings !

I am new to archery , and have been looking for a compound bow which can be completely disassembled and then assembled back without a Bow Press.

I found a vedio in You Tube (did a search on string '' Martin limb switch''), showing disassembling Martin Shadowcat and Razor without a Bow Press.

I would like a confirmation from you Knowledgeable people, regarding whether all current MARTIN models can be assembled / disassembled this way. Any advice on any other BOW make having such features are also welcome.

I am specifically interested in getting a confirmation if the following current Martin Models have this capability :

2011 Martin Onza 3
2011 Martin Silencer Nitro 2.0
2011 Martin Pantera
2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
2011 Martin Exile
2011 Martin Leopard
2011 Martin Saber

Thanks and regards,
Devjeet Hensh.
Milwaukee.
Wisconsin.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Hey Welcome to the forum, as far as the new bows being able to be disassembled without a bow press. Well I have heard some have been able to and some have not. So some of the other members will have to pipe in. I know that the Ridgehunter 2011, Leopard 2011, Martin Saber 2011 can be done, but as far as the rest not sure.

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
welcome to the forum.i would add the exile to the list of bows that dont need a bow press.

i have read that some folks with the shadowcat and onza say tou can take it down with out a press but a guy has to put his own body weight on the limbs to get the string off when fully backed out.

wscywabbit
01-24-2012, 01:18 PM
I have not taken my Onza down w/out a press, but I was told you could do it. I did take my Saber down w/out a press, took my string and cable off to measure and repair. However, I had the limb bolts out too far, the limbs kept falling to the side, it was a juggling act to get them all back into place... its just easier with a press. Do yourself a favor and spend $50 bucks for a BowMaster press, and another $35 for the split limb adapters (the long aluminum ones, for beyond parallel limbs). You'll be glad you did :cool:

Speedykills
01-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Ive taken my AX limbs off with out a press,just backed limb bolts out to you see a little daylight in barrel nut and pulled cams off.No problems at all there are a few trick's but nothing serious.

devhensh
01-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks to all for your replies.
Hers's the You tube vedio i was talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b0O5HP-4eM . It looks very easy and convenient.

By the way i do plan to buy a Bow Press at some point of time; but the reason i m looking for this type of bow is because, i have to travel by air very frequently and maynot have the option of taking the press with me.

Can somebody who owns the 2011 Martin Onza 3 and 2011 Martin Silencer Nitro 2.0 confirm if indeed these can be dissassenbled without press . Also is the ''Martin Silencer Nitro 2.0 '' same as the ''Martin FireCat 400 Nitro 2.0'' .

Thank you all for your time.

Devjeet

devhensh
01-24-2012, 07:06 PM
I have not taken my Onza down w/out a press, but I was told you could do it. I did take my Saber down w/out a press, took my string and cable off to measure and repair. However, I had the limb bolts out too far, the limbs kept falling to the side, it was a juggling act to get them all back into place... its just easier with a press. Do yourself a favor and spend $50 bucks for a BowMaster press, and another $35 for the split limb adapters (the long aluminum ones, for beyond parallel limbs). You'll be glad you did :cool:

Hers's the You tube vedio i was talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b0O5HP-4eM . It looks very easy and convenient.

By the way i do plan to buy a Bow Press at some point of time; but the reason i m looking for this type of bow is because, i have to travel by air very frequently and maynot have the option of taking the press with me.

Can somebody who owns the 2011 Martin Onza 3 and 2011 Martin Silencer Nitro 2.0 confirm if indeed these can be dissassenbled without press . Also is the ''Martin Silencer Nitro 2.0 '' same as the ''Martin FireCat 400 Nitro 2.0'' .

Devjeet

Ehunter
01-25-2012, 01:53 AM
With my FC400 and Onzas, I have to back the bolts off as far as I can, then grab a cam and rotate it a little to get the cables and string off. So it is capable of being taken down without a press, but not as easily as some models.

devhensh
01-25-2012, 05:31 AM
With my FC400 and Onzas, I have to back the bolts off as far as I can, then grab a cam and rotate it a little to get the cables and string off. So it is capable of being taken down without a press, but not as easily as some models.

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the FC400 and Onzas. These are the latest models i am interested in.

By the way, i am assuming that just like other models these two can be completely disassembled(for packing in a bag for air travel) and not just for cable and string change ? Please confirm.

Also , i can't find the FC400 anywhere in the new model lineup of Martin. Is this bow discontinued or just renamed as another model.

regards,
Devjeet

bfisher
01-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the confirmation regarding the FC400 and Onzas. These are the latest models i am interested in.

By the way, i am assuming that just like other models these two can be completely disassembled(for packing in a bag for air travel) and not just for cable and string change ? Please confirm.

Also , i can't find the FC400 anywhere in the new model lineup of Martin. Is this bow discontinued or just renamed as another model.

regards,
Devjeet

Cosidering past specs the closest thing to the FC400 would be the Cougar in Pro series bows. In the Gold series it would be the Silencer. Names get changed on a regular basis so you just have to compare the specs. As for having a traveling bow press, take a look at the Bowmaster. It's quite affordable and quite portable. You can roll it up small enough to fit in your hip pocket. The TSA might balk at this and it might be a bit hard on the butt on the plane, but you get my point If you should find a Martin that will not break down using the limb bolts there's always the option of installing longer limb bolts. They can had at good hardware stores or Fastenal. It's a standard 3/18 NC countersunk bolt.

devhensh
01-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Cosidering past specs the closest thing to the FC400 would be the Cougar in Pro series bows. In the Gold series it would be the Silencer. Names get changed on a regular basis so you just have to compare the specs. As for having a traveling bow press, take a look at the Bowmaster. It's quite affordable and quite portable. You can roll it up small enough to fit in your hip pocket. The TSA might balk at this and it might be a bit hard on the butt on the plane, but you get my point If you should find a Martin that will not break down using the limb bolts there's always the option of installing longer limb bolts. They can had at good hardware stores or Fastenal. It's a standard 3/18 NC countersunk bolt.

The tip about Bowmaster Bow Press is very helpful.

I have got answers to all my questions now.

Thanks a lot to you all !!!

elkslayer4x5
01-26-2012, 06:26 AM

Devjeet

You'd have no problem taking a Bowmaster press with you, its so small that I sure that you could find room in your luggage or your bowcase. As BFisher said, it rolls up small enough to fit into your backpocket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/DSCN1658.jpg

devhensh
01-26-2012, 07:59 AM
You'd have no problem taking a Bowmaster press with you, its so small that I sure that you could find room in your luggage or your bowcase. As BFisher said, it rolls up small enough to fit into your backpocket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/DSCN1658.jpg

Appreciate the tip and photo about the Bowmaster Press. I would be definitely getting one after, i shortlist the bow, as i am convinced that it is a very convinient way of doing minor repair like limb change etc.

But one of my main questions was,that i need a bow which can be completely diassembled and assembled back at home. I need to take apart the riser and limbs to be able to pack in a regular Airline bag, when i fly back to my home country.

So my final questions are as below :

1. Can all Martin Compound bows be completely diassembled and assembled back at home(with or without press); like it's shown in the U tube Vedios(''Martin Limb Switch'')

2. How does the 2011 Martin Saber fare in this department and in general what are my other options ?

thanks in advance,

DEV

devhensh
01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Any answers to my questions above?

gravedigger
01-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Appreciate the tip and photo about the Bowmaster Press. I would be definitely getting one after, i shortlist the bow, as i am convinced that it is a very convinient way of doing minor repair like limb change etc.

But one of my main questions was,that i need a bow which can be completely diassembled and assembled back at home. I need to take apart the riser and limbs to be able to pack in a regular Airline bag, when i fly back to my home country.

So my final questions are as below :

1. Can all Martin Compound bows be completely diassembled and assembled back at home(with or without press); like it's shown in the U tube Vedios(''Martin Limb Switch'')

2. How does the 2011 Martin Saber fare in this department and in general what are my other options ?

thanks in advance,

DEV

well i guess to a point all martin bows can be takin down with out a press,some are just a bit harder then others.

since you are going to be flying with the bow im guessing something in a short ATA would be good.the 11 exile is a short good shooter thats ez to take down with out a press and has the 3 pc riser so you really could make the bow nice and small.
with my 2010 bengal i can strip it down and put it back together in less then 10-15 min and w/out a press.

Skbengal
01-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Are you sure that's the way you want to go? You might want to consider a hard sided bow case for when you are travelling. I don't know how long your trips are but to completely strip and then reassembling your bow sounds like a pain. When you reassemble your bow you will have to bring your bow back into specs (set tiller, brace,etc.), and quite possibly resight and retune it. A lot of fuss for a short trip. The weight of your package will be the same and by the time you wrap the limbs, riser, and arrows so they don't scratch one another, your package will still be over 2 1/2' long. With a hard sided bow case you would be able to shoot the moment you arrive. Just something to consider. Wish you luck with your new bow!

devhensh
01-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Martin Exile looks like an exellent advise for me.Just want to find out how this model compares with other entry level and rugged models like the Saber.

Also, i think a Bow case is a must , but still desire the ease of dissasembly for maintenance and long term storage perspective.

regards,
Dev

devhensh
02-02-2012, 05:39 AM
This thread has been very helpful to me , in zeroing down on the Martin 2011 Exile as my first compound bow.

Before i go ahead and make the purchase, i want some final advise.

I checked and found two more bows which are in the same price range are very well respected (PSE Stringer and Diamond Outlaw) .

Does anyone have information about :
a) IF PSE Stringer and Diamond Outlaw can be disssassebled in the same way as the Martin exile ?
b) How do these two bows compare with the Exile in speed, durability , accuracy etc.

This will help me choose one of these three economical and value for money bows as my first bow.

Thanks a lot in advance.
regards,
Dev

bfisher
02-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Can't say one way or the other about the PSE or Diamond. Best I can tell you is to get one their respective forums (if they have one) and ask. You also might want to ask about limb failure with the PSE. If they have the old style limbs that flared out like on the Nova I'd be skeptical about getting the Stinger. I just replaced too many of those limbs in the mid 2000's to suit me. They may have changed the limb technology, but I can't say one way or the other. Between those two I'd lean more toward the Diamond. Rarely ever hear of many problems with them.

In other words, do your homework.

devhensh
02-03-2012, 05:12 AM
I found out today that the new 2012 Martin models will come out with the Fury XT cam. I was impressed, how versatile it makes the 2012 Bengal pro .

I would like to know the following, in order to determine, if it's worthawhile to spend extra for the 2012 models, or are the 2011 models equally good ?

1. How much of an improvement is the Fury XT Cam over the Acu-Trak 2.0 or Nitro cams of 2011 ? Is it a revolution or evolution of design ?

2. Is Martin going to replace the Acu-Trak 2.0 cam in all their models with Fury XT Cam ?

3. Lastly, is my thought process correct, that if a single cam bow will be always more durable and less prone to breakdown than a double cam bow?

Thanks to all of you for your time and excellent advise.

regards,
Dev

bfisher
02-03-2012, 10:58 AM
I found out today that the new 2012 Martin models will come out with the Fury XT cam. I was impressed, how versatile it makes the 2012 Bengal pro .

I would like to know the following, in order to determine, if it's worthawhile to spend extra for the 2012 models, or are the 2011 models equally good ?

1. How much of an improvement is the Fury XT Cam over the Acu-Trak 2.0 or Nitro cams of 2011 ? Is it a revolution or evolution of design ?

2. Is Martin going to replace the Acu-Trak 2.0 cam in all their models with Fury XT Cam ?

3. Lastly, is my thought process correct, that if a single cam bow will be always more durable and less prone to breakdown than a double cam bow?

Thanks to all of you for your time and excellent advise.

regards,
Dev

This just my opinion but:

1. The Fury XT is faster than the Acu-Trac, therefore it will draw a little stiffer, but not as harsh as the Nitro, which really isn't bad for s peed cam.

2. Only time will tell on this. If Martin starts having problems they may resort to using the Acu-Trac, but I don't foresee it at this point.

3. You're doing too much thinking or listening to too many people with less experience or biased opinions. Neither bow has a durability advantage over the other when looking at durability. If anything the dual cam would have a slight edge. It's been around for over 40 years and just keeps evolving.

Thermodude
02-06-2012, 01:41 PM
So Im curious if the 2012 Pantera can be taken down without a press?

bfisher
02-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Maybe aPantera owner can help with this, but I would venture to say "YES". just like most all the Martin bows. There are but a few exceptions mentioned elsewhere here, but I don't personally know of any. If you get one and can't do the work without a press it's simply a matter of installing longer limb bolts, probably 1/2" longer. People don't know it but they can be bought at places like Lowes or Home Depot. Fastenal is another good place. They're just a 5/16 NC bolt with a countersunk head.

Thermodude
02-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the reply, being able to take the bow down without a press is a big deal. I sold the press I had and am going to purchase another, but am very happy about not having to use one with Martin bows............