PDA

View Full Version : This looks a little familiar... don't you think?

wscywabbit
01-24-2012, 03:09 PM

Super Glide Cable Slide

The SUPER-GLIDE cable slide takes a simplistic approach to managing and controlling cables when compared to conventional rollers and out dated cable slides. It's design is focused around reducing the friction that is often found in rollers and slides. The Super-Glide has no moving parts leading to increased reliability and minimized failure in the field. Simplicity at its finest.

From Strothers Archery....

gravedigger
01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
ya know i might have seen somthing like that once...hmmmmmmmmm.lol

i wonder how its going to work out.they look to be one and the same.

bob cooly
01-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Very interesting, I noticed they used a standard rod so all you have to do is lose the gizmo.

darkember
01-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Humm, I'm scheptical. Rollers are used in all manner of pulley & counter weight systems as far back as Egyptian times. I cannot see how they will create more drag/friction over any slider system. A rolling wheel, provided it is rolling will always be smoother & create less friction.

Jake-the-snake
01-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Well, here's my take on it folks.

I was recently employed at an archery shop in Central WI, (Overdrawn Archery). Unfortuneately we dont carry Martin, and I will get to that in a bit. However, we do carry Strothers, which by the way is gaining tons of popularity...Anyhoo, the cable slide contraption you folks are seeing. Bottom line, it works, and it works well. I was skeptical when I seen it at first too, as i thought, "dang, this new company doesnt need any problems"...I was wrong. The problem with Martin's was that their idea was good, but poorly positioned. Strothers has theirs so there is very minimal clearance at rest. The Strothers Rep in our area frequents our shop (maybe 3-4 times a week) and shoots his bow and what not. He has hundreds, probably close to a thousand shots on his bow. No visible wear or fraying. He's waxed his string twice since he got his bow.

Jake

droppixel
01-27-2012, 04:04 AM
I thought the TRG would be a great thing when I first heard about it. Once I starting hearing what people were saying I looked at a few of them in some of the box stores near me and thought the angle in which the cables come into it was too sharp and that the material probably wasn't the best choice. I can see how something like this that Strother has put out could be successful. I'd like to wait a while and see what they say about them and wonder if they will make it available as a purchasable accessory.

For right now, I got nothing bad to say about my Saunders slide.

Just found this

http://youtu.be/Sbd4l_xvdPU

wscywabbit
01-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Well obviously I don't wish any bow company ill will, I just thought it was interesting that another company would issue something similar to the TRG so soon after its quick demise.

I also thought the TRG was a good idea, just poorly implemented; I felt that it was too short (causing the cables to rub at the ends of it's channels) and it was too far out of line; it really only needed minimal arrow clearance and lacked adjust-ability.

Bottom line, I wish Strothers the best of luck, and hopefully they don't have the issues that we had.

droppixel
01-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Might have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the TRG yet ... I'd like to think Martin has taken notice to what everyone has said when it comes to function, design, materials and give it another go. I'm sure they have some good product engineers that can figure this thing out.

Jake-the-snake
01-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Im sure they have a few things in the makings. Its funny how to see some companies have plans for products for 1 year ahead, 3 years, 5 years, and a 10 year plan...I guaruntee some company has come up with something radical in the overall bow design as well...R&D is just fine tuning it to make it SAFE to the Consumer.

Spiker
01-28-2012, 06:03 AM
I shot the new Strothers SX Rush with the 'Super Slide' on it yesterday.
Really nice bow.!
The cables do not have much pressure on them going thru the slide so this might work quite well for them.
The bow was brand new (I was the first one to shoot it) so there obviously wasn't any sign of cable wear after just 10-12 shots.

Jake-the-snake
01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
I have that bow on order right now, black riser and predator camo limbs...should look sweet.
Not to hijack the thread, but what did you think of the Strother's draw? I personally thought it was one of the best ive ever tried.

Spiker
01-28-2012, 01:59 PM
One I tried was the opposite - predator riser/black limbs. Very sharp looking bow! Fit & finish was flawless draw cycle was great, shot was solid. I like the narrow grip. Was really impressed with it. Only draw backs I seen was the need for a press to change dl mods and that it didn't say Martin on it. :)

Jake-the-snake
01-29-2012, 07:47 AM
One I tried was the opposite - predator riser/black limbs. Very sharp looking bow! Fit & finish was flawless draw cycle was great, shot was solid. I like the narrow grip. Was really impressed with it. Only draw backs I seen was the need for a press to change dl mods and that it didn't say Martin on it. :)

got it right on the head there...

bowgramp59
01-29-2012, 05:24 PM
that trg looks like it might work, it is on the proper side of the carbon rod

Spiker
02-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Wow - thanks for all your great input. :confused:

darkember
02-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Junk...read my post about the Fury XT issue and you'll see how martin went from shredding the strings at the cable guard to taking the strings out at the cams

CP you seem to just want to slag everything about Martin. Basically, if you have nothing constructive to say then keep it zipped. All bow companies have had their issues over the years so just live with it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-01-2012, 12:07 PM
LETS GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TOPIC!!!!!

Hutch:cool:

Spiker
02-02-2012, 05:25 AM
For you guys that like the idea of the TRG and/or maybe want to experiment - Strothers will have their 'super slide' available as an accessory.
It will fit on any normal rod so if you want to try it - just purchase one and use it to replace your slide.

bfisher
02-02-2012, 05:36 AM
Spiker, you're a wealth of knowledge. Are you going to "experiment"?

Spiker
02-02-2012, 06:09 AM
No.
I've never had a TRG and my Martins with ccs's and rod/slides work just fine.

droppixel
02-02-2012, 06:13 AM
For you guys that like the idea of the TRG and/or maybe want to experiment - Strothers will have their 'super slide' available as an accessory.
It will fit on any normal rod so if you want to try it - just purchase one and use it to replace your slide.

Interesting ... I'll let others do that before I take the plunge.

rdhj
02-02-2012, 08:10 AM
by watching the video it does look like it may be less torture on the calbes then the martin one...was wondering if there wasnt a way to protect the cable from wear...like heavy duty serving thread or teflon tubeing

Spiker
02-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Serving the cables thru the slide area is not a good idea. It may protect the strings but will act as an abrasive on the slide and wear it down.
A coating will help on the wear but needs to be on the slide, not on the cables, and the slide is already made out of a teflon or similar material.
The real issue is the amount of pressure that the cables put on the slide.
The cables have to be pulled to the side to allow clearence for the arrow and fletching - but if this is kept to a bare minimum - there is less
friction at the slide and therefore less wear at that point.

bfisher
02-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Serving the cables thru the slide area is not a good idea. It may protect the strings but will act as an abrasive on the slide and wear it down.
A coating will help on the wear but needs to be on the slide, not on the cables, and the slide is already made out of a teflon or similar material.
The real issue is the amount of pressure that the cables put on the slide.
The cables have to be pulled to the side to allow clearence for the arrow and fletching - but if this is kept to a bare minimum - there is less
friction at the slide and therefore less wear at that point.

I have to agree with you onthis one, Spiker. The one thing I didn't like about Martin's TRG was that it was, IMO, offset too far to begin with. My eyeballs told me that the cables did track ccloser to center as the bow was drawn, but would stop at about the same offset as with a regular rod/slide. Therefore no advantage whatsoever. To be really effective the cables should track as close to bow center as possible without blocking the shooters view of the sight.