PDA

View Full Version : Onza eating strings

bob cooly
02-06-2012, 01:06 PM
My Onza is starting to eat my cables. Cams are timed and the only thing I can come up with is cam lean may be excessive. Winners Choice Bowstrings maybe 6 mo. old. How can I eliminate as much cam lean as possible? This bow has been converted from the trg/sos and peaks out at 47lbs. Shooting a 380 grn. or 420 grn. arrow. Some help needed here, thanks.

bfisher
02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Where is the wear on the cables? You know, pictures would be helpful. As for the possibilty of cam lean? There's nothing you can do with binary cams other than maybe swapping the limbs top to bottom and vise versa. If that doesn't cure it then you should contact customer service and talk to Joel.

wscywabbit
02-06-2012, 02:41 PM
fisher is right, on these binary cams, there's not much you can do about cam lean, other than check your limbs, maybe the axles. My thought would be that if your getting chewed up a little bit, its probably at the end of the runner on the cam at the last point the cables touch the cam at draw; I can see on mine that it's wearing the serving shiny right at those points... maybe you could take a small round file and touch up those edges just a bit?

wscywabbit
02-06-2012, 02:48 PM
oh oh, I just thought of something else... perhaps your timing/draw length is quite set right; if you're draw is longer than the bow is set up for, you can "over rotate" the cams past their intended stop, that would certainly cause some cable irritation...

bfisher
02-06-2012, 02:48 PM
I forgot to mention that you should post some decent pics. Not that I'm doubting you, but maybe we could come up with a solution or at least learn more about it so as to be able to help others in the future. Afterall, that's what this site is all about.

bob cooly
02-06-2012, 03:24 PM
I will try and post some pics.

bowgramp59
02-06-2012, 04:52 PM
it might be the modual insead of the cam, i had to get new mods for 4 of my bows, where the mod & the cam surfaces meet the edge on the mod may be thicker , the cable will ride up on that little flat surface then snap down into the groove and wear bad on the serving , they make a mod that comes to a sharp edge and doesn't permit the cable to ride up on mod it goes right in the groove & doesn't wear the cable. you can file that mod.
to a beveled edge, better to call joel and get the newest mods ,be sure to mention that you want beveled almost sharp edged mods. may not be your problem but a place to look, best if we had some pics. to look at, hope this helps & good luck.

MLN1963
02-06-2012, 05:57 PM
it might be the modual instead of the cam, i had to get new mods for 4 of my bows, where the mod & the cam surfaces meet the edge on the mod may be thicker , the cable will ride up on that little flat surface then snap down into the groove and wear bad on the serving , they make a mod that comes to a sharp edge and doesn't permit the cable to ride up on mod it goes right in the groove & doesn't wear the cable. you can file that mod.
to a beveled edge, better to call joel and get the newest mods ,be sure to mention that you want beveled almost sharp edged mods. may not be your problem but a place to look, best if we had some pics. to look at, hope this helps & good luck.

I started threads on this very subject with pictures on here and AT pertaining to my FC400. Apparently certain people don't like the facts and have removed posts from both sites to sweep it under the carpet. What a load of crap! My can't a person try help fellow Martin bow users without being censored? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I will post things on sites you have no control over if that is the game you want to play.

If you search google for the following you will see it has been cleansed. It appears the pictures have even been cleansed from my gallery too. Let me see if I can upload them again. I can only imagine was a source of embarrassment and it was thought "out of sight, out of mind" I can only imagine how many other posts have been deleted in the painting of a rose colored portrait. Apparently free speech is only allowed if it doesn't show any flaws of Martin in any way shape or form. Any of my so called mod friends care to fess up?

Hybrix/Nitro/Cat Cam to DL Module Alignment Question My Cable Serving Is Getting Cut (http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1483848&page=2)

Bottom line, the cam to module alignment way off and chewed the crap out of my servings. Martin had to replace the cams and modules and it is much better but still not perfect.

MLN1963
02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Bob

Check your module to cam alignment and see if it looks like the pictures below.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5571&d=1328576110
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5572&d=1328576112
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5573&d=1328576113

wscywabbit
02-07-2012, 05:48 AM
man that's harsh! My cables are showing just a slight wear right at that same point, but your servings are pretty hashed!

bfisher
02-07-2012, 06:01 AM
Mark, I can't remember, but did you ever get this problem straightened out? And if so what was done to alleviate it?

bowgramp59
02-07-2012, 07:00 AM
i got the problem on my onza fixed by working with customer service [ joel ] he sent me a new set of cams with the thinner mods and the beveled edges. couldn't be happer ! just another note , i think the cams are ok , by replacing the mods on two other bows fixed them also , by useing the thinner mod gets the cam and mod grooves more inline with each other!

bob cooly
02-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I think you've hit it, cam misalignment. My cables are wearing exactly where they make the transistion. I'll call Joel tomarrow, bummer I'm 2hrs away from any Martin Dealers and they don't like working on Martins.

bob cooly
02-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I think I might see if I can shim the cams back to alignment. I have a set of strings, not that old that I'll have to replace.

MLN1963
02-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Bob

IMO your best and cheapest bet is to send the bow back to Martin and have them take care of it. One way shipping is a lot cheaper than paying the labor rate for a shop to work on your bow. The labor for the shop is not covered by warranty. They had my bow 8 days.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Bob

IMO your best and cheapest bet is to send the bow back to Martin and have them take care of it. One way shipping is a lot cheaper than paying the labor rate for a shop to work on your bow. The labor for the shop is not covered by warranty. They had my bow 8 days.x2 bob send it back to martin.

Hutch:cool:

bob cooly
02-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Yes your all right, send it back I will. This bow has been a pita with the trg/sos and the riser not cut for sts etc. I will call Joel today and get his input. I was looking at buying another Martin bow but $ is short for us old disabled guys on SSI. Hope it gets back in time for me to take it Turkey hunting in late March.