PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find out the year of my bow

karrick
02-06-2012, 05:00 PM
I got a Martin Prowler Bow from my father in-law. I got it for 150 and trying to find out the year so I can get the specs for it. The overdraw where the arrow rest is says 1989. It has the fine tune feature on it as well. The plastic peices say paten pending. I do not know what my draw length is and am wondering if it even going to work for me. I guess this is all things I should have looked into before I bought it. When I have it drawn it feels weird to me which is why I am wanting to figure this out. I would like any and all help. Thank you in advance.

Double S
02-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Can you post pics and does it have a limb sticker on it?

karrick
02-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Can you post pics and does it have a limb sticker on it?

I will try to get pics of it but dont know if it will be tonight.

Double S
02-06-2012, 05:33 PM
I will try to get pics of it but dont know if it will be tonight.

Copy that. Not a problem. It just helps with identifying the bow. There's a lot of knowledgeable folks on here.

karrick
02-06-2012, 05:58 PM
it will not let me upload the pics. I know there is a website out there i can put them on but dont remember it

Double S
02-06-2012, 06:03 PM
here's two links to guide you with posting pics. the other one is for resizing the pictures. You can also use a third party site like www.photobucket.com
posting pics
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?21905-How-to-Post-Pictures

Resizing
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?20828-How-To-Resize-Pictures

karrick
02-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Here is a link to the pics. Any help is welcomed.

http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/zz174/isaackarrick/

gravedigger
02-06-2012, 07:46 PM
welcome to the forum.
this is the link i use to post pics.http://www.imagelinky.com/
a pic of you at full draw would help to.the string should not go past the tip of your nose at full draw.will you be useing a release of fingers?lots of things to go over.form is the big one.
be sure to ask lots of questions,we all like to help with what we can

karrick
02-07-2012, 04:19 AM
welcome to the forum.
this is the link i use to post pics.http://www.imagelinky.com/
a pic of you at full draw would help to.the string should not go past the tip of your nose at full draw.will you be useing a release of fingers?lots of things to go over.form is the big one.
be sure to ask lots of questions,we all like to help with what we can

I will be using a release. I will try and get a pic of me at full draw tonight. I was going to go to the range today after work. I have a Bass Pro shop by me where I was going to go but I was wandering if I needed to have it set to my draw length instead of my father in-laws. Also if i have to have the draw length changed do I have to restring the bow. If this is the case would it or could it be cheaper to just buy a new bow? I am really wanting to get into this sport and low my food cost by taking wild game. I have beeen watching youtube videos of shooting and as long as I can get to a good stance where it feels comfortable to me then I think I will be okay. I do know my father in-law is a little shorter then I am but our arms are close to the same length.

bfisher
02-07-2012, 04:28 AM
There are several features tha make me believe this is probably a 1989 Prowler XRG. The slight recurve limbs are XRG style. It has steel cables with teardrop ends and round wheels. The riser is cast aluminum or magnesium and no wooden grip. Steel cables and round wheels is the telltale sign as this technology began to bite the dust in the early 90's.

There should be a sticker on the back of the bottom limb with printing on it. Probably not legible anymore, but if there is a serial number the first two numbers of this will designate the year of manufacture. As for figuring out the draw wweight and draw length the best thing you can do is take it to a shop and put it on a draw board to measure the draw length. Then put it on a scale with the limbs bottomed to see what the max draw weight is. You can back the limbs down #15 from that if need be and still shoot the bow.

I'd like to see some pictures of both sides of the cams (wheels) to see how to adjust them for draw length. I'm betting there are three slots in each for the cables to fit in, but not sure at this point. This how most older bows could be adjusted for draw length.

There are a couple things you need to know. #1. if you replace the string be sure and use Dacron or B50. These older bows were not built to withstand the extra stress created by fastflight materials. #2. If you keep the bow get rid of the overdraw and put a conventional rest on the bow. #3. When choosing arrows be sure to pick some that are properly spined and have sufficient mass (total weight) that they weigh at least 6 grains per pound of draw weight. Even a bit more would be recommended.

If you don't understand any of the terminology above then that is more reason to use the services of a local proshop.

karrick
02-07-2012, 05:06 AM
The arrows I got with it are carbon express. This is what my father in-law sent me. I had to refletch three of the arrows so I got the NRA quickfletch twisters and put on these three arrows. I will try and get the pics of the cam wheels when I get home tonight as well. I was thinking it was 89 just from some of the markings on it. I also didnt see a sticker on the bottom limb or any numbers etched into it as well.

karrick
02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
So I went to the pro shop tonight and shot my bow. I really enjoyed it. I had him put a new teardrop string, peep sight and a new slide on it and a d loop. I shot three more arrows through it and it felt better but the draw is still to short. The guy at the pro shop said it is already out as far as it can go to lengthen the draw of it. I got a feeling I am going to want to buy a newer bow sometime soon.

bfisher
02-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Sad to say, but this sport gets addictive, and expensive. Glad you're enjoying the experience.

karrick
02-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Im still going to get a pic of the cams. my father in-law said the draw is at 29" and it can be taken out to 30". The guy at the shop siad it was out as far as it can go. I just want to know what you guys think on it rather or not if it can be let out more or if it is at the full length. Now I am worried when I go to buy a new bow to get the draw length that I would need.

Spiker
02-08-2012, 10:15 AM
The string attaches to the tear drop on the cable, then the cable goes into a slot on the cam/wheel. There should be 3 different slots it can go into.
If it is in the middle slot - you can change it to the left or right slot which will add or subtract 1" of draw length.
If it is now in one of the end slots - it is either at the longest or shortest draw length that it will go to.

The new bows will either have a draw length module that is adjustable by just unbolting it and setting it in a different position or -
by unbolting it and replacing it with one that fits you.
So - you dont really need to worry about finding a new bow that will fit you.

karrick
02-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I posted pics of the cams. It looks like to me it is set to the longest length on it. Here is a link where you can see all the pics of it.
http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/zz174/isaackarrick/

karrick
02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Pics of the cams are up. To me it looks like it is set to the longest draw length. Here is the link. http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/zz174/isaackarrick/

bfisher
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM
The way I'm looking at it the cables are in the slot for the longest draw length. Move them to the other end and it should shorten it by about two inches. It will also drop the draw weight range by at least 10#.

karrick
02-08-2012, 04:30 PM
The way I'm looking at it the cables are in the slot for the longest draw length. Move them to the other end and it should shorten it by about two inches. It will also drop the draw weight range by at least 10#.

I assume I would have to have the bow shop do that for me?

bfisher
02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
I assume I would have to have the bow shop do that for me?

If you don't have access to a bow press that would be correct. It should only take about 5 minutes.