PDA

View Full Version : Help, I want a new rest. I need advice.

96xjclassic
02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Hey guys. I would like to update my 2007 Martin with a new rest. I need advice as well as a lesson. What do you guys use? I have a mid to low price range. ( I have three kids, need I say more?) What types do Martin bows happily accept, or dislike? Drop away or captured? Any and all advice will be so helpful. Thanks in advance.
Mark

Speedykills
02-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I use a trophy taker shakey hunter rest now,been using a trophy ridge drop zone,both nice rest.

NuttyNative
02-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Your gonna get a ton of different answers with this one. I only use the Ripcord, full containment drop away. The wife likes her QAD also a full containment drop away. I have had good experiences with the NAP quick tune 360 and the Octane Hostage. If you shop around you can find a QAD "hunter" full containment drop away for somewhere around $40-$50.

Double S
02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Trophy Taker smack down. it's easy to set up.

96xjclassic
02-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Thanks guys, it looks like trophy taker is in the lead! What kind of price range is that in?

96xjclassic
02-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Are any of these ok for fob's? Just asking.

Speedykills
02-10-2012, 01:36 AM
I got the shakey hunter off AT for 35.00 new the run at 80.00...............

SJunior
02-10-2012, 02:33 AM
Can't go wrong with a QAD.

bowgramp59
02-10-2012, 02:50 AM
i have 6 bows all have quad hunter rest on them work very good! if you buy a new one it comes with a cd on how to set it up.$49.95 + shipping @ bowhunters international. i like the quad over some of the other rest because after the setup you can ajust the trip cord at the rest by pulling it out and melting it just a little , can't
make it longer, have to replace the cord , which is another good factor ,don't have to dissassemble to replace the cord. and it has a thumb bar for easy cocking.

bfisher
02-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Shakey Hunter, QAD, Ripcord. Almost any of the drop aways will work with FOB's. In fact, a drop away is a necessity with FOB's, but I guess you already know that. If not then try shooting one through your Whisker Bisquit, LOL.

droppixel
02-10-2012, 04:25 AM
I was shooting a NAP 360 Capture and then switched to the Apache. You can generally find the Apache on the AT classifieds for $30-40 and they are a breeze to set up.

Double S
02-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Are any of these ok for fob's? Just asking.

Yes. That's what I use. The smack down connects to one of the limbs. I just wanted to let you know that too.

droppixel
02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Yes. That's what I use. The smack down connects to one of the limbs. I just wanted to let you know that too.

Smackdown is one that I am thinking about running on my next bow. Think I'm wanting to go with a limb driven ... and there aren't very many options.

darkember
02-10-2012, 09:52 AM
NAP Apache works a treat:)

Rangerj
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
I will be the oddball, I use a Whisker biscuit.

Arrow Splitter
02-10-2012, 04:31 PM
For a capture rest the Bodoodle Zapper 300 is an excellent rest. It's accurate, and the metal prongs are virtually wear proof.:cool: Here's a picture of mine with camo tape on it:5595

A.S

96xjclassic
02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Shakey Hunter, QAD, Ripcord. Almost any of the drop aways will work with FOB's. In fact, a drop away is a necessity with FOB's, but I guess you already know that. If not then try shooting one through your Whisker Bisquit, LOL. that is exactly why I asked. Lol.

I will be the oddball, I use a Whisker biscuit. I do too. I don't really have any complaints. It might slow down the arrow a bit but I'm really just looking to update a bit & considering playing around with fob's for a bit.

For a capture rest the Bodoodle Zapper 300 is an excellent rest. It's accurate, and the metal prongs are virtually wear proof.:cool: Here's a picture of mine with camo tape on it:5595

A.S

Thanks for the pic. I wish you guys posted more. I'm kind of a visual guy. Also, do you guys have links to any of these?

Arrow Splitter
02-10-2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BoDoodle-Zapper-300-Arrow-Rest-Right-Hand-Black-/220948527072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33718ef7e0

This may or may not be the cheapest price for the Zapper, so you might have to look around somewhat.

A.S

96xjclassic
02-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks looks cool. Are there any moving parts

Speedykills
02-10-2012, 06:06 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BoDoodle-Zapper-300-Arrow-Rest-Right-Hand-Black-/220948527072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33718ef7e0

This may or may not be the cheapest price for the Zapper, so you might have to look around somewhat.

A.S

Only thing bad about bodoodle,WB,Octane pro,you better have perfect form everytime because if you dont they will magnify any torque,and produce bad shots and habits.
If dont feel comfortable with a dropaway then go with a QAD or code red type of rest,they are the best of both worlds.

NuttyNative
02-10-2012, 07:17 PM
I like this rest because it's full containment even at rest. Simply push down on the back side with your thumb & your locked & loaded. Will not trip out untill your at full draw. The improved Code Red will stay locked till you shoot so if you need to let down it's still ready to go. A nice feature that the first ones don't have. You can normally find a used one on At $40 and up. New the cheapet I've seen them is $62.

This is the first generation Ripcord on my Bowtech.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/R3.jpg
This is the improved Code Red Ripcord. I don't like the red at all.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/R2.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/R1.jpg

droppixel
02-10-2012, 07:39 PM
The Alien I just picked up has a QAD mounted to it. Going to see how I like that before I really judge them any further. I still have a feeling I'll end up with either an Apache or a limb driven rest.

Thermodude
02-10-2012, 11:52 PM
I like the Trophy Ridge Dropzone, Ive tried other rests and I keep coming back to it. Its simple and it works very well.

96xjclassic
02-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Are these capture rests compatible with fob's? Or is it just drop away?

Arrow Splitter
02-11-2012, 05:05 AM
Thanks looks cool. Are there any moving partsNone.:cool: Thus, no chance of mechanical failure.

Only thing bad about bodoodle,WB,Octane pro,you better have perfect form everytime because if you dont they will magnify any torque,and produce bad shots and habits.
If dont feel comfortable with a dropaway then go with a QAD or code red type of rest,they are the best of both worlds.I personally haven't had a problem with this. I've been shooting the Zapper for about four years and before that I shot the Bodoodle Pro Lite. I can also assure you that I don't have perfect form. These rests are very accurate. Torque will effect any shooter, because the result of torque is the bow being twisted.

A.S

Double S
02-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Here's my TT Smack down.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/TrophyTakerSmackdown1.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/TrophyTakerSmackdown2.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/RyteraNemesisoutdoorpics9.jpg

Speedykills
02-11-2012, 07:32 AM
@OP i would go with a TT rest many to choose from,Put some felt like double S has and you good to go.Another thing about those bodoodle rest is you use that silencing tape on the forks ends to quiet arrow on draw and for me they didint last to long....but that's my personel opinion as i have used one before.

Pics of mine,shakey hunter model............ya i need better camera....lol

TEN RING
02-11-2012, 07:39 AM
you can go with GWS Strike Force V-Drop Drop for $20 buck on ebay and they hold up very well you have both up & down & right and left adjustments Just change the pull cord to a better cord its to stiff you will not reget it

96xjclassic
02-11-2012, 09:33 AM
I wish like 5 of you liked the same one. Then I could focus a little more on that one. Looks like I got a lot of homework to do.

96xjclassic
02-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Have you guys heard of this rest? It's a drop away with a cord. I found it on eBay for $40. What do you guys think?

Speedykills
02-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Have you guys heard of this rest? It's a drop away with a cord. I found it on eBay for $40. What do you guys think?

Hey have 2 rest in classifieds shoot me a pm if intrested,the dropzone is a good rest as it cradles the arrow where it cant fall off....

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?22779-Few-items-for-sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simple Life
02-12-2012, 05:29 AM
I personally like the Ripcord,no problems with the 2 I have.

elkslayer4x5
02-12-2012, 06:40 AM
The NAP QuikTune 1000 that I have is a Prong/spring rest, not a drop-away.

kenz
02-12-2012, 08:19 AM
I use a limbdriver on my Nemesis (like it alot) and a Golden Key Premier on my Scepter 3. I have no need for a capture style rest, so I can't help there. In fact, if I was still shooting larger aluminum instead of ACC's I'd probably still be using the old TM hunter prong rest. lol!

bfisher
02-12-2012, 10:21 AM
I personally like the Ripcord,no problems with the 2 I have.

I believe I'm going to give the Code Red a try when I get my new bow, but two things are going to happen before I try any tuning. That containment bar across the top is coming off and the rest forks are getting cut down to about 3/8" high. I don't need the containment and the extra length of the forks just makes timing more critical to get them down out of the way of the arrow.

Speedykills
02-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I believe I'm going to give the Code Red a try when I get my new bow, but two things are going to happen before I try any tuning. That containment bar across the top is coming off and the rest forks are getting cut down to about 3/8" high. I don't need the containment and the extra length of the forks just makes timing more critical to get them down out of the way of the arrow.

If your going to do that to it why bother,i would get a octane trip wire or spot hog whammy,.money better spent..........

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-12-2012, 11:32 AM
When it comes to rests. It is personal choice! Some like drop away rests and some don't.

1. ? Do you want a mechanical drop away? if so I would do a research on the web and look up the reviews of the drop aways. These guys gave you a lot of choices to go with. Most of them are from personal experience. But a wide variety so it will be hard to choose from.

2. If you want a non-mechanical there are still a lot of choices too. I would do a research on them too.

As for me I like both mechanical and non mechanical and as of now I shoot a bodoodle zapper 300. No fuss no messing around with it. It does its job and it does it well (not pricey either). I also have a bodoodle pro lite which is great for target. Bodoodle also has a drop away rest as well, they are pricey but excellent rests.
Here is a link to a drop away.
http://www.specialtyarch.com/products-page/arrow-rest/arrow-rest1/doodle-drop-arrow-rest/

One thing I do know Bodoodle was one of the best rests out there till they went bankrupt. Now they are making a come back.

Oh btw I am not promoting Bodoodle! Like you if I were to choose a drop away and I was looking at price and dependability. I myself would look at an Apache or a Code red!

Hutch:cool:

96xjclassic
02-12-2012, 02:56 PM
I am very seriously looking at the Apache right now. I found one on eBay for $64.99,
I've also been looking at a QAD ultra hunter on eBay for $58.89. Both new.
What do you guys think?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-12-2012, 03:00 PM
APACHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

96xjclassic
02-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Ok, thanks Hutch. That's the one! Apache it is. How's that price?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-12-2012, 03:38 PM
That is the same one we are looking at and the price is good!

droppixel
02-12-2012, 03:59 PM
If you are going to get an Apache, go to the AT classifieds. You'll find one there for $40 or under.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks droppixel, didn't think of that.

NuttyNative
02-12-2012, 04:11 PM
I am very seriously looking at the Apache right now. I found one on eBay for $64.99,
I've also been looking at a QAD ultra hunter on eBay for $58.89. Both new.
What do you guys think?

You might want to try the QAD Hunter in the shop before you buy it. I tried one on my Bowtech and the timing on it would not adjust for the speed of the bow. The arm was not falling fast enough at 308fps. That is why I use the Ripcord's. The QAD Elites and HD's don't have this problem.

96xjclassic
02-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Do I need to be a member? I'm trying to stay on a forum with nice people who enjoy educating us young ones. Also its a Martin family here.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Yes you need to be a member. But you don't have to live there:p

96xjclassic
02-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks a lot everyone.

SJunior
02-12-2012, 04:31 PM
You might want to try the QAD Hunter in the shop before you buy it. I tried one on my Bowtech and the timing on it would not adjust for the speed of the bow. The arm was not falling fast enough at 308fps. That is why I use the Ripcord's. The QAD Elites and HD's don't have this problem.

Have yet to chrono my Silencer, but I have yet to have any issues with the QAD Hunter.

Tosi
02-13-2012, 03:48 AM
I see that QAD has a large fan base. I have been shooting a Limb Drive for years with Blazers and or FOB's and has delivered on each and ever shot I'v taken. Price is about 80-90$.

bfisher
02-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Do I need to be a member? I'm trying to stay on a forum with nice people who enjoy educating us young ones. Also its a Martin family here.

You came to the right place for friendliness.

Money Man
02-13-2012, 08:10 AM
I have a QAD LD which I bought from Dick's sporting goods. I had bought other stuff from them and they emailed me a 25% off coupon and I had some scorecard rebate money,. I think I paid $70 delivered. I have only been able to use it a couple times, but so far I like it.

96xjclassic
02-13-2012, 02:53 PM
You came to the right place for friendliness.

You're right about that. I've always felt welcome here.

96xjclassic
02-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Look what I just got in the mail! I can't wait to use it. I'm going to the local archery shop this weekend, hopefully I can get it installed. Thanks for all the help guys.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-23-2012, 12:19 AM
:cool: that's nice, now let the fun begin!!

96xjclassic
02-23-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm sure after its installed i'll have a whole new set of questions.lol.

Arrow Splitter
02-23-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm sure after its installed i'll have a whole new set of questions.lol.Quick! Nobody come back on here until sometime next week.:p

droppixel
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Look what I just got in the mail! I can't wait to use it. I'm going to the local archery shop this weekend, hopefully I can get it installed. Thanks for all the help guys.

Set it up yourself? It is easy as heck to do. Why pay and wait till then to have it done?

96xjclassic
02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Even though my posts suggest I'm a senior member, in actuality I am in fact a newbie and need all the help I can get.

gravedigger
02-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Even though my posts suggest I'm a senior member, in actuality I am in fact a newbie and need all the help I can get.

well heck buddy thats why all these fine folks are here.give it a try and if it dont work out then well,you allready had plans to have a shop do it.nothing ventured,nothing gained

96xjclassic
02-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the pep talk. I might give it a try this weekend.

droppixel
02-23-2012, 04:13 PM
http://newarchery.com/products/2-47/arrow-rests/apache.html

Watch the video at the bottom of the page. You don't have to serve the string in. You can just tie it on like you would a d-loop. Then tie a few knots on top of that to keep it from sliding up with some nock/serving thread. That is how mine is set up, works fine.

Simple Life
02-29-2012, 12:47 PM

Have you had a chance to try the Apache out yet?

superfly
03-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Hey guys. I would like to update my 2007 Martin with a new rest. I need advice as well as a lesson. What do you guys use? I have a mid to low price range. ( I have three kids, need I say more?) What types do Martin bows happily accept, or dislike? Drop away or captured? Any and all advice will be so helpful. Thanks in advance.
Mark

I'm using 2011 RIPCORD CODE RED, is not quite the cheeper rest you an find ( i got it for 71 bucks ) but at least I'm ok with it.

deerchser
03-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Well, is the apache on the bow or what?

parttimr
03-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Hope your Apache works out I really liked mine but after going to two shops and trying everything under the sun could not get the left tail kick out unless you seriously torqued the bow. Very easy to set up though. Put my old WB back on and am shooting bullets thru paper all the way out to 20yds with a bare shaft and three different types of fletched arrows. Sold mint on AT for $45.

96xjclassic
04-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Have you had a chance to try the Apache out yet?

Well, is the apache on the bow or what?

Sorry to keep you guys waiting so long. My family has been in the middle of a move and my wife was having some health issues. She's better now, so no worries.
I finally got the Apache put on last night! I took about 5 shots with it after work today. I must say its nice. I figured I would have to make a few adjustments, but I was shooting 2" groupings right from the get go. So I am really impressed. I need to go get my new arrows cut so I can try out the fobs I bought. Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry again for the delay. Here are 2 pictures. Hopefully this ends the cliff hanger.
Mark

dragonsfire311
04-05-2012, 01:46 PM
used a biscuit for years and then switched to a QAD ultra rest and love it.

Lung Buster
04-06-2012, 02:27 AM
used a biscuit for years and then switched to a QAD ultra rest and love it.

I have always used the nap qucktune 1000 and i switched to a qad ultra rest lock down and my groups have never been tighter should have done it a few years ago!

droppixel
04-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Made the switch to LimbDrivers. Would put one on my Cheetah also, but I think my Dad is going to take the bow and shoot it this fall and the Apache is already dialed in so well that it doesn't make any sense to change it. But for now it is LimbDriver on the Alien and the Bengal when it arrives, which should be today if I am lucky.

Atavio
04-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Nothing wrong with a good whisler biscuit rest, despite all the bad hype about them the biscuits are really good all-around rests. I use a biscuit on my 2011 ShadowCat and my wife also prefers one on her 2011 CrossFire.

I also liked the Trophy Ridge Drop-Zone, and the Timber Doodle 2 (I'm a finger shooter).

Atavio