PDA

View Full Version : Arrow question

jonny4523
11-11-2007, 07:15 PM
I have a Martin MagCat with a 60-65 lb draw. I just got my first buck last night using a Carbon Express Thunderstorm Hunter. The arrow almost made a complete pass through. It went through the heart and the buck dropped almost immediately. So it definitely did the job. I got this arrow for cheap at the local Wal-Mart. I was looking at the Carbon Express website and it had this arrow listed as a 'youth' arrow meant for bows in the 30-50# range. Am I hurting my bow by using this arrow? Does it need to push a heavier arrow to not be considered 'dry firing'? Obviously, the arrow and the bow did their jobs. But I don't want to continue using this arrow if it has actually bad for my bow.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jonny

cmherrmann
11-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Jonny,

You need to an arrow that is properly spined for your bow like a 4560, that arrow is to light and is not good to shoot out of your bow. If you are on a budget look at the Carbon Express Terminators or Rebels at Walmart or go to Archerytalk.com and look in the classifieds, there are always some good deals on arrows there.

wbirdstrike
11-14-2007, 11:46 PM
It sounds like you need to go to an archery shop. The first thing you need to know is your draw weight. From there you need to determine how close you want to be to ibo standards which is 5 grains per pound of draw weight. So if your at 60# draw 300 grains is minimum total arrow weight. At that weight you will probably need to be shooting a 90 or 100 grain braodhead in order to keep your foward of center within limits. Foward of center should be 10 to 15 percent.(example arrow length 27" center is 13.5" 10% foward of center is 2.7" forward of center which means the balance point is 16.2" from the nock point and 10.8" from the tip of the arrow) Go to gold tip arrows web site and you can build your arrow and it will show you all of this stuff. Maybe it will help you understand better what i'm talking about. You definatly need to visit a bow shop and talk and listen as much as possible before spending any money. It sounds like your new to this and I hope you dont spend too much money before figuring it out.

bfisher
11-15-2007, 09:59 AM
You need to stop shooting those "kiddie" arrows. Although you got your deer I would attribute a lot to pure luck. And arrow that limber most likely doesn't give very good flight with broadheads. Had you been shooting a properly spined arrow it would have passed clear through---easily.

You're probably lucky that one didn't snap and go through your hand. Now, that can get real ugly.

Follow wbridsrtrike's advice.